Mini History of Cold Steel SRK and Recon Tanto

jlauffer

Tempt not the Blade
Platinum Member
Quickly threw this together based on catalog info...not planning to add any pics. Have included model numbers, blade steel, blade finish, and type of sheath.

SRK:
Introduced in 1990...I have a copy of the "New Products for 1990" flyer that announces it. Early models had markings on one side of blade only, then it changed to have SRK on one side, and COLD STEEL, CARBON V, and MADE IN USA on the other. Not exactly sure when this change was made.

1990 - ???.........#38C............Carbon V..............Parkerized.....Cordura/nylon

1993/94.............#38C............Carbon V.............Epoxy..............Cordura/nylon with 1 strap

1995 - 1997.....#38C.............Carbon V............Epoxy..............Cordura/nylon with 2 staps

1998...................#38C.............Carbon V...........Epoxy...............Leather with 2 straps

1999...................#38C.............Carbon V...........Epoxy...............Concealex

2000 - 2004.....#38CK..........Carbon V..........Epoxy................Concealex

2005 - 2006.....#38CK..........Carbon V..........Epoxy................Secure-Ex

2007 - 2010.....#38CK..........AUS 8A.............Teflon................Secure-Ex

2011 - 2016.....#38CSM......VG-1 SM III.....Satin..................Secure-Ex

2014...................#38CK..........AUS 8A.............Tuff-Ex..............Secure-Ex

2015 - 2016.....#38CKJ1......VG-1.................Tuff-Ex..............Secure-Ex

2016 - 2017.....#38CKC.......CPM 3V............DLC....................Secure-ex

2017...................#49LCKZ.....SK-5...................Tuff-Ex.............Secure-Ex

RECON TANTO:

Pretty sure it was introduced in 1993, as the 93/94 catalog mentions it being voted Best New Specialty Product for 1993 by Shooting Industry magazine. Also pretty sure these always had markings on both sides, with RECON TANTO on one side, and COLD STEEL, CARBON V, and MADE IN USA on the other.

1993 - 1997.....#13RT............Carbon V...........Epoxy.......Cordura/nylon with 2 straps

1998...................#13RT............Carbon V...........Epoxy.......Leather with 2 straps

1999...................#13RT............Carbon V..........Epoxy.......Concealex

2000 - 2004.....#13RTK.........Carbon V..........Epoxy.......Concealex

2005 - 2006.....#13RTK.........Carbon V..........Epoxy.......Secure-Ex

2007 - 2010.....#13RTK.........AUS 8A.............Teflon.......Secure-Ex

2011 - 2016.....#13RTSM.....VG-1 SM III.....Satin.........Secure-Ex

2014...................#13RTK.........AUS 8A.............Tuff-Ex.....Secure-E

2015 - 2016.....#13RTKJ1.....VG-1.................Tuff-Ex.....Secure-Ex

2016 - 2017.....#13QRTK.....CPM 3V............DLC...........Secure-ex

2017...............#49LRTZ......SK-5.......................Tuff-Ex.....Secure-Ex

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get spaces to stay? Had everything formatted nice to spread things out, but when it posted all the spaces disappeared. But when I go to edit it, they are there still there in the edit window.

Fixed it with periods...not pretty, but gets the job done

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help you with the spacing issue. The new Forums software automatically removes any space quantity greater than one.

Would you mind if I re-post the first post from my SRK Ponderings thread here? It identifies the various SRK blade stamps and sheath styles that have been used over the years. People researching the SRK might find it useful, particularly if the CS Moderator ends up making your histories stickies.

-Steve

Would you mind if I re-post the first post from my SRK Ponderings thread here? It identifies the various SRK blade stamps and sheath styles that have been used over the years. People researching the SRK might find it useful, particularly if the CS Moderator ends up making your histories stickies.

-Steve

No problem...go for it

I've pulled this post from another thread in order to add to the SRK history. Please be aware that it contains four photographs of known COUNTERFEIT SRKs in order to illustrate my point about proper markings on one style of sheath.

After some recent research on the SRK, I have a few questions/observations.

1. In the Rare Gems thread, jlauffer introduced me to the SRX model, the uncoated Carbon V version of the SRK. So if that model was labeled the SRX, what is this? [Photos borrowed from Arizona Custom Knives.]

