Moderna Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by The Amazing Virginian, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Has anyone had the Moderna vaccine shots?

My sister (medical lab tech) got her second shot on Tuesday afternoon. Woke up Wednesday morning shaky, achy and nauseous. Went to work but had the dry heaves and had to go back home. Vomited when she got home, and then crashed. Spent all day today (Thursday) in bed, too. Still not 100%. She is in her 50s, but she was otherwise in tip-top health.

I think this is a problem. If this is common, then how are they going to vaccinate anyone who is already sick or in bad health - sounds like this vaccine could kill them?

Anyone here had any bad reactions like that?

2. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    My sibling (physician), otherwise healthy, got quite ill. I’m waiting for more details on the duration, extent, and which vaccine. I tend to agree with your assessment.

How was she after first injection?

3. The Amazing Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    She just had a sore arm like she whenever she gets the flu shot. But the second one really did a number on her - and I hardly ever remember her being sick or ill from anything.

4. commandertekki

commandertekki Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2013
    My sister is a nurse practitioner at UT Southwestern, where the first shot was okay, but the second shot made her nauseous and feverish. It went away the next day though. My understanding is that those who are younger tend to have a stronger immune system so can react more aggressively to the second shot. That said, it the nausea went away after two days, but the doctors can prescribe anti-nausea medication to help.

I hope your sister gets better.

The Amazing Virginian likes this.
  5. HopalongCassidy

HopalongCassidy

Sep 22, 2019
    My wife is in her 45th year of being a nurse, she’s 69.
    Got her first Moderna last week, no problems.
    She is in good health, petite, at 5’2” and 110lbs.

annr likes this.
  6. drj211

drj211 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2008
    First dose gets your body working against the virus. The body is then ready for the fight, and responds accordingly with the second dose. I know several medical providers that had a little soreness with the first dose, but a rougher time with the second dose.

7. The Amazing Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    How much is all of this being publicized by the media, physicians, the medical establishment, the government, etc.? Personally I had no idea it was like this. I know a couple of folks who actually got the Wuhan Chinese Flu and experienced less discomfort and time away from work than my sister did from the vaccine. Hope this thing works and is worth it.

Billy The Hungry and Backyard like this.
  8. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    ER RN myself. Got the Phizer and I pheel phine:D In all seriousness I got vaccinated(x2) with Phizer, and no reaction at all other then a sore arm.
    In my unscientific observations it seems that there have been more severe reactions to the Moderna after the second dose. Of course I know people that have had a pretty strong reaction after the 2nd Phizer.
    Of those people I personally know that had the reaction they said they had no regrets about getting the vaccine and would happily do it again even with the known reaction.

TAV^^ "sounds like this vaccine could kill them" seems like a opinion meant to scare/dissuade people from getting the vaccine more then help or encourage:(

9. The Amazing Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    Thank you for sharing your experiences.

But I have some serious problems with the accusations you decided to lob my way at the end of your post.

First off, why did you omit my question mark and try to turn my question into what you call "a opinion"? I asked a question. Thus the question mark. And the question was very specific to folks who are already sick or in bad health. Not broadly "people" as you put it. Instead, it was very specifically about "anyone who is already sick or in bad health."

I don't know, but is it possible that maybe folks who are "already sick or in bad health" SHOULD be dissuaded from getting this vaccine? If so, then that IS helpful. Or do you believe that everyone should get the vaccine regardless, and there is no chance there will be any grave (literally) consequences? If so, please say so, and my concerns will vanish. If not, then what are we going to do with such people - and there are millions of them? Which was my question.

Second, how can an "opinion" be "meant" to do anything? An opinion is simply what someone thinks.

Now my POST (and I think that was what you should have said - not any opinion or question itself, but the fact of it being published) was not "meant to scare people" - and I resent your accusing me of that. You don't even know me.

I get flu shots every year and every other vax that has been recommended by the medical establishment. I have personally never had any reaction to anything - not even a sore arm. Have never bought the claims that autism or a host of other things are caused by vaccinations. I am not anti-vax by any means. Far, far from it.

I am not eligible to get this vaccine yet, but when that time comes I will do further due diligence and in all likelihood get vaccinated myself. Unless I become very sick or in poor heath at that point, in which case I will do a LOT of due diligence. Given that, WTF makes you think I "meant to scare people" from doing what I most likely will do myself?

folder geek likes this.
  10. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    It's not uncommon. If the symptoms do not resolve she should contact her primary care provider. Everybody is different, I just wanted to provide some reassurance in that I've seen this quite a bit and all the folks are back to 100 percent after a few days.

folder geek likes this.
  11. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Fair response and some valid points regarding what I said.
    I'll try and respond in order of what you questioned.

