Mini Presidio vs Osborne 940

TheJon

Gold Member
Well its that time again, the wife says I can buy a new knife, after spending all day working on building a new dining room table for her, anyways..
I'm debating between the mini Presidio vs the Osborne 940.
Suggestions, opinions, and of course comparision pictures are greatly appreciated.

What do you get if you go do... never mind. Get the 940.

I would recommend the mini-presidio 2. I know the 940 is a very popular model and beloved model on this forum. However, I've owned multiple variations of the 940 and sold all of them. The handle was just too small (very skinny and short) that I could never enjoy using the knife. I prefer the bugout over the 940 for that reason and the ergonomics of the mini-presidio look much better to me also.

Last edited:
Since I have never owned a 940, I can't compare. I have a Mini Presidio II which has aluminum handles. It is a solid manual axis lock knife. I'm quite pleased with it. I you want something a bit larger, I would get the Crooked River.

The main reason I'm locking at one is I have a griptilian but want something just a little bigger, especially in the handle. How do the handles compare? I've handled a 940 before it was surprisingly light. Do either of them have milled out handles? I have a few Spydercos, but never really ventured into the Benchmade side of things until I picked up a regular mini griptilian. So I'm trying something new, aluminum handles and benchmade.

Mini presidio it's a solid Mino grip killer and far grippier than the 940 which is too skinny to properly grip upon opening. It's fine once you have it opened though.

I got 3 940s, the OG, the 940-1 and the knifework m390 version. I also got the mini presidio 2. I actually prefer presidio, probably because of the fuller handle. Much more comfortable.

Mini-Presidio II, a little heavier and a fuller grip, it’s one of the smoothest production knives I own.

I'm also not overly fond of the 940. I am slowly warming up to the blade shape. But personally I prefer a drop point blade ascethically speaking.

No love here for the 940...if you like the handle, there's always the 943; but if you want to keep it between the two you mentioned, my vote would be for the Mini Presidio

I figure I'll just buy both and decide which one I like best. I'll just sell the one I don't like as much. Or convince the wife to let me keep both.

Sorry, I couldn't help but ask- you need your wife's OK to buy a knife? Man, I'd be walking around with sharpened flint rock if that was the case.

Haha no not really, I just generally inform my wife of purchases, she usually just says "ok? What's special about that one?" And then after I show her "It looks like all the other ones"

Anyways I went and bought both of them, trying to decided which one I'll keep and which one I'll flip, I got a relatively good deal on them so if I lose a few dollars that fine. I'm actually kinda of leaning towards the Presidio, which surprised me because I've always wanted a 940, but it just doesnt seem to feel as good in hand. Maybe I. Just not used to the texture.

If I had to choose between the 2 given, I'd go 940 with G10.

I like the Grizzly Ridge myself. The color combo might not be for everyone but I like it. Bugout would be my 2nd suggestion. These two are also cheaper options then your original two knives which, in theory, should gain a few bonus points with the wife. :D

Well its that time again, the wife says I can buy a new knife, after spending all day working on building a new dining room table for her, anyways..
I'm debating between the mini Presidio vs the Osborne 940.
Suggestions, opinions, and of course comparision pictures are greatly appreciated.

If I was going off my bias I would say the 940. However be aware that the 940 is an edc knife first with relatively poor slicing ability.

If I was going at home building projects I think the Presidio is the better knife.

Back