IMG-1706.jpg

IMG-1707.jpg

This isn't a Carbon V with the coating removed. I've seen other photos of this same model and the knives look exactly like this one. Anyone remember Cold Steel offering the SRK in uncoated Carbon V?

2. As I learned more about the SRK, I was struck by how many varieties of sheath have been offered with the knife over the years. By my count, there are at least six:

The earliest Cordura with single retaining strap.

IMG-1951.jpg

One leather.

IMG-1818.jpg

A second version of Cordura with a second retaining strap.

IMG-1952.jpg

One Concealex.

IMG-1708.jpg

Two Secure-Ex.

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-1924.jpg

Anybody know of others?

By the way, initially I thought that there was an unmarked version of the second Secure-Ex sheath. But in every single photo that I've found of one it was with a counterfeit knife. Several examples (from among far too many out there):

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1955.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1970.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-0944.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1974.jpg

So beware. Any SRK you find with that style sheath that doesn't possess the Cold Steel/Secure-Ex logo is fake.

IMG-1960.png

3. An off-shoot of my sheath search yielded at least six versions of Carbon V SRKs.

This tang stamp, Parkerized.

IMG-1980.jpg

Same stamp but with black epoxy powder-coated blade.

IMG-1981.jpg

Same stamp but uncoated.

IMG-3251.jpg

Same stamp but SRX marking.

IMG-1953.jpg

This tang stamp (more clearly defined in the second photo with the blade coating removed).

IMG-1995.jpg

IMG-1977.jpg

This tang stamp, which I believe was the last.

IMG-1982.jpg

Any I'm missing?

-Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Whip,

Just a clarification that the markings on the SRX I have are not stamped, they are etched (or whatever the process is) like most CS uncoated blades.

For the uncoated SRK, without seeing it in person, I'm not convinced that someone didn't just remove the coating...I've seen several coated CS knives where this has been done, some better than others. That one looks very well done and "clean", but still not convinced. But anything is possible...maybe they offered some uncoated SRK's through Special Projects, and they were popular enough that they created the SRX.

Last edited:
"Same stamp but uncoated."
It looks like there is a black substance in the lettering which I have never seen CS do. I am thinking that the bade was stripped(as jlauffer mentioned), it is so easy to remove the handle and do it. Could be wrong though, CS can really keep you on your toes.

Just a clarification that the markings on the SRX I have are not stamped, they are etched (or whatever the process is) like most CS uncoated blades.

For the uncoated SRK, without seeing it in person, I'm not convinced that someone didn't just remove the coating...

I have a SRX - just as jlauffer has described, the text is etched on, not stamped (engraved).

I spoke with Cold Steel about 2 years ago about the SRX - I was told it was the only - SRK - Carbon V knife they produced that was not coated - this Not coated version of the SRK was sold as the SRX. Only produced for "a couple years and very rare".

Hope it helps.

All good information/observations, guys. And thanks for the input directly from Cold Steel, Your Name. I made some edits to reflect the possibility that the first SRK pictured might be a stripped model, though I've seen others that looked the same. Maybe one person who really knew what he was doing altered and re-sold several of them.

-Steve

Here is an interesting story about an uncoated SRK

Seems Cold Steel used Western Cutlerly to make the SRK ? ? ? I've never heard this before (doesn't mean it is not true).

Search on the bay -

"Cold Steel (Western Cutlery) SRK Tactical Knife, 1980's Factory Unsharpened"

I find it kind of interesting that in the first (zoomed) picture some of the (stamped / engraved) text looks a little black (camera angle). But in close up pictures the text is not black (uncoated).

I guess Western Cutlerly could be a source of some of these uncoated SRK's ?

I don't know the seller or any other information.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate the info in that listing is. For one, the SRK came out in 1990, yet the listing says 1980's. As far as I know, Carbon V steel always came from Camillus. Camillus did buy Western in either 1991 or 1992 (I have seen both years indicated in online research), so either that SRK was from after the buyout, or possibly Camillus was sub-contracting SRK production to Western prior to the buyout.

