Mini-Presidio, CF-Elite

Mini-Presidio II, CF-Elite
CnkhRpE.jpg

Hr4hi86.jpg

l7YbfkK.jpg

I think I found the knife that fits my hand perfectly! (Pardon the long and winding post). ;)

I wanted something between the Mini-Grip and full sized Grip. I like the Axis lock….But while my Mini-Grip is a great size to carry, it feels just a little short in hand...and the full sized Grip feels a little large in the hand, and is too big for carry for my purposes, (I actually have the Hogue/Ritter full sized). Bugout feels too thin. Osborne 940 a bit too small around. My other non-BM knives seem to have varying levels of “goodness” in the hand, as well. But nothing “perfect”.

I’ve been considering either a customized Mini-Crooked River, (to get rid of the orange, and maybe go G-10), or the Mini-Presidio II. On paper, the Mini-Presidio SOUNDED about right, but I didn’t want to mail-order one, only to find out it just didn’t quite work either. So I wandered down to my local Benchmade dealer to check one out, hoping they actually carried them. It’s sometimes hit-and-miss finding what you WANT to look at, even at licensed local dealers.

Sure enough, they not only had the newer CF-Elite version, but also the original, and discontinued, aluminum. I considered the aluminum…but they were bit more than I wanted to spend…and heavy. But the CF-Elite handle actually feels really good, and was what I was looking for to begin with.

(Only the second time at this dealer, and they do carry essentially a full line of Benchmade and SOG…and sell under full MSRP(!). All American Military Surplus in Fullerton, CA, if you are in the area).

So, what do I think? Oh, yeah. I could be a hand model for this knife. ;)

Random Thoughts:

1) My first Black Class Benchmade, and it seems far better out of the box than my other BM purchases. Is quality control better? Small batches of production produce better product? My Mini-Grip required a few days of break in to work through the lock-stick, and my Bugout was a nightmare, requiring a full disassembly to get it right. My 940 was better…but was an REI exclusive, so that might explain it(?) The Mini Presidio? Fantastic on the first deployment. Lock stick worked out by the 3rd deployment. Perfectly centered, rock solid lockup. I couldn’t dream of much better.

2) Maybe my imagination, but the satin finish on the blade just seems more refined than the Mini-Grip or 940. The grind lines are not visible on the primary bevel and swedge. Looks really nice.

3) I paid $130, which is a bit more than the online retailers…but the price you pay for buying local. But even at that, it seems like a really, really good price for a knife of this size and quality. Heck, the CF-Elite Bugout goes for $145 online. Little or no “Butterfly Tax”??

4) And I can’t express enough how “right” this feels in my hand. The right handle length, the right diameter, the right finger positions. Obviously, that is a purely personal experience, and the same knife might feel completely “wrong” to someone else. But it’s great to finally find that feeling…and have a list of measurements to use going forward.

My new favorite knife!

Absolutely correct my friend, a perfect fit for most of the same reasons. blade centering is off because the blade stock is bent, first production, not hitting anything I am o.k with that. I hear the aluminum ones were-are pocket eaters. Glad you like, enjoy.
Thanks for listening,Troy

I think I like my Mini Presidio (575) better than my FS (570)... although I still like the older 520 version (FS). I don't think the aluminum version of the newer Presidio's wears pockets, but I could totally see it on the older 520 and 525.

I have the larger one and love it. It has my favorite blade shape and overall look. I will be picking up a mini version soon.

The CF Elite scales are well thought-out... you can see the little spot left smooth where the clip presses so they don't abrade your pants.

Just to prove how much I fell in love with the Mini-Presidio…..I sought out and bought an Aluminum version on eBay. :)

LI17pEX.jpg

Should be noted that this is the 575 aluminum, next to the 575-1 CF-Elite. Both are “Mini-Presidio II”. They are remarkably similar….but different than the original 525 Mini-Presidio.

As noted by some above, the 575 Aluminum really is NOT the pocket eater. Both 575’s have a nice flat landing zone for the clip, fairly light tension on the clip, and slide into the pocket very nicely. I think that may have been at least part of the driver to go from the 525 “Mini-Presidio” to the 575 “Mini-Presidio II”. If you find pictures of (or own) a 525, there really did seem to be a railroad track of texturing going on with no landing zone notable by me. (Pick pulled from the internet).

hXkQBSp.jpg

Anyway, the feel in hand between the 575 aluminum and CF-Elite really isn’t much different. A little more weight and heft, and a slight feeling of increased rigidity with the aluminum. But really, the CF-Elite doesn’t feel flimsy at all. The aluminum color is a bit darker. The CF-Elite is maybe a little grippy-er. Which you prefer would probably depend on how you feel about a slightly cold 3.99 oz vs. a slightly warmer 3.19 oz.

Can't decide which I like better...but you can't have too many really, really, good feeling knives. Did I NEED an aluminum Mini-Presidio? Well….no. But I think we all have knives we don’t NEED. ;)

I think the only knife I have with aluminum scales is an Osborne 943. I think aluminum looks a little more refined or higher quality than the CF Elite but darn, that CF Elite is light weight and grippy! But heavier scales make a small knife feel "solid" and make a big knife feel "heavy."

I guess I can't decide which of the small Presidios I would like better, either...

Yeah, I have a 575 but the 575-1 is next on my list (it got superseded by the 945-1).

Not the mini, but I had both the 570 and the 570-1. Both are great, but I kept the CF Elite version because of the lighter weight and sold the aluminum one.

So happy to discover the 575-1. I've been carrying the 527 for what seems like a decade now. It is the original mini-Presidio ultra. Basically the 525 with plastic scales.

Now we have the 575 with plastic scales and getting it in hand was a treat. I think that the 527 is officially dethroned from edc status after a solid run with many contenders losing out.

It's a little bigger, little bit softer edges, and easier to clean. Time will tell but I am impressed. I didn't think Benchmade would get around to releasing a direct replacement to the 527. Good stuff!

80116.jpeg

I was all set to order the Mini-Presidio 2 CF-Elite but the online retailer (Canada) had the 737 for the same price ($100 less than the original price). Since I was intrigued with the 737 ever since they came out and the price was too good to ignore, it won out and it is an excellent knife BTW.

However, I still pine for the 575-1. Maybe someday...

I just ordered a new full size Presidio 2 570-1 CF Elite. I’m curious and interested in the CF Elite material. I also want an aluminum Presidio 2 automatic (especially the yet to be released one with burnt bronze aluminum and black M4 blade). I’m excited to check out this knife.

Last edited:
Although I still like my 520, the 575 is my go-to knife when I want a 3.25" blade size... which is often. The 525 was just too small for me, although the old mini Bone Collector had just a little extra in the handle to make it feel right (to me)... the BC series blades/handles are interchangeable with the 52x. On a side note, I end up grabbing the BM 980 instead of the 570 when I feel like carrying that size of knife... even though I still prefer the 520.

Back