Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not interested in a KaBar style military knife or really a military combat knife per se. I have daggers but, I want something that will slash, back cut and, one that will still thrust well. I'm initially thinking about something in the 6"~9" range but, I also don't want to end up with a short sword. ;)

Who and what are the better production or semi-custom options to consider in production these days? I'd like to see options with good construction and expect to spend at least $200, though above $400 becomes problematic right now. Stainless or semi-stainless options are preferred but, the right knife in old-school carbon steel would be acceptable too. I live in Texas so double-edged and larger knives are generally allowed for personal carry though "dangerous" knives have some restrictions like schools and similar places. I'm on a rural property so, my main issue is with animals (aggressive dogs mainly), not people, where I don't have my rifle with me. Plus, a good fighting knife is something I have always wanted to try.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
I like the Cold Steel Tai Pan.
Get ready to be lectured about a knife not being good for dogs.
This is my personal blade. Lon Humphrey Gunfighter Bowie. 8 5/8” blade. 1095 steel, but his latest ones are 52100.
Cn2ezyn.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, the dog thing has been extensively covered in a heated thread recently. You're in Texas, why not just have a sidearm? Seems like you'd have a better chance against an aggressive dog....
Most any sort of bowie type with a sharpened clip seems as if it would work for you. The Randall 1-7 is a bit beyond the $400 limit, maybe if you can find a Blackjack 1-7 or 14 HALO? Cold Steel I'm sure has something that will fit the bill.

I like the Cold Steel Tai Pan.
Get ready for being lectured about a knife not being good for dogs.

Yes, less than ideal but, better than a pair of fencing pliers!

A dagger is terrible for snakes too but, thankfully that is a rare occurrence when I don't have an axe with me and need to dispatch a snake that won't leave me alone.

This is my personal blade. Lon Humphrey Gunfighter Bowie. 8 5/8” blade. 1095 steel, but his latest ones are 52100.
Cn2ezyn.jpg

That looks mighty fine! :)

I have seen a couple of Joe Loui Spitfire knives come up on the exchange for around $300, you might take a look at those

I'm not interested in a KaBar style military knife or really a military combat knife per se. I have daggers but, I want something that will slash, back cut and, one that will still thrust well. I'm initially thinking about something in the 6"~9" range but, I also don't want to end up with a short sword. ;)

Who and what are the better production or semi-custom options to consider in production these days? I'd like to see options with good construction and expect to spend at least $200, though above $400 becomes problematic right now. Stainless or semi-stainless options are preferred but, the right knife in old-school carbon steel would be acceptable too. I live in Texas so double-edged and larger knives are generally allowed for personal carry though "dangerous" knives have some restrictions like schools and similar places. I'm on a rural property so, my main issue is with animals (aggressive dogs mainly), not people, where I don't have my rifle with me. Plus, a good fighting knife is something I have always wanted to try.

TIA,
Sid
If dogs are your concern and a blade is your weapon, you should really consider a short sword. I'd start with . . .

SMATCHET!

. . . and go up from there, maxing out at about 20" of blade.

My experience as a dog owner who has wrestled with a lot of large dogs has taught me that if I'm close enough to use a knife blade, I'm getting bitten many, many times, and probably in the face.

Hmm, now I'm thinking a short assegai or short hewing spear would be called for. Or a cutlass. Dawson swords are quite nice and vary greatly in length.

But start with a good custom SMATCHET.

Ooh, Baryonyx Kingfisher!

Zieg

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd have my shotgun with #4 Buckshot but, there is a limit to how much hardware I'm willing to carry while working. I'm at war with feral hogs so, a 6.8SPC AR-15/MSR is generally what I would have in the pickup or around the tractor. Unfortunately, sometimes "situational awareness" isn't as good as it could be and the rifle might as well be locked up in the gun safe at the house. Walking around open-carry with a pistol has a different connotation so, I generally don't do that when I may be on public easement fixing fence or getting my mail.

