Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most any sort of bowie type with a sharpened clip seems as if it would work for you. The Randall 1-7 is a bit beyond the $400 limit, maybe if you can find a Blackjack 1-7 or 14 HALO? Cold Steel I'm sure has something that will fit the bill.

Not to be picky, but the OP mentioned "back cut" capability. While the Randall 1-7 comes with a sharpened swedge, the Blackjack 1-7 does not. I have owned both.

An 8 inch Randall model 1 was my first thought when I read the OP.

If attacks from aggressive dogs are a recurring issue I don't see why you wouldn't carry something like a shotgun around. Maybe not a full spear but something closer to the size of a javelin seems practical, certainly better than a dedicated knife. But if you just want a fighter knife because they're pretty damn cool I would look at our Exchange's custom makers section, fighter knives go up there for sale all the time at reasonable prices.

TOPS Knives MAK-7.

85aRc4B.jpg

Also available with a green handle. TOPS is trying to shift away from their Hardcore Oper8tor image of the past, but they still make some tools for Serious Business situations.

Not to be picky, but the OP mentioned "back cut" capability. While the Randall 1-7 comes with a sharpened swedge, the Blackjack 1-7 does not. I have owned both.

True, but the swedge Could be sharpened....
Aside from being a bark river, I Do carry this knife (model 1-7) hidden at 5 o-clock. Hidden, IWB
Believe it or not, it's very well made, and very Stabby. I just wish it was made by somebody else.

A good thought but, the tip is not reinforced and it is a bit too high in relationship to the center of the handle. I want the tip to be inline with my hand and strong enough to not bend or snap. The standard 420HC steel in common Bucks is a bit soft and weak which combined with the tip construction is a likely point of failure if things get nasty.

You must have some really tough dogs in your 'hood ;). I actually stood down an aggressive dog once with a knife. It was a slip joint folder that I happened to be using at the moment that the dog confronted me. The dog didn't want to come any closer after I turned to face him. I am of the opinion that dogs are well aware of the difference of an armed or unarmed person. If I had been holding a volt meter, I think the dog would have behaved the same as when he saw the knife. Any dog who would charge into six inches of shiny steel in your hand would be a real problem. At that point, I would want a 12 gauge.

I would get something akin to a trench knife if I thought I would fight a dog. Maybe two trench knives.

You must have some really tough dogs in your 'hood ;). I actually stood down an aggressive dog once with a knife. It was a slip joint folder that I happened to be using at the moment that the dog confronted me. The dog didn't want to come any closer after I turned to face him. I am of the opinion that dogs are well aware of the difference of an armed or unarmed person. If I had been holding a volt meter, I think the dog would have behaved the same as when he saw the knife. Any dog who would charge into six inches of shiny steel in your hand would be a real problem. At that point, I would want a 12 gauge.

For those hood dogs you gotta hit'em with a two pronged approach:

First - Arm yourself with two of these bad boys: one on each arm.

images

Second: you gotta post up with the "Party Hard" defense. They'll respect your swagger and recognize the impenetrable nature of your defense.

tenor.gif

I would get something akin to a trench knife if I thought I would fight a dog. Maybe two trench knives.

LOL! I was thinking this same thing, mainly because I am not a knife fighting type AT ALL. No training, no desire to use a knife defensively, etc.

But my thinking was along the lines of how I would fight off a dog or pig or cougar or whatever if all I had available to me was a knife.

What would make more damage out of my instinctive defensive moves? Yeah, brass knuckles would add to a punch maneuver and still offer a blade???

My thinking is one of those "Pikal" type jobbies that you would use in a reverse grip. Maybe that would work.

TOPS makes a new one called the Unzipper. It looks like it might help my untrained panic flailings be more effective.

Well, shotgun has been rejected, short hewing spear rejected, SMATCHET! not even a reaction. All I can suggest at this point is an Opinel N°13. Longest reach in the shortest package, looks great next to the pit at a Texas barbecue, and that beechwood polishes up nice for carry at church. Just the purposeful unfolding and locking of the thing will make a dog reconsider his options!

After this, I'm out of ideas. Time to make breakfast and then work horses.

Zieg

How about two of you with two trench knives apiece and I'll take bets on the results!

Zieg

Last edited:

Yes, I can thank marijuana growers and paranoid preppers. For example, I've been around 'protective' labs before but, never outright aggressive labs.

The Marijuana growers think aggressive dogs will keep people away but, in reality, besides their smoke wafting across the public roadway, those dogs might as well be "lights and sirens" for their property!

Sometimes dominance behavior works, generally, a shovel handle will work but, with groups, you have to be careful that one doesn't circle behind you while you are occupied with their two friends in front of you.

Those and bayonets are too much like a dagger which is great for a plunge/thrust cut but not so good for slashes with fast movements. 30#~40# dogs move really fast so, swinging a shovel or thrusting a dagger is not effective unless they are attached to you with a bite they won't release.

Its funny you mention these two. I just got a couple Amazon gift cards from my mom, and these two are right at the top of the list of what I might buy. We'll see what Santa brings tomorrow first, though;)
Both are quality blades! The Becker is more refined and the stock version comes no-frills. The Condor comes with micarta and kydex but is definitely more rough around the edges quality wise...
reOImyT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back