Mini History of Cold Steel SRK and Recon Tanto

I posted this in my Rare Gems thread, but I wanted to include it here, as well. This isn't my listing, but it's a rare Recon Tanto variant that I wasn't aware of prior to seeing this one on eBay.

IMG-5405.jpg

IMG-5406.jpg

IMG-5407.jpg

IMG-5409.jpg

IMG-5415.jpg

IMG-5417.jpg

Also, I wanted to bump this thread because I'd sure like to see it emplaced as a sticky. There is a lot of valuable Cold Steel history contained herein.

-Steve

How can I tell these 2 issues of Japanese SRKs apart?

2007 - 2010.....#38CK.......AUS 8A..................Teflon............Secure-Ex

2014...............#38CK........AUS 8A.................Tuff-Ex..........Secure-Ex

Does the "Teflon" finish look or have different texture than the later "Tuff-Ex" finish?

As model numbers are the same, it would be the only(?) way to date the knife. Even if you had the box ...

Since it looks like the subsequent Tuff-Ex superceded the Teflon, what's the difference? Or was this just a marketing ploy?

Last edited:
How can I tell these 2 issues of Japanese SRKs apart?

2007 - 2010.....#38CK.......AUS 8A..................Teflon............Secure-Ex

2014...............#38CK........AUS 8A.................Tuff-Ex..........Secure-Ex

Does the "Teflon" finish look or have different texture than the later "Tuff-Ex" finish?

As model numbers are the same, it would be the only(?) way to date the knife. Even if you had the box ...

Since it looks like the subsequent Tuff-Ex superceded the Teflon, what's the difference? Or was this just a marketing ploy?

Cold Steel has archives of old catalogs on its Web site going back to those Japanese SRK years. You might look at the original catalog photos and descriptions to see if they offer any insights.

Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives , any way you could add this thread to the stickies? It contains some valuable Cold Steel history.

-Steve

P.S. - Edited to add: Thanks for making it a sticky, CS!

Last edited:
iK12CMXHQl2OpYVBI8CHhw.jpg SVv39QdXRfSIF%2Ov%WZvQ.jpg Xs3QBXuuSYuamm9tiuSW8Q.jpg Tons of superb research and info here. I could use some help on mine, if someone wants to jump in. I got it about 4 years ago, used. Can somone share some insight as to its mfg date and if its a common SRK? thanks!

According to the history here I would say this:
1995 - 1997.....#38C.........Carbon V................Epoxy............Cordura/nylon with 2 straps
Of course you look too and verify it.

Thanks nephron, I did (as best I can) , but couldn't find a match on the tang stamps. Doesn't look like the '95-'97 variant, but maybe just a insignificant detail. Epoxy finish...sure resembles a bad blue/black job! Also, did all the sheaths come with brass snaps or were some bright plated?

View attachment 1233630 View attachment 1233631 View attachment 1233632 Tons of superb research and info here. I could use some help on mine, if someone wants to jump in. I got it about 4 years ago, used. Can somone share some insight as to its mfg date and if its a common SRK? thanks!

According to the history here I would say this:
1995 - 1997.....#38C.........Carbon V................Epoxy............Cordura/nylon with 2 straps
Of course you look too and verify it.

Would agree with nephron on the vintage. But looks like maybe someone stripped the original coating and then blued it.

So the stamps are consistent with a ‘90’s knife? I can’t find a good photo of that era stamp.

I think the markings are consistent with the sheath(time period), but I don't pretend to be an expert.

I've pulled this post from another thread in order to add to the SRK history. Please be aware that it contains four photographs of known COUNTERFEIT SRKs in order to illustrate my point about proper markings on one style of sheath.

After some recent research on the SRK, I have a few questions/observations.

1. In the Rare Gems thread, jlauffer introduced me to the SRX model, the uncoated Carbon V version of the SRK. So if that model was labeled the SRX, what is this? [Photos borrowed from Arizona Custom Knives.]

