Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Nice work! Please remember to take before pics if you can. I like to see what they looked like before.

Sorry bout that. First is a borrowed pic but it looked exactly the same.
6a2320b2452ca299af117c9b77166287.png
99bf334b01e35b1668319d667c51c3fd.jpg
Then the basket case mentioned earlier in the thread.
f91cae0937426abf903ead4f7921b088.jpg
d2bcfc4008c586d4ee15f75890263eaa.jpg
f19a3d64d94c8696ffcee4eb74963683.jpg

I really like the looks of that copperhead!

You all have given me the guts to fix a blade on a vintage knife that wouldn't close all the way. Next step is to modify a blade. If/when I do I'll post pics. Even though I don't have anything to show I just want to say how much I enjoy seeing your various mods.

Looking for GEC 15 Huckleberry Boys knife single clip blade.

Go for it ecallahan! Careful though, it addictive.
Glenn, that was a tough one. I think it was ran over by a car or steam roller or something before it came to me. Not my best work, but the feller I fixed it for was happy.

Anyone have experience rehandling a lockback? I have an inexpensive Schrade SP3 sandwiched with the black zytel handle and L.L. Bean logo. I've got some green micarta laying around that I'd like to rehandle this blade with, but I've struggled to find any pictures of the inside of a lockback. It appears it will be mainly hollowing out the inside to fit the parts, but before I tear into the knife I was interested to see if there are any pictures out there.

I'm modding a TL-29 to be a single blade with wood scales. Everything is pinned in but i'm having a bunch of trouble getting the blace in, even while using a spring compressor. Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks a lot

Yeah what ramrod said. Sharpen it down like a pencil. That helps. Also pinch between the spring and lower 1/8" of the blade tang in a vice to line up the holes closer. Also I found that going ahead and peening the other 2 pins prior helps from twisting in the vice.
One point, I've used bocote wood once for scales and had significant shrinkage. Maybe use some thin superglue to finish. Top and bottom would be most thorough. Hope this helps.

Yeah what ramrod said. Sharpen it down like a pencil. That helps. Also pinch between the spring and lower 1/8" of the blade tang in a vice to line up the holes closer. Also I found that going ahead and peening the other 2 pins prior helps from twisting in the vice.
One point, I've used bocote wood once for scales and had significant shrinkage. Maybe use some thin superglue to finish. Top and bottom would be most thorough. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Part of the problem is that my holes for the back 2 pins arent perfectly straight because I have to drill them freehand, so the holes for the blade don't line up absolutely perfectly.

Question for you guys, as i am working on my first re handle i purchased a second Camillus TL-29. The pull on this one is extremely light, like a 1 or 2. is there any way to strengthen the pull when i am reassembling the knife? Thank you in advance.

Not that I know of. I have several extra springs if you'd be interested. The blade from the utility blade should be very close in profile also.

Can't figure out how to pm you. Send me your address and I'll mail you a few.

Private Messaging requires a paid membership. Registered members can leave a Visitor Message or send an email.

Question for you guys, as i am working on my first re handle i purchased a second Camillus TL-29. The pull on this one is extremely light, like a 1 or 2. is there any way to strengthen the pull when i am reassembling the knife? Thank you in advance.

If the tang is worn from use, then there is little that a new spring would do to strengthen the pull.

This is a Christmas present from my 9 year old son. He's very thoughtful and knew I've been going crazy over old slip joint repair. He went to my dad for help and searched antique malls and flea markets, but never found anything he liked. Dad had this one stashed away as a project never to be finished.
d4a7d8213bd56145609d75714ee88fa4.jpg
Needless to say, I was over come with sentiment and joy. My son knew that only I would be happy with a bag full of old knife parts. I also enlisted his help picking scales, filing pins, and some hand sanding. Here's how it turned out.
782ca4dbae706242642330f2e865bc41.jpg
0eb403806fbdcf7c876d7bc07be7ec93.jpg

This is a Christmas present from my 9 year old son. He's very thoughtful and knew I've been going crazy over old slip joint repair. He went to my dad for help and searched antique malls and flea markets, but never found anything he liked. Dad had this one stashed away as a project never to be finished.
d4a7d8213bd56145609d75714ee88fa4.jpg
Needless to say, I was over come with sentiment and joy. My son knew that only I would be happy with a bag full of old knife parts. I also enlisted his help picking scales, filing pins, and some hand sanding. Here's how it turned out.
782ca4dbae706242642330f2e865bc41.jpg
0eb403806fbdcf7c876d7bc07be7ec93.jpg
Wow you did a great job on that knife! You have a wonderfully thoughtful son!

Back