Model 14

d762nato

Gold Member
Ok, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 14 and was curious as to which handle would be the best all around user and the most comfortable in hand. I had a 14 years back with the finger groove handle and it worked ok until you turned the knife upside down in the hand. The ridges on the finger grooves just didn't feel right.
I also see guys around here saying the stainless is better than a carbon blade, but I see a lot of old carbon bladed 14's users out there still looking good on the used Randall market that I've been interested in lately.

If you choose the standard, full tang Model #14 and you want a handle other than #14 style finger grips you're relegated to either a Border Patrol (BP) or Single finger grip (SFG) handle. These choices will most probably give you the same problem when inverted. I would suggest a Model #14 Cut Down Tang (CDT). This will give you a choice of most options and handle shapes. Lastly, I recommend a stainless blade. It's harder to sharpen but the edge last longer and stainless steel increases the value and the market should you choose to sell it.

Nice pics cut it out that bp handle does look comfy. I was looking at one but it had the single finger. I'd really like to get a 14 in stainless with a nickel silver double forward guard with the bp or single finger handle, but I've yet to find something along these lines not sold already when I do run across one online. Sooo..I just keep my eyes open. :eek:

Rick, Thanks for the info much appreciated. I kind of prefer full tang knives myself but that's nice that there are more options out there and I'm sure you would know about Randalls if anyone.

Border Patrol is your best bet. I'd also go with stainless on a user. :thumbup:

Border Patrol is your best bet. I'd also go with stainless on a user. :thumbup:
Actually one of the 14's I'm looking at does have the Bp handle but its carbon steel bladed. I'd like to have the stainless but I haven't run across too many with the double forward sweeping nickel silver guard with a stainless blade and Bp handle. Yeah that would be a nice one imho. Thanks,

+1 on BP handle. It's favorite RMK handle. My 14 comes with the BP handle.

If you go CDT, you can select Crow Beak butt cap which will give you a very comfortable handle too.

BTW, RMK SS is not that hard to sharpen compared to the super steels out there.

Don

Last edited:
+1 on BP handle. It's favorite RMK handle. My 14 comes with the BP handle.

If you go CDT, you can select Crow Beak butt cap which will give you a very comfortable handle too.

BTW, RMK SS is not that hard to sharpen compared to the super steels out there.

Don
I know what you mean about the crows beak it is sexy. I like the way your 12 is set up that's a beauty imo. Thanks,

Doug

I know what you mean about the crows beak it is sexy. I like the way your 12 is set up that's a beauty imo. Thanks,

Doug

Thanks. Here is a better view of my 12-9" crows beak handle to help you decide.

32072995826_cee3fa2694_b.jpg

Don

Thanks Don that sure is a beauty and I wouldn't change a thing on it. A 12-9 and a 14 made up as a set like yours would be awesome. I just need more $$. :D

Border patrol is my favorite. I have never had a problem with O-1. If gonna swim in ocean I would get SS but no salt water where I live sohttp://
Did you request that yours only have a guard on the bottom or is that how it comes when you get the border patrol handle? I'm getting ready to order a 14 and want the bp handle but I want the double guard as well.

A Nickel-Silver Model #18 style hilt would be awesome...

Back