Photos Model #16 Special Fighter

That model has a lot going for it for sure. If you option out a model 1 in similar fashion it would cost a lot more.

nice knife. I have it’s twin.

That model has a lot going for it for sure. If you option out a model 1 in similar fashion it would cost a lot more.

nice knife. I have it’s twin.

The blade is a different and not hollow ground like the model 1.

I have both.

Wonder how the handle is attached on the #16 SP1.

750_2598 by Jim Ankerson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’m sure the liner in the thong hole acts as a rivet too.

I just checked none of my Model 1’s are hollow ground. They have the same blade as the Sp1.

Since you have both. Does the model 1 seem more “Lively” to you? It’s almost imperceptible but it’s there. I think it’s from the extra weight from the larger tang and the Micarta the Sp1 seems heavier and slower somehow?

I just checked none of my Model 1’s are hollow ground. They have the same blade as the Sp1.

Since you have both. Does the model 1 seem more “Lively” to you? From the extra weight from the larger tang and the Micarta the Sp1 seems heavier and slower somehow?

The Model 1 is slightly more blade heavy than the SP1.

The Model SP1 seems more balanced likely due to the full thick tang.

The SP1 seems more lively due to the balance.

I believe the grind is referred to a flat sabre grind:thumbsup:
Edited to add: Please keep in mind that the topic as to what type of grind(hollow vs flat)has been raised on more than one occasion, and there seems to be some debate as to which it actually is.

Last edited:

Since you have both. Does the model 1 seem more “Lively” to you? It’s almost imperceptible but it’s there. I think it’s from the extra weight from the larger tang and the Micarta the Sp1 seems heavier and slower somehow?

Just weighed the SP1 and Model 1.

11.1oz Model 1
12.9oz SP1

Options will likely determine weight. For example, if you had a NS pommel (end cap) on your Model #1-7, the overall weight of the knife would probably be greater than that of the SP1...

Melvin-Purvis Melvin-Purvis any thoughts on the hollow vs flat ground blades on the Model 1’s? It’s something I hadn’t heard about until this thread. Some searching pulled up an old thread from the early 2000’s. That said all newer models 1’s were hollow. If that was true they apparently switched back?

Last edited:
You post nice pictures but you are a man of few words.

nice comparison shot. Are those two as a like as they seem? Which one do you like more?

You post nice pictures but you are a man of few words.

nice comparison shot. Are those two as a like as they seem? Which one do you like more?

No they are not that much alike. :D

The 14's handle is thicker/wider, the blade is taller and stays thicker farther down before it starts to taper, just a heavier duty blade than the SP1.

BOTH are heavier duty knives, but the 14 is much more so. That Model 14 blade profile screams heavy duty. Also have the 12-9" #14 blade, love the blade shape.

Notice how both blades have the points right on the center line or very close to it. THAT is extremely important in a heavier duty blade made for field use. Not only does it make the knife easier to point using it as a fighter. It's also much more useful for general field work.

Last edited:
Back