Model 12-9" #14 Grind

It’s a beautiful knife for sure. One I’ve been thinking of ordering for my retirement gift to myself.

I’ve got a few years to wait before I’m six years away from retirement. Lol.

It’s a beautiful knife for sure. One I’ve been thinking of ordering for my retirement gift to myself.

I’ve got a few years to wait before I’m six years away from retirement. Lol.

It's a real monster, makes my #1 look small. :) o_O

But in a good way. :thumbsup::cool:

I can really see that it would be a total beast in the field with that thin grind it has. :D

My number 1-7 is about as big a knife as I would like to take to the field. I have carried it on hikes but not as often as my 5-4. I think that a knife larger than a 1-7 would tend to carry like a boat anchor, particularly on a long hike.

Dang good looking knife Jim, it looks like you've been on a buying spree lately. Congrats,

My number 1-7 is about as big a knife as I would like to take to the field. I have carried it on hikes but not as often as my 5-4. I think that a knife larger than a 1-7 would tend to carry like a boat anchor, particularly on a long hike.

The 1-7 is very light really for a 7" bladed field knife at 11oz.

I have carried bigger knives than that on VERY long hikes before and you really don't notice it with all the other gear.

Even the 12-9 I have isn't not too bad at a shade over 18 oz.

1 LB 2oz isn't really heavy for a large fixed blade.

I do believe that a 7" bladed knife is ideal size however for a field blade.

I believe your right Jim on the weight thing. Like I mentioned before I used to have a model 14 and 18 and they were very nice weight wise. I noticed the big difference when I had a Ratwieler and the 14 side by side. The 14 was light and agile while the Ratwieler felt a lot different heavier and not so agile compared between the two. The Ratwieler is still a great knife but not in the same league, purpose. I had never weighed them so not sure on the weights of them.

I believe your right Jim on the weight thing. Like I mentioned before I used to have a model 14 and 18 and they were very nice weight wise. I noticed the big difference when I had a Ratwieler and the 14 side by side. The 14 was light and agile while the Ratwieler felt a lot different heavier and not so agile compared between the two. The Ratwieler is still a great knife but not in the same league, purpose. I had never weighed them so not sure on the weights of them.

They don't have to feel like boat anchors to be useful. :)

The Alpha Regulator 9.5 is heavier than the 12-9"....

Last edited:
If we were playing poker Melvin just won with a Royal straight flush! Nice set!

Ankerson Ankerson I just noticed how bent your section of stag is then it transitions back to straight at the leather spacers and pommel. Very unique, and to my eyes very pleasing. How does it feel in hand? It’s a special knife.

Ankerson Ankerson I just noticed how bent your section of stag is then it transitions back to straight at the leather spacers and pommel. Very unique, and to my eyes very pleasing. How does it feel in hand? It’s a special knife.

Feels great in hand. :thumbsup::cool:

The number 25 handle is not available on a model 1.

only available on models 25, 26, 27, 12-9, &12-9 14 grind.

I think that’s a 27 on top. A 25-6. A 12-9(14 grind), A 25-5. A 26 on the bottom.

The number 25 handle is not available on a model 1.

only available on models 25, 26, 27, 12-9, &12-9 14 grind.

I think that’s a 27 on top. A 25-6. A 12-9(14 grind), A 25-5. A 26 on the bottom.

In the Model 25 page... https://www.randallknives.com/knives/model-25-trapper/

Note–the #25 handle configuration of leather/stag/leather is limited to the following models: #25, #26, #27, #12-9″, #12-9″#14grind.

Shame too because the #1 would look great...

All stainless steel, nickel-silver hilts, rounded NS end caps and lanyards. There was another, a standard #12-9 (carbon blade only) that was the best of the bunch based on the awesome stag center. Can't find the group photo though.

I did matched sets for a while...

Back