Modification idea on the Kingfisher

BlackKnight86

Say my name, cheesers!
Hi, guys!

Got a question and wanted to get some opinions on it. Has anyone shaved off the lone finger groove on the Kingfisher's grip? Would doing something like that hurt the handling characteristics?

The groove isn't an issue for me; so this is not a necessary mod. But I have a Kingfisher to play with (got three!); and had the thought to free up the handle so I could adjust my grip anywhere along it's length. Wanted to see if anyone had tried it, and if folks thought it could be a good idea or not.

Thanks so much!

BK86

I had to look up what in the world you were talking about. I can not imagine that the handling would be much impacted on a piece like that. If you have a spare or two, give it a whirl and you can become the definitive expert. Let us know how it works out.

I have modded my Kingfisher quite a bit. I found the finger groove didn't work for me, so I sanded it down a bit, and then some more. For me and my long fingers, the handle had too much forced placement without enough width. I just used it yesterday to trim back some Orange tree and Lavendar foliage for fun, and the finger groove mod didn't interfere with the machete whipping action--the cuts were nice and snappy, the hilt didn't wander in my bare hand at all.

I did take some steel out of the handle, and that pushed the balance a bit more forward. I might add an ounce or two to the handle and leather wrap it for more width, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I have modded my Kingfisher quite a bit. I found the finger groove didn't work for me, so I sanded it down a bit, and then some more. For me and my long fingers, the handle had too much forced placement without enough width. I just used it yesterday to trim back some Orange tree and Lavendar foliage for fun, and the finger groove mod didn't interfere with the machete whipping action--the cuts were nice and snappy, the hilt didn't wander in my bare hand at all.

I did take some steel out of the handle, and that pushed the balance a bit more forward. I might add an ounce or two to the handle and leather wrap it for more width, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
Thanks! That is very helpful!

I am concerned about the width of the handle at that point as well. My alternate mod would be to replace the handle with a larger one that will effectively bury the finger groove (maybe take a little off...) and give me more grip.

Does that sound workable?

Thanks! That is very helpful!

I am concerned about the width of the handle at that point as well. My alternate mod would be to replace the handle with a larger one that will effectively bury the finger groove (maybe take a little off...) and give me more grip.

Does that sound workable?
The thing that I kept bumping into was that extending the grip down a bit with new scales meant a whole lot of of detail work to make a half-hidden tang. I find that I like having it a bit skinny on the depth so I can get a lot of whipping motion into snap cutting vegetation, it's quite economical on effort. A quarter inch more width in the slabs would lock it against my palm more,which I would like, and I can get that with leather. Your alternate mod sounds like a lot of fun to do though.

Back