Mini kuks/trackers?

I’ve always been interested in these designs and after looking at some old Roman knife finds was wondering how these designs work on small scale. I’ve had a full size kuk and loved it but I’m looking for something under 4 inches.
The mini tracker is cool but I hate saw teeth. There’s also the WE Vaquita that looks interesting. Any others out there to look at? I’m not looking for it to do anything. This is a “play” knife just to have fun with a new shape. Thanks for any suggestions.

Here’s a link to the Vaquita to let you know what I mean. https://www.bladehq.com/item--WE-Knife-Co-Vaquita-Fixed-Blade--84610

Himalayan Imports sells a Small kuk they call the Kagnas Katne, or letter opener. Judging by the lighter in the picture it probably has a blade between 3 and 4 inches. It says the blade has been heat treated, so it should be able to do more than just open letters. They also sell a Bilton Which I think would have around a 5 inch blade.

O.B.

Jason Knight did a couple I think...one is called the V2 Ultra Kukri Fixed...he also made a folder

I have found that anything under the size of a modern Service No1 (10 inch blade) stops acting like a kukri and becomes an awkward oddly shaped knife. Since a kukri is made to be a chopper or fighting blade it’s curved shape aids chopping and cutting in a slashing motion, I don’t see any advantage in having that shape in smaller neck knife designed to cut.

closest you'll find sub 4" is going to be just a recurve... and there are a few of those...

this ontario hunt plus recurve is a bit over 4", but pretty close
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL29udGFyaW8vaW1hZ2VzL09OOTcyMF8xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogNTQ1LCJoZWlnaHQiOiA0MTUsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

oh... found the tops cheetah - under 4"
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3RvcHMvaW1hZ2VzL0NIMjYyLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogMjIwLCJoZWlnaHQiOiAyMjAsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

the we vaquita you mentioned has the drawback of max 3 finger grip :(
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3dla25pZmUvaW1hZ2VzL1dFSzgwN0FuLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjogeyJyZXNpemUiOiB7IndpZHRoIjogMjIwLCJoZWlnaHQiOiAyMjAsImZpdCI6ICJjb250YWluIiwiYmFja2dyb3VuZCI6IHsiciI6IDI1NSwiZyI6IDI1NSwiYiI6IDI1NSwiYWxwaGEiOiAxfX19fQ==

Last edited:
I have found that anything under the size of a modern Service No1 (10 inch blade) stops acting like a kukri and becomes an awkward oddly shaped knife. Since a kukri is made to be a chopper or fighting blade it’s curved shape aids chopping and cutting in a slashing motion, I don’t see any advantage in having that shape in smaller neck knife designed to cut.
I'd tend to agree with this sentiment. We sell a lot of miniature khukuris and while they're great camp knives they do struggle to translate the balance and utility that a larger khukuri has. For me the cutoff size depends a lot on pattern and stock thickness but 9" is starting to lose it and 7" barely has it.

Back