Minimum mill tooling for slip joint making

I'm looking into a R8 mini mill from Little machine shop (3990 most likely) for use in slip joint making. Is it worth getting one of their mill essentials basic tooling/clamping packages, or picking and choosing what I need individually? I already have a few basics like 123 Blocks with some clamp bits, and center drills. I am thinking
-vise
-small rotary table (ebay/amazon)
-cutters for nail nicks /slots
-end mill for milling liners
-R8 collets
-drill collet
-Is a basic clamping kit worth it?, parallels?

while milling/drilling for slip joints is the main goal, I'm sure I'll want to make other things, like a Metal head EFI fixture

thanks

I put off getting a rotary table for a while. You can still relieve liners without one, but it is nice to get eventually. I use parallels a lot for holding stuff in the vise. I'd get them. I got a clamping kit and pirated some of it to build my liner relieving jig. I used it also when I milled integral bolsters/liners. It's hard to say how critical a clamping kit is. I'd need components from mine, but certainly not the whole thing.

Are you thinking about getting a DRO with the machine? I *love* having a DRO.

If I didn't have a DRO I wouldn't have much use for the mill lol... It's my eyes when I'm doing any precision work. A lot of people said you needed a 3 axis DRO but I still don't understand that... I NEVER use the Z axis portion of the DRO but rather use my quill read out.

A Good vise, Parallels, and Good Dial test indicator. Clamp sets have a few things you might need, but I've found it better to buy items for specific clamping tasks as needed. Rotary tables are like the Cherry on top of a Sundae, you don't need it for the Sundae to taste good. DRO is nice, 40 years ago when I learned the trade the old man that taught me had a permanent hunch from leaning over reading the axis dials and I bet he counted crank revolutions in his sleep. Cobalt end mills will save you money while you are learning so you don't waste money on Carbide Mills.

A word on 123 blocks. If you bought the cheap commercially available design, they have their uses but aren’t as useful as the original Moore pattern blocks. The Moore blocks have counterbores to allow a cap screw and can be bolted together and bolted down to a table

Just fyi

I’d get clamps as you need them to solve problems for your setup and method.

Having a tap set allows you some freedom to make your own simple bar hold down clamps.

8yTwEMX.jpg

GOkpvQV.jpg

Last edited:
Hows the money supply ?

I'd get the basic clamping kit, yes you will want to use a vise, but you still need 4 t nuts to clamp it down

There are so many t nut sizes, it's a bit of a pita getting them and the right sized studs & flange nuts seperately.

Get it now, it's all in one shipping bill and that's probably the price of the kit.

I built my first slipjoint with a drill press a home built grinder and propane forge. Was it perfect no but it was a good first knife. My quality came early because I had the time and finances to build up tooling before I really got started. That’s not everyone’s path and there are plenty of guys that built for years without nice equipment.

Over the past week I’ve been doing videos on my instagram throughout the building process. I plan to do longer tutorial videos and Q&A lives. Let’s push this craft by sharing all our knowledge with each other.

I built my first slipjoint with a drill press a home built grinder and propane forge. Was it perfect no but it was a good first knife. My quality came early because I had the time and finances to build up tooling before I really got started. That’s not everyone’s path and there are plenty of guys that built for years without nice equipment.

Over the past week I’ve been doing videos on my instagram throughout the building process. I plan to do longer tutorial videos and Q&A lives. Let’s push this craft by sharing all our knowledge with each other.
I didn’t know you were on here, Daniel!

Yes, please make more tutorial videos!

Back