Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

I think some of you have seen this knife before fairly recently, pretty sure I posted it in the what knife your carrying thread a while back.

This knife has a looong history of mods with me. I first got it in late 2005, or early 2006. I think in 2006.

It was the fist traditional pocket knife that I really carried a Lot and worked a Lot. We started building our garage that summer and among other things I remember the lighting fast cuts it made opening cement bags... A highly abrasive task that never seemed to phase it.

It was made by Bear MGC, who is now Bear and Sons. Its a Damascus steel 4.125" 2 blade trapper. It was built with brass liners, nickel silver bolsters, and thick swell center burnt stag bone handles.

Within a week, at the time(and still mostly) hating thecstag look, I'd ground the stag down to a smooth "normal" profile, and retoasted them a light caramel.

That might have actually been my first folder modification... I was making custom fixed blades part time then, but I'm not sure exactly when I started on folder work.

Within a couple years, I'd taken it apart to rehandle it in something else. And never got around to it...

About 10 years later, I had gotten back to it after purchasing another like it that I rehandled in moose stag.

At that point I'd picked out materials, etc along the way, knew what I wanted to do, had just never had the time or gumption to do it.

Finally in 2015, I decided what the heck, and did it. Who knows, it might be somewhere in thus thread...

The saga of that build can be seen here;

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/02/slim-damascus-trapper-started/

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/04/damascus-trapper-update-2/

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/11/bear-damascus-trapper-part-3/

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/11/bear-damascus-trapper-part-4/

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/11/bear-damascus-trapper-part-5/

https://ak-adventurer.net/2015/12/13/bear-damascus-trapper-part-6/

The end product then;

20151212_040811.jpg

20151212_040816.jpg

20151212_040826.jpg

20151212_0408362.jpg

20151212_040907.jpg

20151212_040920.jpg

20151212_040928.jpg

20151212_041026.jpg

I think I've carried it five times since I built it like that. Used less. When I did it, I left it Really thick toward the back, for a tapered fatter grip, which I thought I'd like.

It was OK to grip, but not great, and turned out horrendous to pocket.

The best couple pics that show what I ended up not liking, are these I think.

20151212_040928.jpg

20151212_040747.jpg

Aaaannnnddd... where I started this time;

I carefully sawed slots in the "pins"(corby bolts thankfully!), cranked them apart, and took the sucker apart. Thankfully I have a hatred for glueing knife scales on, so no trouble there.

wp-1613363271308.jpg

The main thing I changed was hat profile;
Before;

wp-1613718088868.jpg

After;

wp-1613718088790.jpg

There was a lot to this overall, but I'll save you the (semi)step by step pics, unless someone wants me to post them here...

I had to lathe modify new bolts/pins for it, and one old one, and a custom threaded pivot spacer for one that was too short.

Cut and filed the longer bolster to match its mate and fit scales back to also match.

Built fiber spacers up to fill the gap left between scales and bolster... Was super careful but when I got to assembly found I still had a gap after fine sanding the fit... cheated and used a colored epoxy like filler(Minwax wood filler!). Re fit the bolts, cut and ground smooth, hand sanded everything to 220.

wp-1613718088658.jpg

Need a clean buffing wheel, will set that up and buff the bolsters to high gloss... Maybe. Momeday. ;)

its a lot cleaner of a build now, friendlier in hand and pocket.

Its a much better grip, still thicker than a single blade trapper would be, it feels like a slightly thick two blade folder, or a thin fixed blade. And it basically disappears in pocket.

Maybe after about 15 years, I might get to carry it again. :)

More detail pics of the process and a little more information can be found here;

https://ak-adventurer.net/2021/02/23/damascus-and-copper-bear-mgc-trapper-part-7/

wp-1613718088698.jpg

wp-1613718088688.jpg

(Wood filler is the thin tan lines between the bone scales and the first red spacer-color works pretty good!)

wp-1613718088678.jpg

wp-1613718088668.jpg

So after my pops gave me a case trapper for Christmas my interest in traditionals has been reignited. I have been selling off a bunch of my duplicate and used knives to fund my new obsession. (Side note... its scary to realize how much money you have in your collections when you start selling. I have actually broke even on most of the knives I sold so its been worth it clearing stuff I dont carry and buying somethings that I will.)

Over the months I have picked up two of my grail knife, the case bose stockman. The chestnut bone handled one couldnt be more perfect. Everything on it is exceptional. I grabbed a brown bone and damascus bladed version and was a bit disappointed with it when it arrived. The fit and finish of the knife (springs, grinds, handle and blades is amazing), but the blades sit in a way that made it difficult to access the sheepsfoot nail nick. I considered sending it back but everything else was fantastic. I made a bold move... I decided to take a dremel and file the kick on the spey blade and profile the spine of it to make a more spearpoint or drop point blade shape. Clearly this exposed more of the sheepsfoot blade but then the spey sat deeper and became difficult to access. Well shit... that forced me to take the dremel to the handle and create a little cutout so I had better access to the spey. I marked where I wanted the cutout with a sharpee. I then used a little grinding wheel to shape the handle and then a flapper wheel followed by a buffing wheel to bring back the finished look. Oddly I really love the knife even more. Now its truly mine, slightly customized for me by me! To be clear, for the price it cost it surely should have come PERFECT. Ide allow some leeway for variance between each knife because they’re hand built, but access to the pulls shouldnt be one of those things. Either way here are the pics of what I did...

