"Modern" Kukri from HI?

Thrusting with a khuk and hitting something resistant tends to force the knife up in your hand (ie towards the spine of the knife) more than back due to the curvature. I'm pretty comfortable doing pointwork with a traditional hilt-the ring helps too-I'm not wild about the ringless hilts.

definitely would be easier to just send your khukuri to a guy who can make custom grips....also, as far as stabbing goes with a khurkuri: it is not a stabbing blade, it is a chopping and hacking blade. I don't see a situation, even defensive, where it would benefit you to stab instead of slash with your khukuri...

Last edited:
The Khukuri was not designed nor meant as a stabbing weapon. Even at close quarters, it usage is that of a lopping or slicing motion.
While some straighter khukuri lend themselves better to a stabbing motion, even they weren't meant for that tactic.

I agree that the khukuri is not designed for stabbing, but "if you've gotta stab, you've gotta stab." Really it's more likely to be an accidental stab into a log or something else hard. Or maybe a hyperactive friend picks up your khukuri when you're not expecting it, and does something that he, she and you will regret.

That's where the ring comes in for a traditional handle. It keeps your hand from sliding forward. And if your friend doesn't like the ring, so much the better. Less chance that it will be used by someone who hasn't read the safety instructions.

Most knife makers also do rehandling jobs and they are often quite affordable.

You could probably get a standard HI Kuk with the handle exactly to your taste for under 60$

worth trying...

Being extremely lucky and fortunate, I got this done for $45
Micro Bowie Rehandled Close-up.jpg

Although it doesn't really help with making stabbing any safer, I find that grinding down the ring and contouring the handle so that it's fatter near the top and slims down to a tiny waist near the pommel makes for the most comfortable handle on any knife. The simple modification makes my khukuris way more comfortable than any other knife I've handled, and I'm talking about Beckers, Swamprats, Survive! Knives, Cold Steel, Condor, Fallkniven, Mora and especially ESEE.

Although the picture doesn't give you an idea of the contouring perpendicular to the blade. If you were looking at the blade straight on, the handle has an almost egg shape taper toward the pommel, which should be fatter and flared out.

The simple modification makes my khukuris way more comfortable than any other knife I've handled, and I'm talking about Beckers, Swamprats, Survive! Knives, Cold Steel, Condor, Fallkniven, Mora and especially ESEE.

I felt very similarly until I scooped a survive GSO-10. Perfect handle ergonomics for me. Everyone's hands are different I think the key is just buying and trying as many as possible :)
IMAG1286_zpsrhhigu2d.jpg

GSO-10 looks small, KLVUK has since been modified for my old lady. And the YCS just punishes my hands but damn is she beautiful.

Kabar will be coming out with the Reinhardt Kukri sometime soon. There is a teaser on the Becker forums right now. I know that I am buying one.

Most knife makers also do rehandling jobs and they are often quite affordable.

View attachment 459679

Really? Huh, I never thought to ask.

I love the traditional khuk look and feel but I'd also like a couple khuks with more modern grips. The guy at Roningrips.com has had some nice ones with micarta, lanyard holes, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the two he has on there now.

Really? Huh, I never thought to ask.

I love the traditional khuk look and feel but I'd also like a couple khuks with more modern grips. The guy at Roningrips.com has had some nice ones with micarta, lanyard holes, etc. I'm not a huge fan of the two he has on there now.

I thought the same, when I found out someone was taking traditional blades and putting micarta handles on them, I got excited, but was then disappointed by the rather odd handle design.

Haha....I was originally wanting to get some G-10 or micarta for mine, but I saw this thread and decided to practice what I preached about being able to mod the existing handle :D
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hacks handles up. Gave my old lady's KLVUK a trim.
IMAG1387_zpsh8v3szez.jpg

Sanded
IMAG1391_zpsfhf73rxq.jpg

Decorated
IMAG1395_zpsosyfverc.jpg

Back