Modern Katana-influenced sword

Here she is...

S-7 steel RC 58, 41 3/8" oal... carbon fiber twill handle with G-10 spacer, 0.262" thick, 3lb 0.5 oz, seamless carbon fiber skin over laminated bamboo scabbard...zombies beware!

mokat.jpg

mokathandle.jpg

mokatinscabbard.jpg

:D

Dude!!!!!!!!!! That is perfect. I was wondering for ever what a katana would look like updeted with modern materials and this is the perfect blend. Looks like it could be from a futuristic movie.

You made your's before you made mine?? :confused::mad:
You are forgiven! :thumbup:

Only because I needed it for the CKG show! How do you like the red G10 spacer?

BTW the Lycosa kat is close... one more grit sanding/sharpening on the blade, glued up the saya last night

I really like it. I think you're on to something...

What's the bolt through the blade for? guard? lock for the sheath?

That assembly through the ricasso is a guard (removable or can be added to) and indexes the sword in the scabbard, the hole is less than .25 in diameter and it's in the thickest, widest part of the blade... more likely to fail in the beveled part of the blade because there is way less steel there, plus the blade is S-7 so I think we're good on durability.

Traditional katana were very weak in this area owing to reduced width, though maybe this improved harmonics especially with a soft habaki... very hard to test scientifically but you don't see many traditional katana being wailed on like mine are!

Well, I don't usually care for modern materials on blades, but I have to say I like the overall simplicity and shape of the whole shebang. :thumbup:

William- You know I jest.
That Kat is so nice. What is the blade length?
I can't wait for the L Kat.

Interesting. Kind of a futuristic nambuchuko.

Yeah, uh, not even close.:eek:

Nambochuko swords are characterised by an extreme width of blade and o-kissaki....do you see either one here?

It looks nice, William, but that lack of "proper" guard/tsuba is problematic....even whaling on a blade like this, there is possibility for the hand to come in contact with target material, and a proper tsuba really helps in that case.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Interesting... I was pondering while designing this just how close to the hand you might start a cut. It would be nice to see some high frame-rate video.

I think the red throws off the design a bit. A neutral gray to match the carbon fiber pattern would look better, I think.

I like the cordage looped through the handle. Cord as jimping!

I don't like the crossguard. I would opt to remove it if it was my blade.

A kydex sheath would be better for a modern sword. Carbon fiber kydex, mmmmm...

Does the tang extend into the G10 spacer, or does it just stop there?

tang stops where g10 starts, saves some weight

My oven is not large enough for that much Kydex!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Anyone who can fit that much kydex in an oven around? Maybe someone with ties to the restaurant business?
I'm digging on this sword. Assuming this blade can handle chopping tasks (trees I'm talking here, more than bamboo/brush) I may have to save for one of these in the future...

Thanks STeven.
I hope William posts a pic of my Kat. It looks fantastic.

Back