Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Hey Ramrodmb-ummm, I've got a knife I want to send you....:D. Beautiful beautiful work man.
Thanks, Neal

So i have been following this thread for a little while now, have been hesitant to start toying with modifying but today i said screw it. Found a pretty good deal on a Klein hawkbill and Camillus. I am new and trying to get a feel for what sort of tools/supplies would be needed to take care of a simple re-handle job. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Kind of excited to give it a go.

Nice work fellas!

Here's a Navy knife I converted to a warncliffe.

OK, I'm going to try this tonight... couple questions if you have a minute...

How did you remove the bail? I'm hesitant to grind the head off the pin, because I imagine that will trash the bail, but if that's how you did it, I'll go for it.

Also, do you have a picture looking down the spine of the knife? Looks like it'll get awfully thin at the tip... just curious to see before I break out the files

Oh, man, that's such a good idea! I've looked at mine a hundred times wondering if I could do that, but I was worried about getting it open if I lost the nick... I might have to dig it out and destroy the collector's value!!!

Thanks bud! Do it!:thumbup:

That looks fantastic, Mark! Well done!

Thanks Shawn!

Hey Ramrodmb-ummm, I've got a knife I want to send you....:D. Beautiful beautiful work man.
Thanks, Neal

Neal, Thank you! Send it on over!

Nice work Mark. :thumbup:

Thanks Bob! :thumbup:

So i have been following this thread for a little while now, have been hesitant to start toying with modifying but today i said screw it. Found a pretty good deal on a Klein hawkbill and Camillus. I am new and trying to get a feel for what sort of tools/supplies would be needed to take care of a simple re-handle job. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Kind of excited to give it a go.

Go fo it! I'm sure you will get some good advice here!

OK, I'm going to try this tonight... couple questions if you have a minute...

How did you remove the bail? I'm hesitant to grind the head off the pin, because I imagine that will trash the bail, but if that's how you did it, I'll go for it.

Also, do you have a picture looking down the spine of the knife? Looks like it'll get awfully thin at the tip... just curious to see before I break out the files

HeathH,
I did grind the head off and like you said, I had to grind into the bail a little. You might be able to reuse it if you were more careful grinding, but you do have to hit it a little.
I will get a pic of how thin the tip is, and the bail, in the morning. It gets pretty thin up there, but seems consistant with most all other warncliffes that you see.
Mark

Nah, don't sweat it sir! The tip ended up plenty thick. Here's my Ramrodded Navy in poor lighting:

20161130_213002.jpg

20161130_212914.jpg

I think I'll leave the etch on for now, I kinda like it. I also did a subtle drawn swedge that came out better than expected. Thanks for the inspiration! I love it!!

Way to go, Heath! That came out great!

This mod had me eyeing up the bail-less Natural Micarta version for longer than my wallet cared for. Thankfully, I backed away from the dealer's site just in time.

Nah, don't sweat it sir! The tip ended up plenty thick. Here's my Ramrodded Navy in poor lighting:

I think I'll leave the etch on for now, I kinda like it. I also did a subtle drawn swedge that came out better than expected. Thanks for the inspiration! I love it!!

Great job HeathH ! Looks perfect! Your swedge and pin look great! The swedge was the part I was most worried about.
Its hard to capture in a photo. I tried to get a shot of the bail too.
Mark

2016-12-01 12.39.28.jpg2016-12-01 12.40.37.jpg

Way to go, Heath! That came out great!

This mod had me eyeing up the bail-less Natural Micarta version for longer than my wallet cared for. Thankfully, I backed away from the dealer's site just in time.

Shawn, I did the same thing!
Mark

Thanks sir, the pin was definitely my biggest worry, I've never peened a pin on bone before, I was worried about cracking it but it came out ok, if not quite as nice as the machine spun pins that are on there from the factory

20161201_131503.jpg

I'd never noticed this before either but the center of the "o" on the tidioute shield is the head of the pin holding it on, very clever touch from GEC

Thanks sir, the pin was definitely my biggest worry, I've never peened a pin on bone before, I was worried about cracking it but it came out ok, if not quite as nice as the machine spun pins that are on there from the factory

20161201_131503.jpg

I'd never noticed this before either but the center of the "o" on the tidioute shield is the head of the pin holding it on, very clever touch from GEC

Ooooohhh pretty!!

cTsPHuo.jpg

wrvk6Jf.jpg

Disassembled my first knife yesterday evening. Now i am just wait ing for the materials to get it back together.

cTsPHuo.jpg

wrvk6Jf.jpg

Disassembled my first knife yesterday evening. Now i am just wait ing for the materials to get it back together.

Looking good. What sort of scales are you thinking?
185700ac01e35b58a58c5907307503c5.jpg
this is the 5th tl-29 I've refreshed and so far my favorite. This one I lightened the spring a bit. The last four have been around 8. This one is a sweet 5. I might not give this one up.

Looks great derrman79 ! Did you try the acetone?
Pattyballs, good start there ! Keep us posted.

Derrman79 I am actually thinking of going with Natural Canvas as you did. I will be honest, your knife is what made me give this a go.

Question since you have delt with the TL29 a bit, do you usually grind down the spots in the liners were the old plastic scales were mounted to? Without doing so i doubt i can get the scales to sit flush so i am assuming so.

pattyballs, I think you're going to want to place those liners on the flat of an anvil or similar and hammer them flat. Then you can sand them smooth.

Ramrod, haven't had a chance yet, but really I'm fine with it. I think it gives the rather plain handle a bit more depth.
Pattyballs, exactly as biscuit said, small hammer on a flat anvil. I flipped it over back and forth to get it flat. Be careful though, the more you bang it, the more sanding is needed to clean it up. By the way I like the natural canvas, too. I'm glad you like it. Good luck!

Derrman, Also i noticed that you added another pin in the top center of the handle. Was it just to secure the scale a bit better?

So I took in my first "customer" supplied knife to repair (never thought I'd say that!). The blades are quite warped. Any tricks to straighten them or should i just give it back. I'd hate to break someone else's stuff. I've had some bad luck with snapped blades
2niqmDb.jpg
p4FAfoZ.jpg
glX8OOp.jpg

Derrman, Also i noticed that you added another pin in the top center of the handle. Was it just to secure the scale a bit better?

Yes I drilled another hole to pin the scales. Originally, like yours, the two plastic melted sprue things held on the scales. I've seen many traditional makers used 1/16" wire to pin the scale, but all I had was 3/32" nickel silver. They look wider than that because I used a larger bit as a countersink and peened to fill it in.

Back