Mnandi: My latest Obsession

I wish the Mnandi was 2.5" instead of 2.75". When I would use it I would be in Chicago and the knife laws there restrict anything larger than 2.5". This makes me use the Benchmade Megumi which is nice but the fit and finish is lacking.

901e7404-7bff-40f1-a512-7d75d6173680_zpsa5sukmlr.jpg

Oooooh...that's purty ;)

Yep, it is.... :D

So I finally found where I'd packed my Ren Wax, got it polished up, and put it to work. Here it's opening.... what else.... another Mnandi! :D :D

OpeningEngraved_zps8csywocn.jpg

So I guess you want to see the other Mnandi... ;)

EngravedFront_zpsgjutyyff.jpg

EngravedBack_zpszx6wdyjs.jpg

EngravedClose_zpspuo9zvh4.jpg

LW what is the tiny hole in the blade on that amazing Mnandi? Most visible in the second pic?

Do you have scheme or focus to you Mnandi hoard or is it simply shiny/gorgeous, I need that one I'm my collection?

Thanks for the wonderful pics, it's always fascinating to see collections grow and transition!

Nick

I just bought a Madagascar Ebony Mnandi... Here is a pic from it from Knivesshipfree

chris-reeve-mnandi-ebony-3__38609.1484342974.1280.1280.jpg

I will post pics of it once I get it.

I love Mnandi's...so cool looking. I was talking knives with my son-in-law (lives up north), told him a Mnandi is the perfect "church knife"...he still laughs about it...although it's true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Mnandi's...so cool looking. I was talking knives with my son-in-law (lives up north), told him a Mnandi is the perfect "church knife"...he still laughs about it...although it's true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL indeed it is a perfect EWC: everywhere carry

Inviato da mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk HD

Do you have scheme or focus to you Mnandi hoard or is it simply shiny/gorgeous, I need that one I'm my collection?

Nick

This is a nice to have Mnandi.
I mean if you follow a strictly CRK Mnandi series, no it is not a must.
It is advisable that you buy classic one since the engraving it is not made by CRK.
They only did some decorated pin.

If you have all you can add it to your collection since they are beautiful.

These are some other

TI65LC.jpg

W7pxP5.jpg

And with the same logic I told you since I have more then one mammoth ivory I decided to have this engraved.

fNUiuh.jpg

Yep, it is.... :D

So I finally found where I'd packed my Ren Wax, got it polished up, and put it to work. Here it's opening.... what else.... another Mnandi! :D :D

OpeningEngraved_zps8csywocn.jpg

So I guess you want to see the other Mnandi... ;)

EngravedFront_zpsgjutyyff.jpg

EngravedBack_zpszx6wdyjs.jpg

EngravedClose_zpspuo9zvh4.jpg

I knew you would finally breakdown and get one of the engraved ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a nice to have Mnandi.
I mean if you follow a strictly CRK Mnandi series, no it is not a must.
It is advisable that you buy classic one since the engraving it is not made by CRK.
They only did some decorated pin.

If you have all you can add it to your collection since they are beautiful.

These are some other

TI65LC.jpg

W7pxP5.jpg

And with the same logic I told you since I have more then one mammoth ivory I decided to have this engraved.

fNUiuh.jpg

When you find such wonderful examples I can understand exceptions being made to any collection, whatever the original strategy. Gorgeous!

My newest Mnandi. I was very, very pleased when I opened the package last week. I'd seen it in photos but handling it in person is another story. Big thanks to the photographer and former owner bhyde.

oVxmBKE.jpg

rCAcOvO.jpg

lCwUoG1.jpg

Last edited:
all these are safe queens? I have a nice example of box elder burl that has never left my pocket. refined the factory edge with a sharpmaker and some ultrafine stones, not it cuts paper into spaghetti strips like butter. I love the Titos and lime picture, at least that beauty is getting to cut something.

