Modern Lambsfoot?

Weren’t you making a gunstock of some sort with Viper or Lionsteel? What happened to that one? This looks great btw.

The swayback frame would be wonderful! Count me in!
Actually, count me in for at least one, I know Mike had excellent knives.

Last edited:
A little more about the assistance granted me so far. Jack graciously picked out his best available example of a lambsfoot and sent it directly to Viper when I first approached him for consultation. He has also advised in modifying a couple of earlier renditions of the drawings. Given that there were caveats about the perceptions around the pattern history and modern assembly differences; his direction has been priceless. It would be simple to just have the factory not drill the lanyard hole in the slabs, thus leaving it more like a traditional lambsfoot. But I rather like the lanyard function, thus left it in the drawing. Possibly something we could do both ways for those that have a strong opinion.

I think we HAVE TO make it in ebony; but have not picked any slab options yet as we are still early in the process.
YES! Ebony, for sure! I like the way you think, Mike.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi folks,

A busy 24 hours for me, and I only got home a couple of hours ago, and still have work to do. I didn't post in this thread when Mike first posted, as he knows my thoughts already, and I didn't want to betray his confidence in any way (I have other images for example). Mike reached out to me at the start of the year, and while I was happy to give my thoughts and opinions, this is 100% Mike's project :)

I make no secret of my preference for more traditional patterns, but Viper make their knives a certain way, and one which seems popular amongst posters here. The only other Italian-made 'Lambsfoot' knives I've seen are made for Carl Kammerling (CK), and most are not Lambsfoot knives at all. Other cutlers, with better reputations, and higher price-tags, have also failed to understand that the Lambsfoot blade is not simply a slim Sheepsfoot. The geometry of a Lambsfoot blade is subtle, but, in my opinion makes for a uniquely versatile knife, but one which a cutler with no experience of the pattern could easily get wrong. The last thing I would want to see is Mike investing a lot of money in a Lambsfoot knife, which does not have a Lambsfoot blade. I was therefore happy to help in terms of looking at the design, giving my opinions, and sending out one of my SFOs to Italy. Here's last year's forum knife (gifted to me by Reaper AL Reaper AL ) placed directly on top of one of my Lambsfoot SFOs, the blade fits that frame quite nicely doesn't it? :)

4xmdrmy.jpg

As has happened in this thread, I made various suggestions in terms of the construction and covers of the knife, but I understand that cost factors mean that this knife will pretty much be a Lambsfoot blade on Viper's Swayback frame. As I said to Mike:

"If you simply made a Viper with a Lambsfoot blade, I think it would be a nice-looking knife, and while I think it would be a long way from a traditional Lambsfoot, I still consider the knife below a Lambsfoot knife (if an untraditional one)! ;)

4hgqd0O.jpg

For those who haven't seen it before, that's my treasured Parker Space Shuttle Knife, very kindly gifted to me by JohnDF JohnDF :)

ae2MIvM.jpg

I've never seen a Lambsfoot knife with a lanyard hole, but I've seen one with a bail, and Lambsfoot knives really come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm pleased that the Lambsfoot knife has gone from almost complete obscurity here on BF, to a well-liked and well-understood pattern, but apart from Charlie waynorth waynorth 's stunning examples, and a few customs, one generally has to look to Sheffield to obtain a contemporary example, which currently, is more miss than hit. I receive at least one enquiry a week about Lambsfoot knives, and it ails me not to be able to help folks obtain one. I did produce a series of not-for-profit SFOs a few years ago, but it was very hard work, and the manufacturer of those knives has since changed hands, and is no longer reputable in my opinion. If you can live with the modern construction, this is a great opportunity to try out a Lambsfoot knife, which I'm sure will be well-made.

Several folks have pointed out that the knife illustrated is actually a Sheepsfoot, and it is, but I think these drawings were produced before I sent a sample to Italy, and I have since commented on them to Mike. Hopefully, Viper can supply an updated image and/or sample in due course.

I hope this is a successful project, but think that those who want changes in overall size, particular covers, etc will need to moderate their expectations. Perhaps if it's successful, there'll be more :) Good luck with everything Mike :thumbsup:

Jack

I am definitely in for at least one. I like traditional, but I'm still in for whatever is decided. Handle preference is ebony, ram horn or a nice figured honey horn.

Thank you for this great idea. Can't wait to get one.
One benefit to using the swayback frame (and screw construction) - you can mix and match scales in case the new run of lambsfoot does not have your preferred material. Prefer horn? check. Amboyna burl? check. carbon fiber or micarta? check.

