Modern Traditionals....;)

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while but appreciate the fact that it's walking a fine line....

I guess what I'm trying to do is get people's thoughts on makers and patterns that take the best elements of traditional knives and marry those to modern ideas, materials etc. In this 'Tactical' dominated knife period I enjoy finding knives that combine the old and new to great effect.

I'll kick things off with a couple that I'm taken with at the moment:)

10F49939-5CC6-4110-B985-5F346B91D094-1091-0000015981141E3B.jpg

Shing Knives are essentially traditional, particularly this Puffin and his Raven design. Slipjoints but with subtly modified blade shapes. The spear point on the Puffin is asymetrical, offering more point as a nice compromise. The knife can be completely dismantled to clean, adjust and replace parts. I got the knife second hand and took it apart to smooth the backspring, improving the walk. Scales come in a variety of materials, traditional and modern. Mine came with the G10 you see and some nice stag scales. Could make some more if I felt like it....

The Enzo came as a really nice kit from Brisa who manufacture Enzo knives. The Elver follows a very traditional Scandinavian knife design only in full tang and with a variety of scale options. I went for FFG, D2 (really like D2!) coupled with linen micarta scales. I've made a few knife kits, this one was nice and easy and it's proving to be a very versatile knife.

So, please, I'm keen to see some other people's examples with pic's.... (no flippers or we'll be moved for sure!)

Sam

My favorite type of knives to make are traditional fixed blades, here are a few examples.

Kephart

003-89.jpg

Nessmuk

2eaq6wi.jpg

Canadian Belt Knife

001-36.jpg

My version of the old Herters Improved Bowie (straightback model)

003-2.jpg

Nice knives guys. Hope we're not going to get more Spyderco pics posted though. We all have our favourite non-traditionals, but everything in its place...:thumbup:

Exactly what I'm talking about, I've always admired your knives.

Thanks for posting John

Sam

I really like that Canadian Belt Knife. That style has to be my favorite traditional fixed blade style.

My favorite (that I own) is this one (CRKT M4-02S)

P1010044.jpg

I'd like to see some others that were a little nicer. One made to the same quality as the couple of GECs would be very sweet.

Fingers crossed Jack....

;) I've had my eye on the Enzo knives for a while, might have to pick up a Trapper at some point in flat-ground D2. You've done a great job there.

Lovely knives JK, think the Kephart is my favourite :)

Thanks Jack,

Nice blend of old and new Woodrow. I've always thought of M4 as a modern carbon steel, lovely stuff.

Sam

I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while but appreciate the fact that it's walking a fine line....

I guess what I'm trying to do is get people's thoughts on makers and patterns that take the best elements of traditional knives and marry those to modern ideas, materials etc.

Guidelines for defining the "fine line":
Modern materials - OK - we do those anyhow.
Modern shapes - maybe.
Pocket clips - nope
thumb studs or other non-traditional opening devices - nope

(no flippers or we'll be moved for sure!)

You bet your bippy. (and points if you can ID the source of that one.)

Guidelines for defining the "fine line":
Modern materials - OK - we do those anyhow.
Modern shapes - maybe.
Pocket clips - nope
thumb studs or other non-traditional opening devices - nope

You bet your bippy. (and points if you can ID the source of that one.)

:eek: Oops.

Wouldn't the Buck 301 and 303 be perfect examples of a modern traditional?

They have synthetic scales, stainless steel bolsters and liners, stainless steel blades of good modern Bos heat treat. Yet to look at them, they are without a doubt a traditional stockman pocket knife. The Uncle Henry series of pocket knives by the late Scrade Cutlery company were modern traditionals. Your granddaddy would have recognized them in a instant, yet they were all modern materials, with delrin made to simulate stag to the point it was called staglon.

I think traditional style can be done in modern materials.

Carl.

My modern traditionals:

A single blade jack in 154 CM and white micarta (by Keith Johnson)
121124003.jpg

A small fixed blade by James Whitten in D2 and green canvas:
EJs_ladykiller1.jpg

My Huckleberry boy's knife in nifebrite acrylic (a modern material):
DecPic_008_zpsa25d19e2.jpg

The TLAR sodbuster with clipped 154CM blade and chocolate paper micarta handles:
P1030974Medium.jpg

While I have some modern modern knives, they don't belong here.

Ed J

Spot on Ed,

I particularly like the Sodbuster, it embodies my thoughts behind the thread. Namely a maker who will take a traditional pattern and bring a fresh angle to it, be it with a variation on blade shape, new materials or the ability to take the knife apart. Still the knife will always be a traditional knife.

I agree with the buck angle too Jackknife, much as I love the GEC knives I do hanker for more of theirs with good quality stainless (being in wales!)...

Sam

I guess I have a couple that would fall into the Modern Traditional category.

Ken Coats Sheepsfoot Jack with black linen micarta and ATS-34:

IMG_1714_zps20e3c9db.jpg

IMG_1612_zps8e3ead35.jpg

Mike Alsdorf Equal End with maroon micarta and 440C:

IMG_1647_zpsb98562b9.jpg

IMG_1653_zpsdc1a56ae.jpg

Back