Mini Review of ESQ-1 Vertical Belt Carry Sheath for Esquire/Palmer

Warrior108

Platinum Member
This is a quick mini review of Bud's new Esquire/Palmer vertical belt sheath from this past Tuesday's 7/19 sale. First of all, a big thanks to Bud for taking the request and finding time to put the new pattern together. THANKS Bud!!

For general description / identification, it was listed as:
ESQ-1, 6-7oz (scarred) leather, Ambidextrous carry, Medium Brown w/braided stitching, Vertical belt loop (fits: Esquire or Palmer)​

For a little bit of background: Before I had an Esquire or a W.A. Surls Palmer, I got one of Allen's W.A. Surls Patch knives. The only JouFuu sheath at the time that would fit it was the Esquire/Palmer ISP, so I picked one up along the way. The Patch worked pretty well in the ISP for depth and retention. Even though it is a somewhat small knife, what I really wanted was a belt sheath for it. After some time, I bought a Palmer and an Esquire and felt it would be nice to have a belt carry option for these too. I placed a request for Bud in the Build Board, it seems he fit in some time to work on the new pattern and here we are.

Initial observations, comments and pictures:
  • I don't think anything needs to be said regarding quality because it's top notch just like Bud's other ISP and Ambi sheaths that I own.
  • For vertical carry, the belt loop is exactly the same width as they are on Bud's other Ambi sheaths.
  • The Fiddleback Forge Esquire fits just great, as expected.
  • The W. A Surls Palmer will fit nicely but because the Palmer has more girth, I didn't insert it all the way into the sheath since I'm not ready to commit. (jeeeze, sounds like a date or something ... sorry, mind in the gutter)
  • The W. A Surls Patch fits just great, as I hoped.
  • The Fiddleback Forge Runt will also work too. I think this is just nice to have another carry option for the Runt.
  • Bud mentioned that it would work for horizontal carry with a 3/4" belt.
  • I have not done any type of carry with this sheath yet, simply because I'm still debating which knife model I want to carry in this sheath.

Onto the pictures ....

Esquire:
EPSheathEsquire-vi.jpg

WAS Patch:
EPSheathWASPatch-vi.jpg

WAS Patch Back Side of Sheath:
EPSheathWASPatchback-vi.jpg

Runt 1/8" SFT with a medium/standard width handle:
EPSheathRunt-vi.jpg

Knife comparison picture (Top to bottom: Palmer, Esquire, Patch, Runt)
Knives-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Thank you! You take excellent pictures btw.

Very nice Jerry, great review , definitely gives me food for thought related to our recent transaction??

Nice review, especially since I just recently received my Esquire. Also this is my first chance to see a Palmer and I'm smitten...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks All.

As a followup, I've since gotten an Esq-1 in black and committed so that the black sheath is dedicated to the WA Surls Patch and the brown scarred sheath is dedicated to the WA Surls Palmer.

Es11Sheathssm-vi.jpg

Nice review, especially since I just recently received my Esquire. Also this is my first chance to see a Palmer and I'm smitten...

The Palmer is definitely nice but I'll use it when something more concealable/friendly is needed. Personally, the Big Palmer fits my hand better for general EDC use. Allen uses the Big Palmer handle on several of his knives including the Inlander. Palmer, Big Palmer and Inlander shown below for size comparison.

3WASsm-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks All.

As a followup, I've since gotten an Esq-1 in black and committed so that the black sheath is dedicated to the WA Surls Patch and the brown scarred sheath is dedicated to the WA Surls Palmer.

The Palmer is definitely nice but I'll use it when something more concealable/friendly is needed. Personally, the Big Palmer fits my hand better for general EDC use. Allen uses the Big Palmer handle on several of his knives including the Inlander. Palmer, Big Palmer and Inlander shown below for size comparison.

This is my first time seeing a Surls line up like that...really nice...as a very new person to all of these handmade knives I'd like to see more line ups like this. It gives me a better idea of sizes. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back