Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Thank you very much! This was a very rough knife as stock. Still not perfect, some imperfections I just couldn't square away but a vast improvement IMO. Micarta is from Maker Material Supply. Just some of their standard green canvas. Here she is all finished up. Before and after. Thanks for looking!

BEFORE
View attachment 1215936

View attachment 1215937

View attachment 1215938

AFTER
View attachment 1215939

View attachment 1215940

View attachment 1215941

View attachment 1215942

View attachment 1215943

That's just a great recover.... very nicely done.

Can anyone tell me for sure what steel GEC uses on their steel bolstered 77’s and TC barlows? I’ve been told 1018 cold rolled steel, but I’m not 100%. And if so, does anyone know where to find such steel in anything smaller than 1/8”? Losing my mind here!

Can anyone tell me for sure what steel GEC uses on their steel bolstered 77’s and TC barlows? I’ve been told 1018 cold rolled steel, but I’m not 100%. And if so, does anyone know where to find such steel in anything smaller than 1/8”? Losing my mind here!
I use common nails from the hardware store and they match perfectly.

VlYS9JV.jpg

Not really a mod, more of a tip. If you have a bailed knife and want the bail to remain out of the way when your closing the blades,I found a small flat yet strong magnet is just the trick. Although on this knife the bail is stiff enough it doesn't swing freely, I put one on it anyway. But a couple knives I have if I'm closing it against my leg in a hurry sometimes the bail flips over and the blade closes on it. Not so good for the edge or the bail.:rolleyes: Just something to consider :thumbsup:

VlYS9JV.jpg

Not really a mod, more of a tip. If you have a bailed knife and want the bail to remain out of the way when your closing the blades,I found a small flat yet strong magnet is just the trick. Although on this knife the bail is stiff enough it doesn't swing freely, I put one on it anyway. But a couple knives I have if I'm closing it against my leg in a hurry sometimes the bail flips over and the blade closes on it. Not so good for the edge or the bail.:rolleyes: Just something to consider :thumbsup:
Slick trick, that :thumbsup:

Jack Black's SFO 2019 Guardian came with a very squared-off finish on the Ironwood.
It looked very nice but I didn't like the feel in-hand all that much. So I set out to fix it.
After a little sandpaper and a good oil rub-down, I'm liking the smoother profile much better.

Jack Black's SFO 2019 Guardian came with a very squared-off finish on the Ironwood.
It looked very nice but I didn't like the feel in-hand all that much. So I set out to fix it.
After a little sandpaper and a good oil rub-down, I'm liking the smoother profile much better.

That's a beautiful piece of ironwood... to me, the rounded edges expose more of the grain... gives it a "fuller" look somehow. PLUS, it fits the hand better, I'm sure.

Your wolf's coat looks even sleeker and shinier! Nice work!

I finished up this old little GEC 25 today. Cleaned up the blade and gave it a satin finish. Recovered in old 60's era linen micarta I salvaged from junk railroad battery rectifiers. She's a smooth and snappy operator now!
20191025_165811.jpg

20191025_170023.jpg

20191025_165953.jpg

Back