1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Mini Socom Elite coming back!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Yohanlegend, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Yohanlegend

Yohanlegend Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Just saw on Microtech's site that the mini socom elite will be coming back this year in the fall, honestly can't wait to see what they look like. Maybe they'll do a tip up clip for the smaller model? Love the regular socom elite, but a 3.5" blade version would be a dream EDC for me. I did not see this coming, was MT at shot show this year? Haven't really seen any videos and such of them from the show. Looking forward to Blade show to see if they'll have a few of these to show off, maybe a signature series for these? Screenshot (22).png

2. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Yeah, this has been on their website for a while now. They're also changing exclusively to CTS-204p steel, so no more M390/Elmax.

There's almost zero chance it will be tip up, as the only tip-up Socom Minis were the original frame lock versions. I'm hoping they do it in .125" stock, rather than 4mm or 3/6" like some of their other folders.

Yo Mama, jeepin and Blues Bender like this.
  3. Yohanlegend

Feb 28, 2018
    Oh then I'm late to the show, any reason for the steel switch? Yeah, tip up is a long shot but I can dream. I'm sure it'll be a thinner blade stock considering the smaller size, it could make a really good slicer if it were.

4. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I heard about these and cannot freaking wait! The Socom is my favorite knife!

marrenmiller likes this.
  5. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    If they do a tip up clip on the manual version I will buy two! Microtech take a close look at this thread and realize tip up is the way to go.

6. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    Patiently waiting. This is seriously going to change up my EDC rotation.

7. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    Totally agree. If it's tip up. My go to EDC will be a trifecta.

Sebenza 21 , XM 18 3.5 and the Mini Socom.

8. Yohanlegend

Feb 28, 2018
    This will be EDC rotation for at least a week when I get it haha.

The tip down isn't awful, Ive gotten used to it I gotta say. The shape and profile of the handle, how it tapers, lends itself better to tip down carry. Don't know if that would be the same for the mini cause of the smaller size though.

BellaBlades and marrenmiller like this.
  9. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I sure hope they don't. They did tip up on the Deltas and those sucked. Tip up is generally good but there are knives that carry better when tip down, and that includes the Socom.

Nautique and BellaBlades like this.
  10. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013

Well , I still gotta stick with my opinion man. Tip up please! But I'd be happy to try one in tip down if forced.

11. HikingIsLife

HikingIsLife Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Anyone hear anything more on this? I've heard rumors about Q3 maybe early fall?

12. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Yep...looks like the 1st post says Fall 2019. Shouldn’t be long now!

13. D1N0

D1N0

Sep 4, 2018
    I’ll definitely be getting a couple of them.

14. Nsled

Nsled

May 13, 2019
    More a supplier switch then steel switch, they are effectively the same but presumably the USA made is cheaper in USA.

15. Bad Rattle

Bad Rattle Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Yup! I'm impatiently waiting. I'd had a 2018 Socom signature and it was amazing but I tend to stick around 3.50" blades.

16. HikingIsLife

HikingIsLife Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Ugh when is this coming?!

17. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Fall, it’s still Summer...

Yo Mama and WValtakis like this.
  18. Pinnacle64

Pinnacle64 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    There goes another pile of cash for me! I have 3 Socom Elite autos and 3 manuals now really love the design. A 3” to 3.5” version would be a must have for me.

Just a note on Microtech M390 blades vs the new Microtech 204p blades I have several of both I can’t tell any difference in real world use or sharpening. Its basically the same steel just different manufacturers and both behave the same on my sharping tools.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Yo Mama likes this.
  19. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
  20. marsturm

marsturm Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I purchased my Microtech M-Socom in 1998, semi-serrated blade of 154-CM steel. I believe I paid $100 for it at a gun show in San Jose, CA.

mbkryan likes this.