IMG-1706.jpg

IMG-1707.jpg

This isn't a Carbon V with the coating removed. I've seen other photos of this same model and the knives look exactly like this one. Anyone remember Cold Steel offering the SRK in uncoated Carbon V?

2. As I learned more about the SRK, I was struck by how many varieties of sheath have been offered with the knife over the years. By my count, there are at least six:

The earliest Cordura with single retaining strap.

IMG-1951.jpg

One leather.

IMG-1818.jpg

A second version of Cordura with a second retaining strap.

IMG-1952.jpg

One Concealex.

IMG-1708.jpg

Two Secure-Ex.

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-1924.jpg

Anybody know of others?

By the way, initially I thought that there was an unmarked version of the second Secure-Ex sheath. But in every single photo that I've found of one it was with a counterfeit knife. Several examples (from among far too many out there):

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1955.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1970.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-0944.jpg

COUNTERFEIT
IMG-1974.jpg

So beware. Any SRK you find with that style sheath that doesn't possess the Cold Steel/Secure-Ex logo is fake.

IMG-1960.png

3. An off-shoot of my sheath search yielded at least six versions of Carbon V SRKs.

This tang stamp, Parkerized.

IMG-1980.jpg

Same stamp but with black epoxy powder-coated blade.

IMG-1981.jpg

Same stamp but uncoated.

IMG-3251.jpg

Same stamp but SRX marking.

IMG-1953.jpg

This tang stamp (more clearly defined in the second photo with the blade coating removed).

IMG-1995.jpg

IMG-1977.jpg

This tang stamp, which I believe was the last.

IMG-1982.jpg

Any I'm missing?

-Steve

Thank you for your research. This entire thread is fascinating and informative. I've had my earliest SRK since around 1992. It came with the Cordura sheath with one strap. The knife and sheath have been heavily used, but are still going strong. The diagonally attached single retaining strap has stretched a bit and no longer secures the knife properly, so I had to convert it to horizontal using velcro.

I don't want to seem like the out-of-touch student who has come late to class, but why are manufacturers' stampings/etchings on knives' ricassos referred to as "tang stampings" instead of ricasso stampings? Seems like markings on concealed tangs would be invisible unless the handle material was removed.

Now I am going to have to dig out my SRK. I ordered it in new (three of them actually, for myself and friends) from the Australian Cold Steel agent (Granite Arms), no later than Oct 1990 as that is when I left the business I was managing at the time (outdoors/gun shop). The CS agent was also the Eagle Industries agent here and I understand that he ordered in a batch SRKs without sheaths and then supplied them as a special with Eagle Ind sheaths. It's stored but I am 99% sure it is a painted (epoxy ?) finish. Quite sure it is not simply parked.

Now I am going to have to dig out my SRK. I ordered it in new (three of them actually, for myself and friends) from the Australian Cold Steel agent (Granite Arms), no later than Oct 1990 as that is when I left the business I was managing at the time (outdoors/gun shop). The CS agent was also the Eagle Industries agent here and I understand that he ordered in a batch SRKs without sheaths and then supplied them as a special with Eagle Ind sheaths. It's stored but I am 99% sure it is a painted (epoxy ?) finish. Quite sure it is not simply parked.
Andy, if you manage to find your SRK, please include a photo here. I didn't know that it was ever possible to request SRKs without sheaths. Since the dealer ordered in bulk and made a special run with the Eagle sheaths, I think we certainly can call that a limited-edition offering worthy of including in this thread.

-Steve

Andy, if you manage to find your SRK, please include a photo here. I didn't know that it was ever possible to request SRKs without sheaths. Since the dealer ordered in bulk and made a special run with the Eagle sheaths, I think we certainly can call that a limited-edition offering worthy of including in this thread.

-Steve

........rummaging in the gear locker today and turned it up.

...........as I said earlier, bought no later than October 1990 from Granite Arms (the Australian CS agent at the time) and supplied from them with the Eagle Sheath pictured.

I am pretty certain that I purchased a SRK in 1989 with the epoxy finish and the cordura sheath.

Back