Not sure how accurate the info in that listing is. . . . . As far as I know, Carbon V steel always came from Camillus. . . . . possibly Camillus was sub-contracting SRK production to Western prior to the buyout.

Yes, I have never heard or read Carbon V being produced by anyone other than Camillus. Just thought I would post the info in case it is true (I don't know how someone could verify it or not - Camillus sub-contracting SRK production to Western).

Any opinions on the San mai SRK vs the 3v SRK? I am in the market and tossing around some options, but I really am struggling to find a 3V SRK right now it seems.

That eBay listing is very interesting and potentially significant to the Cold Steel legacy. I thank you for sharing it, Your Name. I have no reason to doubt the description. It seems too obscure a reference to be made up. I've been following Cold Steel for most of the company's existence and this is the first time I've ever read about Cold Steel having a tie with Western Cutlery. If a seller was going to fabricate a history about a one-of-a-kind SRK, it would have made more sense to tie it to Camillus, as there's a known connection there.

Bear in mind that Cold Steel has never (to my knowledge) revealed any of its manufacturing sources publicly. Also recall that Camillus was a knife manufacturer, not a steel manufacturer. Camillus purchased and heat treated batches of Carbon V (which Cold Steel owned the rights to) from a steel supplier to make knives for Cold Steel, but other companies could do the same. At least one company in Japan was given the same opportunity making Trail Masters, right? We truly don't know for sure which U.S. companies Cold Steel may have experimented with.

That SRK may represent a whole new chapter in Cold Steel's history!

-Steve

With the connection between Camillus and Western, I don't think the entire thing was made up...just that the "former Western employee" may have his dates mixed up. If Camillus had never bought Western, or bought them later on, then I'd say it was either a made up story (unlikely for the reasons you cite) or Camillus was sub-contracting to Western. But the fact that Camillus bought Western right about the same time that the former Western employee claims the knife to be from seems too much of a coincidence to me. And if Carbon V steel could be obtained outside of Camillus, why didn't CS continue to use it after Camillus went under in 2007?

The listing also says "Cold Steel contracted with Western Cutlery in Colorado to make SRK knives until Cold Steel could set up production in Japan"...it took another 16 years for the SRK to be produced in Japan, right after Camillus went under.

Great and insightful reasoning jlauffer and the whip.

jlauffer, the whip - just so I can keep it straight in my head - what is the timeline ?

TIMELINE:

Cold Steel 1st year starts selling Carbon V SRK - 1990

Camillus buys Western Cutlery - 1991 (or 1992)

Cold Steel stops selling Carbon V SRK - 2006 last year for Carbon V SRK

Camillus goes out of business - 2007

Cold Steel starts selling SRK made in Japan - 2007 AUS 8A steel

Last edited:
It was introduced as a new product for 1990, with parkerized finish. Not sure when it changed to epoxy, hence the "1990 to ???" on the first line above. By 93/94 it was epoxy, but the change could have happened before that.

Camillus bought Western in either 1991 or 1992...have seen both years mentioned online, but 1991 seems to appear more often.

It changed to AUS 8A and made in Japan in 2007.

...just that the "former Western employee" may have his dates mixed up. The listing also says "Cold Steel contracted with Western Cutlery in Colorado to make SRK knives until Cold Steel could set up production in Japan"...it took another 16 years for the SRK to be produced in Japan, right after Camillus went under.

Ok, I see what you are saying jlauffer (again, just trying to get the info/story straight in my head).

It could be possible that Camillus was sub-contracting to Western (in the 1980's) prior to the purchase of Western by Camillus in 1991 (as the whip mentioned - Cold Steel has tried different companies in the past). Or the knife in question is actually for the 1990's (if the story is true) when Camillus owned Western.

It does seem strange to never hear of the connection between Cold Steel and Western, if Western was making Carbon V SRK's for 16 years - as the story mentions.

As for Carbon V - I agree, it doesn't really make since if Carbon V steel was still available in 2007, And/Or some other company could heat treat Carbon V steel other than Camillus (such as Western) - why would Cold Steel stop using it after Camillus went out of business.

Well, thanks to you both for the info and the insights. It is always fun trying to put together little bits of information about the past. For the record - I'm not saying the story is true or not true - just interesting.

Back