Mini Strebig Custom Leather

Kalsu

Gold Member
So I picked up this Cohutta Mini Strebig on 03/09/2018. Great knife. It fits my hand very well and I love the blade shape. C Cohutta makes a great blade. If you ever have the chance to pick one up, don't hesitate.

So now I have this awesome knife and no sheath for it. It just so happens that at that time I was in the middle of a deal with another member here, NJBillK NJBillK , for a knife that I had for sale. He offered to make me a custom leather sheath as part of the knife deal. At first I was going to have him make a sheath for one of my hiking buddies. After dome thinking though I decided I wanted a sheath for the Mini Strebig. So I ended up mailing him the knife and the process began.

I have to be honest here. This was one of the funnest and most enjoyable deals I have ever been involved in here on the forums. I have 6 pages of messages here discussing ever single aspect of the sheath. What color I wanted, clip placement, the design of the sheath. I mean every single detail was discussed. He sent me tons of pictures detailing the whole process. It was great to have the interaction and input from him.

Now that I have the sheath I can tell you it is simply amazing. The craftsmanship and time that went in to making the sheath are evident in every aspect of his work. It fits the knife absolutely perfectly. The leather lanyard he added is just icing on the cake.

NJBillK NJBillK was great to work with. He is a good guy and definitely makes a great product. I am sure I will be hitting him up again for some more leather work in the future.

2018-04-19-02-18-40-jpg.890487

2018-04-25-22-43-47-jpg.894688

2018-04-26-19-55-51-jpg.895118

dAukLou.jpg

jGeVprG.jpg

x4ffivu.jpg

XkYAtDb.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done. I want to get a special sheath made for my Ocoee, and I have been trying to decide on the style for months.

Thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure working with you.

Some other pics and a quick walk through of the process I follow:

Cardboard template, prior to changes to design.
2018-04-02 19.52.31.jpg
Leather panels and welts rough cut
2018-04-08 04.47.05.jpg 2018-04-07 00.15.08.jpg
Clip approximation, for feedback. The horizontal line is pocket lip height.
2018-04-07 00.16.11.jpg
Tapering/skeining of the pocket clip patch
2018-04-08 04.47.26.jpg
Clip seated/ stitched and show panel initial dye, rivet for a touch of color in the darker panel.
2018-04-19 02.19.09.jpg
Finished product, after dye and sno-seal.
2018-04-26 19.55.36.jpg doubled and tapered welt, edged dyed dark brown, light brown panels turned a medium brown with some red due to the sno-seal. Light brown shows where the leather I stretched from the handle.
2018-04-26 19.56.05.jpg
-----
It is good to see the pics with some wear on it. I am happy that it is working well for you.

I LOVE the asymmetry of the sheath.

Per this thread, the Ocoee I have is almost the same size as the mini Strebig. NJBillK NJBillK could you make a similar sheath but mirror imaged for a lefty?

I LOVE the asymmetry of the sheath.

Per this thread, the Ocoee I have is almost the same size as the mini Strebig. NJBillK NJBillK could you make a similar sheath but mirror imaged for a lefty?
I would like to double check the specs prior to committing, but so long as they are what I would consider within reason, it shouldn't be an issue. I may need some measurements from you.

I am about to leave work. When I get home, I will send you a PM. I should be home by 5p.m. eastern (1700).

Back