Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

JohnDF

Gold Member
CE865E81-9806-4BF3-A1EF-FFAE7B98CB00.jpeg
That looks amazing! 🤠 :thumbsup:

I picked up a ~100 year old Jack Knife in mother of pearl.
204kqQA.jpg

8wxvT0I.jpg

"Nuthin' a little epoxy wont fix" ;)
nmeaMjR.jpg

I used clear epoxy to fill in the chips and gaps along the edges.
Znz0VE9.jpg

I ground a tip back on the main blade, too. It's going in my pocket tomorrow.
HGAk7o0.jpg
I have a similar crack in a MOP scale that I am going to try to repair. Thinking of using CA5 or epoxy depending of how clean I can get the crack. Any tip on what to polish MOP with afterwards?

r8shell

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have a similar crack in a MOP scale that I am going to try to repair. Thinking of using CA5 or epoxy depending of how clean I can get the crack. Any tip on what to polish MOP with afterwards?
I used one of those foam-core manicure buffing sticks. I decided that would be safer, not knowing if polishing compound might stain the pearl.

Good luck, and please post pics. :)👍

Last edited:

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I used one of those foam-core manicure buffing sticks. I decided that would be safer, not knowing if polishing compound might stain the pearl.

Good luck, and please post pics. :)👍

I have found that polishing/buffing compound has the magical ability to make any crack, ding, or pore fully visible after.

There's sanding sets for pen makers that go to 12,000 and give a pretty decent polish without any compounds.
View attachment 1635227 View attachment 1635228
What a wonderul lustre in the colour. I almost feel like taking a bite ;)
I have wet-papers from 4000-12000. They are on some sort of waxed canvas. A friend who was working with boat gave me some sheets. And like you showed, they can make quite the shine with some effort :)