Mnandi: My latest Obsession

Waiting on my box elder burl in s45 from crk. Of course this thread would have to pop up to make my wait seem longer

Damn obsessions, I picked up 3 this year.

My edc is a first generation I think it's ebony, I bought it here many years ago. Preferring the look of the old nail nick but hesitant about the ease of one handed opening I looked into damascus. Going for something different I picked up a box elder raindrop. Not being a fan of the light wood I picked up a carbon fiber basket weave. This weekend I figured I'd round out the collection and ordered a carbon fiber laddered.

However that macassar and boomerang a few post up is making me consider a 3rd generation.

Waiting on my box elder burl in s45 from crk. Of course this thread would have to pop up to make my wait seem longer

I'm waiting on one of those, as well. In the meantime, I couldn't resist this Boomerang Damascus version...

hCyi3ys.jpg

I'm waiting on one of those, as well. In the meantime, I couldn't resist this Boomerang Damascus version...

hCyi3ys.jpg
Just got an email back from crk saying don’t hold your breath when I asked for an update on my order. And I can’t find any new gen mnandi anywhere. This addiction sucks

My first Mnandi is in the mail to me. I think it's 2nd gen with S35 and solid nail nick. I want it as an EDC user. Ordered a clip replacement screw too. I thought hard about ordering a new knife from CRK, but I just don't like the looks of the see-thru nick.

I got an early 2020 box elder as my first as my vendor had one in stock. Im not a fan of the through hole nail knick either.. It just arrived the other day. Overall I think is a great knife but im not sure if ill acquire another as I have BIG love for the big folders.

rQmXZOL.jpg

Just got an email back from crk saying don’t hold your breath when I asked for an update on my order. And I can’t find any new gen mnandi anywhere. This addiction sucks

Interesting about the "don't hold your breath" comment. I'm on the list, too -- but, I'm weak, and I couldn't help but jump on a new gen when I came across one. Still, at the moment, that's a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.

The new thru-hole nail nick does give the Mnandi a bit of a sinister look.

It reminds me of the Spyderco Byrd line, which I don’t care for. I pinch open my Mnandi like I do for my favorite traditional pocketknives. I don’t need one hand opening. If I’m in a hurry, I’d use the small fixed blade I always carry too.

I just received a 3rd generation Damascus. I ordered it thinking it was a 2nd generation Damascus. I am going to decided how I like it compared to my Gen 2s and 1.

I just received a 3rd generation Damascus. I ordered it thinking it was a 2nd generation Damascus. I am going to decided how I like it compared to my Gen 2s and 1.

Looking forward to reading what you think about it. And seeing pics. :)

Here is a picture of my Mnandis.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1MbKiUo

It is a beautiful knife and it opens easy however I don't like the way the nail nick looks on it. The ss blade is a generation 1 that is my edc. The other damascus blades are generation 2. I am able to open them with same ease as the 1. Granted based on edcing a Mnandi I have muscle memory on my side. I also heard damascus blades have more grip. That said I never handled a plain balded generation 2 or 3. I contacted the seller and am returning it. I even confirmed with them the knife was the old nail nick right after I ordered, mistakes happen and they made it right.

Overall if I was going to order a plain version and wanted to open it one handed I would go with the new model.

Last edited:
Back