MIRABILE / LONG DRAGONFLY CUTTER (TONBOKIRI)

great work! and i love the video!

one question though: why do you say that it is inspired by the jungle honey or the cloud cutter when there was a collaboration piece by don and jimmy that was actually called "dragonfly"?

regards,
hans

Thank you and I had no idea they did another other than the Cloud Cutter

Would love to see pics

Thx

Thank you and I had no idea they did another other than the Cloud Cutter

Would love to see pics

Thx

the dragonfly was made shortly after the cloud cutter, i think in 2005, for a member of bladeforums, joss: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fike-fogg-dragonfly.350392/#post-3105988

the only picture i was able to find is this one, taken from photobucket (i don't know who made the photo):
47615851151_76e582e876_o.jpg

regards,
hans

Last edited:
the dragonfly was made shortly after the cloud cutter, i think in 2005, for a member of bladeforums, joss: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fike-fogg-dragonfly.350392/#post-3105988

the only picture i was able to find is this one, taken from photobucket (i don't konw how made the photo):
47615851151_76e582e876_o.jpg

regards,
hans

That is a beautiful piece ..... my favorite of the Jungle Honey / Cloud Cutter Variants

My history with owning blades named Tonbokiri dates back to over 3o years ago when Michael Bell made me a Katana he had named TONBOKIRI (Dragonfly Cutter)

Since than Phill Hartsfield made me another

Another we also named Dragonfly Cutter (TONBOKIRI) was this very special piece from Rick Barrett & Louis Mills

So as you can see I really like that name :)

This is the original I believe that started it all TONBOKIRI which was a spear (Yari) that belonged to a famous Japanese Samurai

The Tonbokiri (蜻蛉切) is one of three legendary Japanese spears created by the famed swordsmith Fujiwara Masazane, said to be wielded by the daimyō Honda Tadakatsu, a leading general of Tokugawa Ieyasu. The spear was over 40 cm long.[1]

The spear derives its name from the myth that a dragonfly landed on its blade and was instantly cut in two. Thus tonbo (Japanese for "dragonfly") and kiri (Japanese for "cutting"), translating this spear's name as "Dragonfly Cutter".

The weapon, along with Nihongō and Otegine, is listed as one of "three great spears" in the Kyōhō Meibutsucho, a listing of famous Koto blades made before the Nanbokucho period and compiled by the Hon'ami family during the Kyōhō era (1716–1735).[2]

All great stuff and thank you for posting the pic ....I love it :)

That is a beautiful piece ..... my favorite of the Jungle Honey / Cloud Cutter Variants

My history with owning blades named Tonbokiri dates back to over 3o years ago when Michael Bell made me a Katana he had named TONBOKIRI (Dragonfly Cutter)

Since than Phill Hartsfield made me another

Another we also named Dragonfly Cutter (TONBOKIRI) was this very special piece from Rick Barrett & Louis Mills

So as you can see I really like that name :)

This is the original I believe that started it all TONBOKIRI which was a spear (Yari) that belonged to a famous Japanese Samurai

The Tonbokiri (蜻蛉切) is one of three legendary Japanese spears created by the famed swordsmith Fujiwara Masazane, said to be wielded by the daimyō Honda Tadakatsu, a leading general of Tokugawa Ieyasu. The spear was over 40 cm long.[1]

The spear derives its name from the myth that a dragonfly landed on its blade and was instantly cut in two. Thus tonbo (Japanese for "dragonfly") and kiri (Japanese for "cutting"), translating this spear's name as "Dragonfly Cutter".

The weapon, along with Nihongō and Otegine, is listed as one of "three great spears" in the Kyōhō Meibutsucho, a listing of famous Koto blades made before the Nanbokucho period and compiled by the Hon'ami family during the Kyōhō era (1716–1735).[2]

All great stuff and thank you for posting the pic ....I love it :)

thank you very much, joe! that is an impressive and beautiful collection! i see why this new beauty had to be a dragonfly.

regards,
hans

Before I read any text on your initial post, I saw that blade and thought 'hey, Jungle Honey ! :) and what a beaut that is too, thank you for sharing, here's a 'vintage' video of Jimmy Fikes with his Jungle Honey, it's a tad long so probably more than most folks want to sit through, but interesting to say the least, I do not know what year it was filmed in, but, it was a long time ago !

G2

thank you very much, joe! that is an impressive and beautiful collection! i see why this new beauty had to be a dragonfly.

regards,
hans

You have no idea

I have dragonfly tattoos on my back with my kids names in them

This shows some mistakes while playing with a bull whip :)

I even have a boat named Dragonfly ...... notice the dragonfly on the lower part of rudder :)

So I definitely have a strange fascination for them :)

Before I read any text on your initial post, I saw that blade and thought 'hey, Jungle Honey ! :) and what a beaut that is too, thank you for sharing, here's a 'vintage' video of Jimmy Fikes with his Jungle Honey, it's a tad long so probably more than most folks want to sit through, but interesting to say the least, I do not know what year it was filmed in, but, it was a long time ago !

G2

Hi Gary

I’ve watched that video many many times

Jimmy is the man

The 2X4 cuts are the best

He cuts one in two cuts

It’s impressive

Might have to try it :)

Last edited:
David certainly has a great sense of design for aesthetics and what absolutely works - and the talent and skill to bring it to life. What a fun and great looking piece. Love proportions of the blade and curve of that edge. David’s handle construction is classy and functional, as we can expect.

Paul’s work is gorgeous, as always, and adds the finishing character to a finely completed package.

Your videos, Joey, are always just plain well done and fun. Of course, they are also informative and demonstrate the qualities, capabilities, and beauty of the blades you share with us.

Thanks for sharing this fine piece, Joey, David, and Paul. Mike

David certainly has a great sense of design for aesthetics and what absolutely works - and the talent and skill to bring it to life. What a fun and great looking piece. Love proportions of the blade and curve of that edge. David’s handle construction is classy and functional, as we can expect.

Paul’s work is gorgeous, as always, and adds the finishing character to a finely completed package.

Your videos, Joey, are always just plain well done and fun. Of course, they are also informative and demonstrate the qualities, capabilities, and beauty of the blades you share with us.

Thanks for sharing this fine piece, Joey, David, and Paul. Mike

Thx Mike

I really appreciate the kind words

See you soon in Atlanta buddy

You can see in this pic of cutting a single mat target there are two cuts the draw cut and the upper cut and the mat is still in place.... it’s fast

On this double mat target I had to pit a bit more effort :)

Fantastic!!!!! Thanks, Brother....

The ‘Terrible Trio’....David, Joe, and Paul

It’s always great to see one of your presentations, especially when it’s David’s work and Paul’s leather.

I’m very sure that Jimmy is pleased and it’s wonderful to hear that you guys were able to get with him about this.....

Dudley

As you know Jimmy is a good dude and we would not think about paying homage to him with out his blessing

David is doing one more of these in full mountings for the Blade Show ..... should be spectacular

Here is just the cuts from the video

Some slow mo action also

This piece has inspired me to blow the dust off my cutting and start cutting a lot more

It’s been years since I cut a lot and by the time I was running low on targets I was just getting some speed back

Expect more and a lot faster :)

Back