Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

yep - had to fiddle a bit because of wood swell but its a lot easier than carvibg your ouwn handle

Here is my Case Copperhead. It was originally in smooth natural bone. I dyed it brown, did some wormgroove jigging with my Dremel tool and then dyed the wormgrooves black.
CaseCopperheadcropped.jpg

I'm somewhat of a spear point junkie.
Yet I also find myself drawn to the bullet trapper frame.
Unfortunately I'm not such a spey blade fan.
Hence the following mods to my GEC #73 and #42:

100_1922.jpg

100_1923.jpg

I really like the long slicer + short utility blade combination.
The #42 is a revelation when it comes to slicing and eating apples, and I really like how my spear point mod came out. It's my new favorite. I'm so glad that Great Eastern came up with this pattern.

I also stumbled across my #2 favorite traditional modification.
Get yourself a GEC #53 furtaker muskrat and shorten up the wharncliffe blade.
You end up with a two-bladed stockman of sorts.
The great thing about this mod is that the way the index finger sits in front of the sheepsfoot blade. The grip is way more comfortable and ergonomic than the traditional stockman sheepsfoot orientation, even with it sitting as high as it does.
I prefer the stubbier sheepsfoot blade to the large wharncliffe because I get better blade control for precise cuts.

100_1925.jpg

100_1928.jpg

-nate

Reactions: vba
A couple more "spear" point modifications.
A GEC #73 single blade and a GEC Bullnose sodbuster.
Can't say I have much use for all the belly that the blades had, but I really dig the short-ish utility oriented "spear" points.

To balance out the overall look I ground down the ends of the handles to remove some of the swell. Not that they were uncomfortable as is, I just wanted to balance out the overall aesthetic.

The #73 is a kind of a drop point and spear point hybrid. It was my first attempt at tip modification, but I like the way it turned out as evidenced by the patina starting to form up on it.

100_1930.jpg

-nate

Wow! Some really outstanding work so far. Mine probably don't compare, but you asked for it...

Colonial Scout in Autumn Gold bone
colonial7.jpg

Frankenknife with Imperial blades and horn scales.
Frankenknife1.jpg

TL-29 mod with purpleheart and brass thong hole.
DSC00578.jpg

Imperial camper mod with smooth hunter green bone
Imperialreno2.jpg

Imperialreno3.jpg

T-29 mod in smooth red bone
crimson1.jpg

TL-29 mod in Red Malee
redmallee2.jpg

TL-29 mod with reprofiled screwdriver blade in Autumn Gold, and redo into single blade
TL29proto1.jpg

protoredo1.jpg

More in next post...

Glenn

OK, a few more....

Gassed out NCCO before and after with Ebony scales
NCCO-6.jpg

NCCO14.jpg

Ring turn knife redone with smooth blue bone
ring3.jpg

Took parts from these two and turned it into this
ImpBarlow1.jpg

ImpBarlow3.jpg

TL-29 mod with Coolibah and NS thong hole
TL29-7.jpg

Boker redone with smooth amber bone and EO notches
Boker9.jpg

TL-29 mod with jigged amber bone and reprofiled screwdriver blade
Jerry5.jpg

Jerry8.jpg

OK, sorry for hogging the thread with my pics.

Glenn

Glenn, those are some spectacular mods to the TL-29's :thumbup:
I have a couple that I have been contemplating doing similar things to...Thanx for the great pics!

How bout a "How To" thread somewhere Glen. You do super nice work. I, for one, would love to see how its done.

OK, sorry for hogging the thread with my pics.

Glenn

Please, no need to apologize. 1) That's what this thread is for and 2) I'm fascinated by what you can do, and love the results. I love your color and jigging choices for each knife. They look like they're finally how they were meant to be all along, instead of old/new hybrids.

Very nicely done.

~ P.

Holy cow guys, these are terrific knives!

I wish I had such talent. The best I can do is build wristwatches from parts, the only "mods" are from different hand/dial combinations...

Holy cow guys, these are terrific knives!

I wish I had such talent. The best I can do is build wristwatches from parts, the only "mods" are from different hand/dial combinations...

Build wristwatches from parts? :eek: I wish I could do stuff like that, but it sounds like something my eyes couldn't handle...

Glenn

How bout a "How To" thread somewhere Glen. You do super nice work. I, for one, would love to see how its done.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. It's just something fun I like to do. I don't do it for money, usually just for trade.

I try to take pictures as I go, but alot of time I get caught up in the moment, and all I am left with is a before and after picture...:(

I will try to be more vigilant on upcoming projects and take more pics. I just don't know where I would post something like that.

Glenn

I have just sent an old File & Wire to Don Hanson for some blade modification. Pics when it returns.

I'm awfully psyched to see what he has done to it!

Wanted to makes sure there was at least one traditional lockback before I shared. On my Case Mako I removed the shark made the pull into a open nail nick so I can open with one hand more easily and refinished into a sheen finish on both sides...
006-6.jpg

I'm satisfied with my results but don't care to do it again! Too much work for a lazy man!
I'm adding the first one I did like this that got my hands wet...
009-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
PP, that must have been a good amount of work on that nick.

Nice mod!

Glenn

Back