1) You are correct I should not have omitted the question mark and the way I posted my comment was an accusation (not intentionally, apologies). What I should have said was--seems like a question that might scare/dissuade people, I hope that wasn't your intention?

2) I think that people should not be dissuaded from getting this vaccine if they are "already sick or in bad health". That being said if you do (or don't) have health issues and are concerned about getting this vaccine you should consult with a qualified medical provider. No I do not think that everyone should be required to get this vaccination. I wish I could say there won't be any "grave (literally) consequences". There is going to be many people that do not get vaccinated based on a variety of reasons. Those people just have to do the best they can to minimize the risk of exposure if they so choose. Hopefully if enough people get vaccinated it will decrease the risk of those that don't (get vaccinated) from getting Covid.

3) Even though opinions are "just simply what someone thinks" they can still have an effect on a person and what they think or do.

4) I don't know you but have read a lot of your posts.

5) People that are in very poor health and are sick should definitely be careful about getting the vaccine. There are certainly risks with any vaccine but if you are want to get this vaccine and feel comfortable with the risk versus the rewards go for it.

6) I do not at any point feel like I called you "anti-vax".

7) I think the part of your question "sounds like this vaccine could kill them?" is WTF caused my response. I could/should have phrased my response better.

Respect

12. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Surprisng to hear about such a reaction to a vaccine. I would have thought it rare.
    I think the media for the most part are doing a lousy job of reporting on this. I remember when the first day of vaccination in the UK brought a couple of allergic reactions people were confused because the side effects were said to be close to nil but when this happened the media then explained, oh that doesn't include allergic reactions.
    I don't know how much of it is bad reporting and how much is agenda driven to sugar coat any down side, which used to be a legitimate medical attitude not that long ago btw. Don't want this to get political so let's keep it strictly medical and where to get reliable information.
    I wish I knew a site that was open and reliable. CDC and Mayo should be. Doctor Radio on Sirius XM is, in my experience.

The Zieg likes this.
  13. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I didn't come off that way to me. Just saying what happened to someone, an expression of surprise and concern and a question whether it's normal and for more info.
    Alarmism is bad and the mod of this forum will respond to that if warranted, I'm sure.

It's natural to be concerned. My concern is NOT getting the vaccine.

willc, Mongo, The Zieg and 1 other person like this.
  14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Insipid Moniker and The Zieg like this.
  15. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    "Never mind" - Rosanne Rosannadana

16. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    My wife has had her first dose with no side effects at all. She gets her second one on Thursday so we shall see. We have been hearing lots of reports the second/last dose is a real doozy so fingers crossed..

17. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    I recall seeing quite a few stories weeks ago about some people having tough reactions to the second shot, but it was reported at the time as a small percentage, don't know if it's become more common . . .

18. The Amazing Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    She was finally feeling tip top today. Thanks for folks' comments. She was not tip top Saturday, but finally good enough to go back to work. Basically her reaction lasted four days +/-. We are all hoping like h-e-double-toothsticks that it's going to be good even against some of the newer mutation/strains. I've seen conflicting info on this - some say probably, some say probably not.

I was just pretty surprised by this. I think this kind of thing is not being publicized by "the powers that be." Or maybe I'm just watching the wrong network news shows and reading the wrong major papers. My sister also noted to me that a lot of the nurses, lab techs. etc. in the hospitals where she works (two hospitals in south Florida) are taking a pass on the vaccine, and that surprised me. Wish they could pass it to me. :)

19. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I thought those vaccines are based on RNA - there shouldn’t be anything in there to cause a feverish reaction. unless someone is allergic to one of the ingredients.
    I’m not trying to be an ass here so please don’t blast me....... but could it be a psychological reaction?

Backyard likes this.
  20. The Amazing Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    At least in my sister's case, she did not say she was feverish. Other issues, but no elevated temp of which I'm aware.

Anyway, I don't know why it would be psychological. She is not opposed to vaccines - she gets them every year for the flu (as I do) and never had any reaction to those. She is obviously not opposed to this vaccine, as she volunteered to get it.

What do you think would be the psychological mechanism here causing vomiting, shakes, etc.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.