Recommendation? Modern EDC folder w/ removable scales (~$1-125)

Been a long while since I've been on these forums..

Main EDC has been a Kershaw Leek for a couple years now. Been very happy with it, Kershaw's customer service and have even bought a few as gifts for friends and family members. Honestly think it's one of the best options for people who just need a cheaper, lightweight knife they can always have on them and use for small EDC tasks. Lately though, I've been wanting something a bit more higher-end and public-friendly.

For me, this means steel along the lines of 154CM, s30v, etc., a good single-hand opening/solid lockup mechanism, and scales that could feasibly be taken off in favor of handmade wood ones. Something with modern day functionality but the option for more traditional aesthetics. Ideas? Have a bit of experience making my own handles for fixed blades but hopefully a small folder isn't too much harder:
P1050055.jpg

P1070419.jpg

TL;DR reasoning:

I currently work at a higher-end grocery store in a pretty liberally-minded city and find myself in a position where I actually use my personal pocket knife to assist customers a fair bit (cutting stems down on their flowers, removing price tags, opening packaging for them, halving $10 rolls of quarters, etc.). I've long ago stopped with the silly PC act of tracking down scissors or going all the way over to the floral department to shorten single-stem roses when I always have a pocket knife on me. Inadvertently, I get into a number of discussions about knives as practical, everyday tools and have definitely swayed a number of people into doing the same. At the same time though, I generally carry a somewhat tactical looking, modern, assisted opening knife and don't want to be scaring off people I'm trying to convert haha. For a short while, I was actually carrying my nice handmade Citadel knife that my father picked me up the last time he was in Cambodia. Definitely less intimidating and traditional, but the lack of a thumbstud/hole and high polish finish makes it near impossible to open one-handed (which gets annoying after awhile). Also it has sentimental value and I'd hate to lose/damage it:
20170605_011557_zpsgmdcwja7.jpg

From what I recall, the manix 2 has flat G10 slabs over steel liners. No milling on the inside of the slabs aside from drilling out a hole in the area for the ball bearing lock and then opening that up with a smile and sand paper.
Seems like a good option to me.

Benchmades often have milled spots for the location of the Omega springs.

Most lockback designs will have the tensioning spring anchored in the backspacer, so most of them should be viable options as well.

Depending on the material you use, a framelock might not be out of your reach as well (think thin G10 liner). Especially since you are only replacing the one side.

I will add more as I think of them.

Last edited:
I might suggest a Spyderco Gayle Bradley or Gayle Bradley 2. The M4 steel is awesome, but not corrosion resistant so it will develop a patina or rust if neglected.

I would suggest something with a liner (again, GB or GB2), and not something that simply has a slab of micarta or G10 without liners (think Paramilitary 2). Reason is that the liner will help hold the tolerances ando keep the blade centered. It would be exceptionally difficult to machine a liner less piece of wood and keep the flat and to the right tolerance without a liner.

Off topic... I also make custom handles, and have a question about how you did some thing in your second photo on the fixed blade. Would you email me at inrangedesign@gmail.com I'd like to ask a couple questions. Also, I am starting handles for my Gayle Bradley 2 in the near future, we could trade ideas.

I have seen some beautifull wood scales for the spyderdo delica (and the manix 2) that would probablt fit your bill. Vg10 is good stuff its a manual opening with the hole and its a lockback so with wooden scales i think it would look like a traditional but with the benefits of a modern folder
3718709220_3d586e3de8_b.jpg

What about the Benchmade North Fork?

benchmade-15031-2-hunt-north-fork-stabilized-wood__51778.1494593806.730.500.jpg

Or one of the more traditional offerings from lionsteel? Spyderco anything with custom scales is nice too.

I would suggest something with a liner (again, GB or GB2), and not something that simply has a slab of micarta or G10 without liners (think Paramilitary 2).
Just for the sake of accuracy, I'm going to point out that the PM2 has liners.

^^^ So it does. I believe they are an integral liner (maybe not the right term) but the back side of the scale is machined to accommodate them, correct. The GB and GB2 by comparison has a flat liner/scale interface. No cut out machining except a recess for the lockbar to press into when opening/disengaging.

That is how the FRN Light Weight Manix' are. They have a pocket for a "partial liner" that surrounds the pivot and goes up near the lock, iirc.

The g10 manix' are flat G10 laid over a steel liner. Some are solid, some are milled and a little lighter, but the slabs remain interchangeable.

This thread, and the GB2 thread over in the Spyderco sub forum got me thinking it was time to try a folder project. All of this machining was done on a bench top drill press with standard size drill bits. Slow and careful, and so far everything is working...

20170609_054045.jpg

That is how the FRN Light Weight Manix' are. They have a pocket for a "partial liner" that surrounds the pivot and goes up near the lock, iirc.

The g10 manix' are flat G10 laid over a steel liner. Some are solid, some are milled and a little lighter, but the slabs remain interchangeable.

Awesome to hear - I just pulled the trigger on an open box s30v Manix 2 for $80.
Had been eyeing it for awhile, but decided to put it off... then the price jumped from $91 to $101 and I was beating myself up. A used one for $80 popped up today and I figured some minor cosmetic wear isn't too big a deal if the scales are coming off and there's a chance I might blemish it slightly trying to make some scales for it. Was kind of aware of my need for something with steel liners to avoid having to add cut-outs into the scales which could diminish rigidity/stability of the knife. Wasn't aware of the partial liners though..

Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited:
Back