Mk.1 Navy, Just a good knife.

My EDC is a newer Mk1, kraton and kydex. Great knife. Only thing I did was to take belt keepers and some cord to set it up for scout carry, hanging about an inch below belt line. Only complaint that needle tip rolled over at some point and it lost about 1/64 off the very tip but that stuff can happen from time to time on a constant carry blade.

Nice work. How difficult was it to remove the pommel pin? Was it friction fit or glued? I haven't had to remove a "modern" one yet.

Thanks for your comments!

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton : I think it was friction fit. I got it out by carefully centerpunching and drilling it out with a 1/8" drill bit. It only went through half of the pommel and the tang. I drilled about 1/4" further into the other side of the pommel, so there's more support for the pin. I used a stainless one.

Thanks for your comments!

zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton : I think it was friction fit. I got it out by carefully centerpunching and drilling it out with a 1/8" drill bit. It only went through half of the pommel and the tang. I drilled about 1/4" further into the other side of the pommel, so there's more support for the pin. I used a stainless one.

Your work makes me want to get one and go the theatre knife route with it.

ROEXsK7.jpg

on6ieWs.jpg

Sweet knife, Zanussi01! I get some Randall vibes from it!
Thanks edge-maker!This is the first one I rehandled a while back now.
I have done about half a dozen since,some with all stag,some with stag and leather like the model 25 Randall.
I never liked the original handle,especially the handle shape and pommel.
What I did like is the blade,1095CV in good hardness and flat grind,nice!
With this style handle I've able to make it feel longer than it is,lighter,and better balanced,at least for me.
I have rehandled two others which didn't have metal pommels,(think Randall model 5-6 'Bradford Angier' style) and as such
wasn't constrained by the tang length,or lack thereof in this case.
No pics though unfortunately,thanks extortion bucket,love your work!
These are fun little projects to do on rainy days or weekends.:thumbsup:

Well my brother told his oldest daughter to get ready for deer hunting and gather her gear. She waited till I showed up, went in my car, grabbed my deer dragging rope, mini toboggan, and my Mk. 1 knife but she did steal her dad's hack saw with a few spare blade. Turns out she did that a few years in a row and never told any one. Guess I know what to order her for x-mass now.

That's just cool stuff right there, I love seeing kids get out in the woods.

A Mark 1 Christmas present would be one that generates memories for years to come.
Unlike a gift card to some mall store.

I recently bought a new but damaged Mk1...

And turned it into this....

stripped the blade, guard and pommel, and blued everything, replaced the Kraton handle with Birchbark and reindeer horn spacers.

If you ever decide to part with that pretty girl, Let me know!

For those who have not a held birch bark handle in their hands. It is like woodsy velvet. Soft, grippy, and virtually maintenance free.

Back