Plus, it is a whole lot easier to wear a fixed blade like I do a watch. In the morning, when I mindlessly put on my boots, grab my billfold, etc. the knife is riding on the strong side hip without any real conscious effort, again like grabbing the watch mindlessly in the morning. Heck, I'm more likely to forget my cellphone than I am my fixed blade.

^^^^I almost pulled the trigger on a few Joe Loui knives on the exchange. They look like great knives at a good price and quality steel.

The CPK UF Utility Fighter. Probably in the $350-$400 range. Delta 3V Steel. Id want this in a tussle. View attachment 1478849

The few I have seen sell were way out of my price range or I would have jumped on one. Back when they were in production, weren't they in the ~$450 and up range? Now they seem to be collector's items with a price to match but, maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

If dogs are your concern and a blade is your weapon, you should really consider a short sword. I'd start with . . .

SMATCHET!

. . . and go up from there, maxing out at about 20" of blade.

My experience as a dog owner who has wrestled with a lot of large dogs has taught me that if I'm close enough to use a knife blade, I'm getting bitten many, many times, and probably in the face.

Hmm, now I'm thinking a short assegai or short hewing spear would be called for. Or a cutlass. Dawson swords are quite nice and vary greatly in length.

But start with a good custom SMATCHET.

Zieg

Yes, in an encounter like that I expect to be bitten and need post-engagement medical care. My German Shepherds were not a dog you would want to mess with. At 11 months, my last puppy weighed 86lbs. Unfortunately, he was killed by someone staking out my house for theft. After the house across the road was burned to the ground and that person went to jail, that problem seemed to go away.

So far, all the dogs I have shot have been in the 30#~40# range, or smaller. There is only 1 of the 3 labs left which a different neighbor apparently got but, the one left is really aggressive (raised that way by its owner).

A spear or sword is really impractical. If I were to have something that heavy, bulky, and, long, it would be a rifle or a shotgun. I do have a "live" sword but, I'm not taking it with me to feed cattle or mend fencing.

You could save a bunch of money and get a Buck 119. I know, it's not a dedicated fighting knife, just don't tell the dog that and you'll be fine.

A good thought but, the tip is not reinforced and it is a bit too high in relationship to the center of the handle. I want the tip to be inline with my hand and strong enough to not bend or snap. The standard 420HC steel in common Bucks is a bit soft and weak which combined with the tip construction is a likely point of failure if things get nasty.

I have a CRK Pacific on my plate carrier hell of knife. FOBOS is about to release the Tier 1 at the beginning of the year look in to that if you don’t like the Pacific. Both are 6.5” blades. I’d be all over it but I have no need for it man it’s sweet

A good thought but, the tip is not reinforced and it is a bit too high in relationship to the center of the handle. I want the tip to be inline with my hand and strong enough to not bend or snap. The standard 420HC steel in common Bucks is a bit soft and weak which combined with the tip construction is a likely point of failure if things get nasty.

actually 420hc is excellent for toughness, it should be in the range of aeb-l... which is the toughest stainless out there

and for non-stainless, good old 5160 is an excellent choice

these steels of course give up really great edge retention as a result, but they are not bad really
also interesting side note, copper and clad sells many of the large buck knives in 5160 steel - which is easily the most tough option in production knives
(sadly the 124 is out of stock right now - but it's a common one and doesn't have tip issues at all ; )

these are from @Larrin : )
stainless-steel-toughness-5-15-19.jpg

low-alloy-toughness-linear-5-7-19.jpg

Warcraft Tanto in 3V, I have one and I freaking love it.

Strong reinforced tip, secondary point for snap cuts if needed, and plenty of slashing power too (slight curve allows it to slash deep...

And CPM-3V steel is as tough as it gets, it's one of toughest steels available.

I second the CPK Uf if you can find out. I have seen a few on the exchange/CPK forum that went within your price range, in a standard, non-jazzed up configuration.

If not, how about a benchmade arvensis? Havent owned one personally, but was planning to pick up one before I landed a UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back