Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

So I've been plotting a new project but I want to see if anyone else has done it. I just got two old Kamp Kings in the mail today. I'm cleaning one up and am going to give it to my Uncle Ed for Christmas but the other one needs a little TLC. I guess my question is, has anyone taken the time and effort to spruce one up with new covers or even adding bolsters? They are cool knives with decent carbon steel. I think it would be worth while to make one into a solid functioning tool of beauty.

So I've been plotting a new project but I want to see if anyone else has done it. I just got two old Kamp Kings in the mail today. I'm cleaning one up and am going to give it to my Uncle Ed for Christmas but the other one needs a little TLC. I guess my question is, has anyone taken the time and effort to spruce one up with new covers or even adding bolsters? They are cool knives with decent carbon steel. I think it would be worth while to make one into a solid functioning tool of beauty.

I haven't done a KampKing yet, but they are similar in nature to the Imperial shell barlows, which I have done a few, although the KampKings have more blades. Shouldn't really be that much more different, although multiblades can be tricky to get the action all dialed in properly. I'd be curious to see what you do with one.

Glennbad, as requested, here is the finished product. I'm trying to remember if it was you or not but I've seen one of these little cap lifter jacks with bolsters added and stag covers. If it was you, I'd love to see a picture of it. I've been looking through old threads trying to find a picture without success

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I've been pretty sick the past few weeks, and haven't felt up to doing much more than scrolling through some threads lately. Here are a few that I have done.

Wow Glenn, those are BAD! That last one with the stag covers is the one I was thinking about. That's awesome. I need to get some nickel silver stock and step this up a notch 😜

Recently had my Case double bladed trapper fall and it took some chips out the edges of the amber bone. Took it to my grinder and rounded all the corners off, domed the frame, reground the blades so that the main blade is a flat grind now and the spey is a thinner hollow, added half stops as well (can see that in the video) but they are not flush in the half position. I do not know how the inside of the blade-spring ration looks so did not want to push my luck. Did make everything flush in the closed position on the springs.

Photos below is after some pocket time of coarse and everything is scratched again as a well loved traditional should look like :D

df6e6971c4e9573be0e6ed66bfc4fa95.jpg

df5a5336e9960f7cb0a28f2d93951f0d.jpg

fa1b4e10abcdd0ca578829828c1c9656.jpg

73dbce15d56fe549f7f8092663d3952c.jpg

ba344810f61e9db7dfbe7b80f1369e2d.jpg

https://vimeo.com/193037060

Last edited:
That looks nice! I'm a sucker for the case trappers. It looks like it will just melt in your pocket now.

I rebuilt one a while back that was in rough shape. This is what it looked like when I got it

And this is the after. I removed the Spey blade and repaired the crack in the scale with some fiberglass resin. Then repinned the scales and gave it a dye job

That looks nice! I'm a sucker for the case trappers. It looks like it will just melt in your pocket now.

I rebuilt one a while back that was in rough shape. This is what it looked like when I got it

And this is the after. I removed the Spey blade and repaired the crack in the scale with some fiberglass resin. Then repinned the scales and gave it a dye job

Really impressive work on that well loved piece.

I love the trapper pattern. Would love of they made one in OD Micarta. If mine ever gets damaged to the extreme I will refit it with OD Micarta.

It does melt away in the pocket now. Love it.

Thanks guys. Marthinus, OD canvas would be sweet. I was actually eyeballing some case trappers last night. I'd like to get one without so much wear on the blades to rebuild.

The natural micarta is tough to keep clean while buffing. Maybe some acetone will clean it up.
GzZqPj.jpg
Ra2685.jpg

Last edited:
Ramrodmb, would you mind posting a picture of that Sailors Knife in the closed position? It looks fantastic, and I've always wondered how a Wharncliffe would sit in an EO notch. Thanks!

Ramrodmb, would you mind posting a picture of that Sailors Knife in the closed position? It looks fantastic, and I've always wondered how a Wharncliffe would sit in an EO notch. Thanks!
Thanks !
Here is a quick pic, I wil try to get a better one after work. I tried to be careful not to take any length off of the blade, and I left the kick alone. The point of the blade does sit just a hair lower than I would like it, but its pretty close to being perfect. I put the bail pin back in to plug the hole, and then noticed it didnt match the other brass pins.. Doh...
If I do the other Ebony I might try to whittle an Ebony plug to fill the hole, or maybe leave the bail intact.
2016-11-30 08.22.33.jpg
Thats tough right there! So you loose the nail nick but with the EO notch, you dont even need one. Im a lefty so i dont use the nick anyways. Thats awesome!!!
Thanks for the compliment!
Yes, I ground away just enough to get past the nail nick. But, its easy to pinch open and works just fine! :thumbup:

Mark

Thanks !
Here is a quick pic, I wil try to get a better one after work. I tried to be careful not to take any length off of the blade, and I left the kick alone. The point of the blade does sit just a hair lower than I would like it, but its pretty close to being perfect. I put the bail pin back in to plug the hole, and then noticed it didnt match the other brass pins.. Doh...
If I do the other Ebony I might try to whittle an Ebony plug to fill the hole, or maybe leave the bail intact.
View attachment 674010

Thanks for the compliment!
Yes, I ground away just enough to get past the nail nick. But, its easy to pinch open and works just fine! :thumbup:

Mark

Oh, man, that's such a good idea! I've looked at mine a hundred times wondering if I could do that, but I was worried about getting it open if I lost the nick... I might have to dig it out and destroy the collector's value!!!

Back