^&%$#@! mismarked handle material!

What a weekend. Friday night tried to HT two blades, and on both of them my clay popped off twice. :grumpy: Set those aside, and I drilled, shaped and glued up scales for a sold knife. I ordered the material from Koval's and it was supposed to be 1/8" thick black canvas Micarta. When it came in, my invoice said "black canvas Micarta" and the label on the sheet had some number with a "C" after it, which is how they designate their canvas Micarta. Saturday I started working on the knife and I'm grinding a little and grinding a little more, and a little more, and just not seeing any layers. To make a long story short, my "black canvas Micarta" is black PAPER Micarta. Not exactly the same thing, now, is it??! I understand mistakes happen, but this peeves me for three reasons: 1) I don't use paper Micarta, so it's a waste of $$. Alright fine, whatever. 2) I don't have a supply of the Micarta I thought I had, so now I'll have to order it again, waste money on shipping, etc. Alright, fine, whatever. 3) I burned up an entire weekend finishing a knife with the wrong handle material, and it'll take more than a little effort to bust the scales off, clean the handle up and do it all over again. That's the real kicker. Damn.

To top it all off, I finally got my clay to stick to those two knives, but my ashi lines were applied a little too thick, so the hamon comes down into the edge, meaning 7 more normalization cycles on each one, reapplication of the clay, etc etc etc. Not my weekend for knifemaking, that's for dang sure.

Did anyone else get this mismarked junk from Koval's???

I've never had any problems dealing with Koval, I bet if you call or write them and let them know of the mistake they'll make it right by you. Nothing can replace the time and annoyance factor though, I'd be a little peeved too, only shipping mistake I ever had was getting a double shipment of O1 from toolanddie, but that one didn't bug me so much for some reason. :D

Hmmm, it aint that difficult to look at paper and canvas micarta and see the difference, Steve.
What happened, you not gettin enough sleep? :)

I'm with L6.Couldn't you tell the diference? since you said you have stocked it I assume you know what it looks like.Maybe staring at all those ashi lines made you see cross hatching in everything.
Just a bit of samantics,but the hamon doesn't come down towards the edge.The yakiba rises up and creates the hamon.If the hamon goes into the ha,then the ha was never hardened to start with.

Some days we better just stay in front of the computer... :eek:

Back