Model 3

Team:

I don't know much about old Randall's so I have I question. Was the Model 7 "Fisherman-Hunter" ever made in a 4 inch version? If so how long ago? I see 4.5 and 5 inches in the current catalog but I like a shorter knife. If available and common I may try and find one.

I just picked up a model 8 and have a 27 mini in the mail. One of these will turn into a user for backpacking. I'm still in search of that perfect knife.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
To me 4.5 and up is perfect for a fixed blade, unless you want a skinner than a shorter blade works. Randall seems like they agree and make their smaller blade models a little bigger over the years. Folding knives cover a shorter/just need to cut something quickly role....Just get it, is all i'm trying to say

I'm a backpacker and literally count ounces so the lighter the knife the better. I'm not a fan of folders and love Randalls so I'll carry an extra ounce or two in a knife. I have a 5-5 for canoe camping and find it way to big for hiking. I'd like to get a 7 if I can get one in 4 inches. Just don't need 4.5. I'd even consider vintage.

Thanks for the reply.

Greg, going back through the catalogs, I found no listing for a 4" model #7, going back to its introduction in 1945. Model's # 5, 8, 11, and 26, yes, but not a #7. Hope that helps...

Greg, why not consider Gary Randall's special knife, the GTR? It is quite small and light, and should answer most of your needs. (CLICK HERE)
If the 4-inch blade is mandatory, then look at the Model #26 - Pathfinder (though the weight is a couple ounces more than the GTR)>
...and a couple of 3.8-ounce knives: 27 mini-Trailblazer and 27M Copper miniature.

Last edited:
I'm a backpacker and literally count ounces so the lighter the knife the better. I'm not a fan of folders and love Randalls so I'll carry an extra ounce or two in a knife. I have a 5-5 for canoe camping and find it way to big for hiking. I'd like to get a 7 if I can get one in 4 inches. Just don't need 4.5. I'd even consider vintage.

Thanks for the reply.
I get it, part of the backpacking hobby is counting weight...in reality, on a weekend trip, a Victorinox cadet won't weigh you down that much.....

Melvin-Purvis: Thanks you for checking the catalogs. Greatly appreciated.

Cut & Run: Thanks for the suggestions. The mini is the winner so far.

Extrastout: You are correct, counting weight is part of it. I'm in my 50s and a few ounces adds to a few extra pounds and a whole lot less fun. I try to do 150 miles on the Appalachian Trail at a time. I usually carry a little 2 ounce knife, but there is something special about a Randall and I haven't found the perfect one yet. On my desk is a copper mini, 8-4, and 5-4. An 11-3 is in the desk - three of these will be sold in the next few weeks. Part of the fun is finding the perfect knife. Either the mini or 5-4 will make it into my pack. I was thinking the 7-4 would be like the mini just a bit bigger. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I just wish I could get a 7-4 instead of a 7-4.5. The pathfinder never appealed to me and I was told the GTR is tough to resell as it isn't as popular. Although the Randall shop did recommend the GTR.

Melvin-Purvis: Thanks you for checking the catalogs. Greatly appreciated.

Cut & Run: Thanks for the suggestions. The mini is the winner so far.

Extrastout: You are correct, counting weight is part of it. I'm in my 50s and a few ounces adds to a few extra pounds and a whole lot less fun. I try to do 150 miles on the Appalachian Trail at a time. I usually carry a little 2 ounce knife, but there is something special about a Randall and I haven't found the perfect one yet. On my desk is a copper mini, 8-4, and 5-4. An 11-3 is in the desk - three of these will be sold in the next few weeks. Part of the fun is finding the perfect knife. Either the mini or 5-4 will make it into my pack. I was thinking the 7-4 would be like the mini just a bit bigger. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I just wish I could get a 7-4 instead of a 7-4.5. The pathfinder never appealed to me and I was told the GTR is tough to resell as it isn't as popular. Although the Randall shop did recommend the GTR.

I just ordered the Denmark Special from the non catalog knives, but its 4.5"......I tried lol....My friend is a through hiker of the Appalachian trail and this is where I learned of the weight thing. Its a huge deal, I appreciate and give you credit for actually getting out there Gregmsimpson...You sir deserve the best!

The Denmark is a great choice; super light with that #6 blade grind, and a real cutter. Good call. :thumbsup:

An 11-3 is in the desk.

I'm 56, a Randall nut, and have backpacked for 30 years, so I clearly understand your quest to eliminate weight, but your desire to carry a Randall. IMO, you might already have the perfect knife.

You mentioned that you have an 11-3. That knife doesn't exist. You either have an 11-4 or a 10-3. If it's a 10-3, I think that is the perfect Randall backpacking knife. Lightweight, full tang, stainless, Micarta scales and plenty of blade length for food prep and other camp chores.

getimage.php

Tom, wasn't the original Nordic Knives Special a (what became a) Model #11-3? I've had two, and the OAL blade length was something like 3.25" and 3.375", roughly speaking... o_O

The 10-3 would make a nice little hiking knife for sure. Also the Triathlete is a good option. The leather stacked handles are very light weight in any model. My 3-5 is a really nice knife but the 23 Gamemaster with leather handles would be a awesome choice too

Back