Modded Bestman?

Hey guys. I got a Bestman, and the untrued back spring and liners kinda bug me. I've been thinking of adding some mokume to mine too, but don't have a plan yet. Has anyone modded theirs (changed bolsters, made custom scales, sanded the back flat, etc)?

I have been thinking of doing this to a civivi rustic gent, which has the same curved liners and backspring issue - but with a slippie like a best man you also need to consider that reducing the backspring material will reduce the spring tension.

The only mod I’d like to do on the shuffler, not a BestMan, would be to add an easy open notch to make the blade more pinchable. The kind of stiff backspring on my Shuffler & BestMan models give me a hard time some days when my hands are bothering me.

That’s one reason I’ve been favoring the CK run with the Otnat blade. More easy to pinch.

I’ve noticed the rounded backspring seems to be rather polarizing. Either you like it, or hate it. I myself don’t have an issue with it.

I’d be interested to see what mods you’re able to do. With its construction, seems like it’d lend itself to modding.

I guess another feature I wish they’d do is add a shield to the scale. I think it classes slippies up a bit.

The only mod I’d like to do on the shuffler, not a BestMan, would be to add an easy open notch to make the blade more pinchable. The kind of stiff backspring on my Shuffler & BestMan models give me a hard time some days when my hands are bothering me.

That’s one reason I’ve been favoring the CK run with the Otnat blade. More easy to pinch.

I’ve noticed the rounded backspring seems to be rather polarizing. Either you like it, or hate it. I myself don’t have an issue with it.

I’d be interested to see what mods you’re able to do. With its construction, seems like it’d lend itself to modding.

I guess another feature I wish they’d do is add a shield to the scale. I think it classes slippies up a bit.

USA KnifeMaker sells shields, but I'm thinking of making a scale out of bone or antler and inlaying a mokume shield.

I think that’d look pretty good! Be sure to post photos of how it turns out.

Back