How To Mirror polished blade - CRK SS PJ

rsz_crk_ss_pj_bf.jpg

I have a small sebenza with a scotch brite finish
and I wanted to put a mirror finish on the blade.
Has anyone done this before and what method did you use?
TIA

I have done it on some other stuff. Wouldn't be hard on a ti handle. After scotch brite go with 1000,1200,1500,2000 and 2500 wet-dry sandpaper. If you want to go more than that you can get 20 and 30k paper at Hobby Lobby.

He is looking to polish the blade.

Frankly if you don't know what you're doing or have to ask how to mirror polish it, I wouldn't do it. Not trying to be a dick, but it will turn out seriously bunk.

Yeah,polishing the blade is a whole other beast.

It seems out of my reach, next option is to find someone to do it for me.
What equipment should they be using? Not sandpaper I'm guessing.

It seems out of my reach, next option is to find someone to do it for me.
What equipment should they be using? Not sandpaper I'm guessing.

You can use sand paper and go up the grits, it would take an incredible amount of time and dedication. You miss a single scratch on the previous grit and it will
be there when you get to the mirror and look terrible.

For tolerances I wouldn't advise messing with the entire pivot area or detent ball track. Maybe just polishing the primary bevel and leave the rest stonewashed.

Are you planning on using the blade at all? A mirror polish on a blade is not really something I'd want. Unless of course you never plan on using the blade for anything ever.

Every scratch will take a small piece of your soul.

You can use sand paper and go up the grits, it would take an incredible amount of time and dedication. You miss a single scratch on the previous grit and it will

For tolerances I wouldn't advise messing with the entire pivot area or detent ball track. Maybe just polishing the primary bevel and leave the rest stonewashed.

Are you planning on using the blade at all? A mirror polish on a blade is not really something I'd want. Unless of course you never plan on using the blade for anything ever.

And imagine the piece of work it will take to do this properly around the thumb stud...

The precision needed in using sandpaper is beyond me, a buffer / disc polisher would produce more even results?
The blade isn't really a user, more to look at and play with.

Would Flitz work?

And imagine the piece of work it will take to do this properly around the thumb stud...

Exactly, which is why i'd say primary bevel only.

Would Flitz work?

It would......after working up the grits to about 3000. I usually work to 3000 grit and then use flitz or 0.5 micron diamond spray (usually this).

Stonewash hit with flitz would just shine the current finish.

Flitz used every day for a few years will give a much shinier blade, but not mirror polish. I have a polished blade and Flitz over the years has made the flats a lot shinier, but not as shiny as the hollow grind.

I began with a stainless steel scourer that I use for washing heavy pots n pans.

Dremel and Flitz have produced a satin finish
as ole brownshoe stated.
This took about half an hour.

20190511_102413_3.jpg

Back