• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Miserable POS SURFACE GRINDER for sale!

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
For the last 15 years this miserable piece of sh*t surface grinder has been the bane of my existence. Now it can be the bane of yours!

Learn about:
Overheating metal!
Warping!
Potentially deadly wheel grenades!
Annoying surface finish problems that make no sense!
Dust!
Noise!
Incredibly tedious manual cranking!

Not only that but this is a particularly sh*tty surface grinder because:
If run for hours it will get hot!
It only makes 3/4 HP!
The original three phase motor burned up and instead of taking the opportunity to replace it with a single phase motor I used another three phase motor! Ha Ha Ha Ha!
That plug and switch don't go to anything and it doesn't even have an on-off switch!

I'll post pictures to this thread from my phone in a minute

Resized_20181025_080219001_5523.jpeg Resized_20181025_080124001_3613.jpeg Resized_20181025_080236001_1508.jpeg Resized_20181025_080204001_5196.jpeg

This is an old Delta Rockwell 5X10 tool room surface grinder. It is not capable of the beautiful precision ground surface finish you see on the side of Chris Reeve's Mnandi. No grinder in this price range is. What it does do is grind stuff flat accurately. We use it frequently to resurface platens that have grooves worn in them. I used it to tune the sear in a gun and to size some keyway stock and other small precision grinding jobs like fixturing etc. If you need a small surface grinder cheap this is it. It's actually a pretty good grinder for what it is, a lot of these are wore into canoes but this one is flat. We're getting rid of it because we replaced it with a much bigger equally POS surface grinder and there is no room.

220 three phase
B&S permanent magnate chuck
kinda heavy

$350. You have to come pick it up in Mooresville NC. We might be able to lift it onto your trailer with an engine hoist.

Last edited:
I have no idea what I’ve ever done to you to make you hate me enough to will me the Old Pig.

LOL. Good candidate for a dedicated "Nail Nick Grinder", like my equally shitty Doall 612. If nobody else wants it, let me know, I'll take it as a dedicated choil notcher or similar. I'll be out in Mebane buying a deadly Lodge & Shipley Powerturn (18x36ish but 8,000lbs and 20hp spindle motor!) monster either right before, or right after thanksgiving, and could pick it up.

Spindle bearings ok?

LOL. Good candidate for a dedicated "Nail Nick Grinder", like my equally shitty Doall 612. If nobody else wants it, let me know, I'll take it as a dedicated choil notcher or similar. I'll be out in Mebane buying a deadly Lodge & Shipley Powerturn (18x36ish but 8,000lbs and 20hp spindle motor!) monster either right before, or right after thanksgiving, and could pick it up.

Spindle bearings ok?

Yeah they're fine as far as I can tell. I mean, they get hot after a while. But they're oiled from an oil cup like an old tractor PTO shaft.

…other ABEC7 super precision spindle bearings in other machines in the shop are not lubricated in this way... I swear the engineers who designed this were probably French.

Actually this is a great candidate for converting to belt. I know this as I have the same machine and it was an easy build to switch to belt. If it was local I know of several folks who would jump on this. A steal of a price.

Lol you think you got it bad...

I have the same exact surface grinder. Only mine was the victim of some workers temper tantrum. I guess a couple owners before me had an employee that took a large hammer to a few machines in the shop. He outright destroyed a Harig surface grinder, and knocked the hell out of mine. He broke the motor and side plate that the pulley system mounts to. It’s now a “project” of mine that sits in the back of the garage. I traded one of my no frills gyutos for it, so I don’t have much invested in it at least. Maybe I’ll snap a pic or two to make you feel a little better about your beat up old guy.

Back