Lone wolf, stop gobbling up all the nice examples. anyone have any nice bark? would love to own one of those, but it will get used... I refuse to own knives that don't get to cut, in fact, I don't understand it? Maybe someone can help me understand why you would not want to use them... they are perfect knives... with great steel and edge retention, but if you don't use them, why does any of that matter?

Is anyone else into the actual steel? the S35VN is such a nice steel. Just bought a spyderco Bradley 2 with some M4 steel... headed to me in the mail... even a harder steel but not carbon steel... interested to see its performance.

OK, off of my pulpit.

all these are safe queens? /QUOTE]
The one with the bird of prey in my previous post is one of my user.

If you have many knives it is impossible that you use everyone.

I have 5/6 CRK in my EDC rotation

Anyone know why they ever changed the nail nick? Was always curious and even now after they know that people specifically look for older ones with that nail nick they still make the new version nicks.

Any info at all?

all these are safe queens? I have a nice example of box elder burl that has never left my pocket. refined the factory edge with a sharpmaker and some ultrafine stones, not it cuts paper into spaghetti strips like butter. I love the Titos and lime picture, at least that beauty is getting to cut something.

Lone wolf, stop gobbling up all the nice examples. anyone have any nice bark? would love to own one of those, but it will get used... I refuse to own knives that don't get to cut, in fact, I don't understand it? Maybe someone can help me understand why you would not want to use them... they are perfect knives... with great steel and edge retention, but if you don't use them, why does any of that matter?

Is anyone else into the actual steel? the S35VN is such a nice steel. Just bought a spyderco Bradley 2 with some M4 steel... headed to me in the mail... even a harder steel but not carbon steel... interested to see its performance.

OK, off of my pulpit.

I only have four CRKs, but they are all carried during the week. (Damascus mammoth, plain box elder, plain insingo, and ti-lock)

Also, while it's okay to be envious of the collectors don't knock them. They often sell great knives when they're looking to purchase new ones.

No one is knocking any of these knives, they are awesome... or the collection, I am just trying to understand, my brain cannot wrap around having a knife and not using it, that's all.

If I had a nice mammoth bark with some greens or blues, it would never leave my pocket. I have my box elder in my pocket right now and will most likely use it 20 times today, I love it, but would love to have a mammoth bark cutting my apples even more...

Still trying to figure out how to put an edge on the S35VN blade, right now using the sharpmaker, not really wanting to reprofile. It gets sharp, but nothing like my cheap Kershaw hunting knife with AUS6 steel... that thing gets ridiculous. If anyone has any suggestions... should I reprofile the edge? I could take it all the way down to a flat 17 degrees and then put a 20 degree micro bevel on it?

Thanks

No one is knocking any of these knives, they are awesome... or the collection, I am just trying to understand, my brain cannot wrap around having a knife and not using it, that's all.

If I had a nice mammoth bark with some greens or blues, it would never leave my pocket. I have my box elder in my pocket right now and will most likely use it 20 times today, I love it, but would love to have a mammoth bark cutting my apples even more...

Still trying to figure out how to put an edge on the S35VN blade, right now using the sharpmaker, not really wanting to reprofile. It gets sharp, but nothing like my cheap Kershaw hunting knife with AUS6 steel... that thing gets ridiculous. If anyone has any suggestions... should I reprofile the edge? I could take it all the way down to a flat 17 degrees and then put a 20 degree micro bevel on it?

Thanks

The CRK collectors here just like collecting CRKS. Nothing to wrap your brain around. We love the brand and designs. Its just like any other hobby. Almost all the collectors here also have certain knives they USE/carry etc.
I know people that collect stamps but I just can't figure out why they don't use them to mail letters or packages!?

I know people that collect stamps but I just can't figure out why they don't use them to mail letters or packages!?

Jason,
That's a hoot! My 90-yr-old father-in-law collects coins and in the 46 years I've know him, he has never put a stinkin' one of them into a vending machine!! They just sit in the safes (yes, multiple!). But ... it makes him happy. That's what is important .... no?

I have only retained 2 Mnandis. One is for admiring, one is for carrying.

Back