I'd be up for one if the handle is longer than the Viper forum knife. I let that one go. A swayback has to be at least 4" to fit my hand. Other 3.5" patterns can work OK for me, but not the swayback.

Hi folks,

A busy 24 hours for me, and I only got home a couple of hours ago, and still have work to do. I didn't post in this thread when Mike first posted, as he knows my thoughts already, and I didn't want to betray his confidence in any way (I have other images for example). Mike reached out to me at the start of the year, and while I was happy to give my thoughts and opinions, this is 100% Mike's project :)

I make no secret of my preference for more traditional patterns, but Viper make their knives a certain way, and one which seems popular amongst posters here. The only other Italian-made 'Lambsfoot' knives I've seen are made for Carl Kammerling (CK), and most are not Lambsfoot knives at all. Other cutlers, with better reputations, and higher price-tags, have also failed to understand that the Lambsfoot blade is not simply a slim Sheepsfoot. The geometry of a Lambsfoot blade is subtle, but, in my opinion makes for a uniquely versatile knife, but one which a cutler with no experience of the pattern could easily get wrong. The last thing I would want to see is Mike investing a lot of money in a Lambsfoot knife, which does not have a Lambsfoot blade. I was therefore happy to help in terms of looking at the design, giving my opinions, and sending out one of my SFOs to Italy. Here's last year's forum knife (gifted to me by Reaper AL Reaper AL ) placed directly on top of one of my Lambsfoot SFOs, the blade fits that frame quite nicely doesn't it? :)

4xmdrmy.jpg

As has happened in this thread, I made various suggestions in terms of the construction and covers of the knife, but I understand that cost factors mean that this knife will pretty much be a Lambsfoot blade on Viper's Swayback frame. As I said to Mike:

"If you simply made a Viper with a Lambsfoot blade, I think it would be a nice-looking knife, and while I think it would be a long way from a traditional Lambsfoot, I still consider the knife below a Lambsfoot knife (if an untraditional one)! ;)

4hgqd0O.jpg

For those who haven't seen it before, that's my treasured Parker Space Shuttle Knife, very kindly gifted to me by JohnDF JohnDF :)

ae2MIvM.jpg

I've never seen a Lambsfoot knife with a lanyard hole, but I've seen one with a bail, and Lambsfoot knives really come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm pleased that the Lambsfoot knife has gone from almost complete obscurity here on BF, to a well-liked and well-understood pattern, but apart from Charlie waynorth waynorth 's stunning examples, and a few customs, one generally has to look to Sheffield to obtain a contemporary example, which currently, is more miss than hit. I receive at least one enquiry a week about Lambsfoot knives, and it ails me not to be able to help folks obtain one. I did produce a series of not-for-profit SFOs a few years ago, but it was very hard work, and the manufacturer of those knives has since changed hands, and is no longer reputable in my opinion. If you can live with the modern construction, this is a great opportunity to try out a Lambsfoot knife, which I'm sure will be well-made.

Several folks have pointed out that the knife illustrated is actually a Sheepsfoot, and it is, but I think these drawings were produced before I sent a sample to Italy, and I have since commented on them to Mike. Hopefully, Viper can supply an updated image and/or sample in due course.

I hope this is a successful project, but think that those who want changes in overall size, particular covers, etc will need to moderate their expectations. Perhaps if it's successful, there'll be more :) Good luck with everything Mike :thumbsup:

Jack

While I also prefer traditionally-constructed traditional knives, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the 2020 BF knife. Viper makes a nice knife, and if they get the blade right, I think these could be great.

I hope you don’t mind, Jack, I did a quick edit on your mashup photo to see what it looked like without the extra blade.

qlDfpc2.jpg

If you go ahead with this project, count me in. I would love to add one to my lambfoot collection

For a knife that can do most anything, this sway back with a straight blade is my go to for real work. If you had a small pen blade, it would be darn near perfect!!! Lol. But I'm biased.

View attachment 1567939
GEC has been hitting home runs this year with all of the patterns they've been revisiting. It'll be a shame if we don't see the (2 blade) Hayn' Helper too! :)

As far as the lambsfoot goes, I'm all for it. Can't promise I'll get one at this point, but I hope to see them come to fruition!

I like it :thumbsup: I use a CK/Viper swayback often for fine cuts, this lambsfoot blade should compete with it, I'm sure I'll purchase at least one

I like it and see an ebony (hopefully a dark version) in my future if it's offered :thumbsup:

I would buy one!

Also instead of M390 I would love to see a modern high carbon steel like 52100 or k390. I think that would just be perfection.

Back