67B2EFD8-2762-4277-B3D5-FA0AA20D5325.jpeg DF28B7C1-BCE1-44CC-BFCD-40B188AE4ED3.jpeg D411578F-86A2-4109-99C9-DF2E6D1F48C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks!
Its actually stabilized camel bone. :) And I think I'm liking the satin/brushed look on this one... They all end up that way from pocket wear anyway, just getting a jump on it here.

Even better :cool: How obtuse of me not to see it's Camel ;) Really good knife.

So, I took one of my #93 GEC Ram's Foot knives that I have always thought the color of the Mark Side Cocobolo cover is too light. Certainly lighter than my other two.

Wrq5DHU.jpg

And took a Bic Lighter to it and burned the cover. Actually had smoke rising from the cover and you can see it brought some of the sap to the surface. Rubbed some charring off the cover and I'll apply some oil to it to put some oil back in the cover. Came out nice and dark and more to my liking.

ZuZRfZT.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't leave it well enough alone so I charred the Pile Side of the Ram's Foot too. Both sides as they are now. I especially like the Pile Side. The flame/heat really opened up the grain.

reL3Nby.jpg

PMaTOKc.jpg

No, not a significant modification to the knife but this thread:eek: gives me an excuse to mess with some of my knives - kinda like a knife on a tin roof, etc..:rolleyes:

Couldn't leave it well enough alone so I charred the Pile Side of the Ram's Foot too. Both sides as they are now. I especially like the Pile Side. The flame/heat really opened up the grain.

reL3Nby.jpg

PMaTOKc.jpg

No, not a significant modification to the knife but this thread:eek: gives me an excuse to mess with some of my knives - kinda like a knife on a tin roof, etc..:rolleyes:

I like to mess with my knives too, ED. Grind, sand, polish, dye, burn them, whatever. ;) Glad you like it better.:thumbsup: That is one I wish I could have grabbed when they were around!

This one didn't get carried a lot as I didn't care much for the antique amber bone scales. Decided to try to convert them into moss green, figured I'd be relatively easy since the surface dye GEC used had pretty much the right color and intensity to make it work...

This particular green is a mix of 1part Green and 1-1/4part Yellow Fiebings Pro Oil dye

Before:
ZDhDBMc.jpg

8tzzE5n.jpg

After:
w6xRY2b.jpg

YXNADEN.jpg

Btw, does anyone knows exactly what GEC uses as a surface dye?

Last edited:
This one didn't get carried a lot as I didn't care much for the antique amber bone scales. Decided to try to convert them into moss green, figured I'd be relatively easy since the surface dye GEC used had pretty much the right color and intensity to make it work...

This particular green is a mix of 1part Green and 1-1/4part Yellow Fiebings Pro Oil dye

Before:
ZDhDBMc.jpg

8tzzE5n.jpg

After:
w6xRY2b.jpg

YXNADEN.jpg

Btw: does anyone knows exactly what GEC uses as a surface dye?
Huge improvement, great job!:thumbsup:

Before:
ZDhDBMc.jpg

8tzzE5n.jpg

After:
w6xRY2b.jpg

YXNADEN.jpg

Well done, looks great, make it yours!:cool:

So after my pops gave me a case trapper for Christmas my interest in traditionals has been reignited. I have been selling off a bunch of my duplicate and used knives to fund my new obsession. (Side note... its scary to realize how much money you have in your collections when you start selling. I have actually broke even on most of the knives I sold so its been worth it clearing stuff I dont carry and buying somethings that I will.)

Over the months I have picked up two of my grail knife, the case bose stockman. The chestnut bone handled one couldnt be more perfect. Everything on it is exceptional. I grabbed a brown bone and damascus bladed version and was a bit disappointed with it when it arrived. The fit and finish of the knife (springs, grinds, handle and blades is amazing), but the blades sit in a way that made it difficult to access the sheepsfoot nail nick. I considered sending it back but everything else was fantastic. I made a bold move... I decided to take a dremel and file the kick on the spey blade and profile the spine of it to make a more spearpoint or drop point blade shape. Clearly this exposed more of the sheepsfoot blade but then the spey sat deeper and became difficult to access. Well shit... that forced me to take the dremel to the handle and create a little cutout so I had better access to the spey. I marked where I wanted the cutout with a sharpee. I then used a little grinding wheel to shape the handle and then a flapper wheel followed by a buffing wheel to bring back the finished look. Oddly I really love the knife even more. Now its truly mine, slightly customized for me by me! To be clear, for the price it cost it surely should have come PERFECT. Ide allow some leeway for variance between each knife because they’re hand built, but access to the pulls shouldnt be one of those things. Either way here are the pics of what I did...

View attachment 1516796 View attachment 1516797 View attachment 1516798
Nice mod and great job, I really like the spear profile. But dang man, put that edge on a ceramic rod and clean up those burrs! ;) Your killing me Smalls! Seriously though you'd think being a premium line the Bose line wouldn't have such burrs.

Before:
ZDhDBMc.jpg

8tzzE5n.jpg

After:
w6xRY2b.jpg

YXNADEN.jpg

Awesome!!!!
I’ve heard folks have had trouble redying due to reactions cases by the dye on 1095- rust spots and such... how’d you do it?

Back