Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

This is a Christmas present from my 9 year old son. He's very thoughtful and knew I've been going crazy over old slip joint repair. He went to my dad for help and searched antique malls and flea markets, but never found anything he liked. Dad had this one stashed away as a project never to be finished.
d4a7d8213bd56145609d75714ee88fa4.jpg
Needless to say, I was over come with sentiment and joy. My son knew that only I would be happy with a bag full of old knife parts. I also enlisted his help picking scales, filing pins, and some hand sanding. Here's how it turned out.
782ca4dbae706242642330f2e865bc41.jpg
0eb403806fbdcf7c876d7bc07be7ec93.jpg
A fella would be hard pressed to beat a three generation knife project!
So your sayin your Son asked his grandfather ( your father) to help him get you a present and your father gave your son a knife to give to you then helped you rebuild it...yeppers that the knife of a life time!!congrats on the knife and raising a great son! Well done Sir.

Those are the best kind of presents. And everytime you look at it or use it, it will remind you of him!

Neat look. Any before pics?

Those are some really interesting colors that were brought out with the polishing. I like the look.

Wow, you took that down quite a bit, shield pocket and all. Must be a whole lot thinner now.

Wow, you took that down quite a bit, shield pocket and all. Must be a whole lot thinner now.

The shield came down pretty fast.
Unfortunately I don't have comparison pics of the thickness, but I think it's almost one third thinner now.

GEC's White Owl is a first class pen knife. I just could not warm up to it's bail. Last night after having tried fobs, lanyards and just learning to like it, it was time for the bail to go. Oh how a small change can make a world of difference. Today it's like a whole new knife, the one I've always wanted it to be.

Before (seller's pic)

After

This small modification was performed to improve the ergonomics in hand and pocket which it did. Now this little slicer reminds me of a bob-tailed cat, unique looking but the way it should be. Only complaint, I should have done this sooner.

GEC's White Owl is a first class pen knife. I just could not warm up to it's bail. Last night after having tried fobs, lanyards and just learning to like it, it was time for the bail to go. Oh how a small change can make a world of difference. Today it's like a whole new knife, the one I've always wanted it to be.

This small modification was performed to improve the ergonomics in hand and pocket which it did. Now this little slicer reminds me of a bob-tailed cat, unique looking but the way it should be. Only complaint, I should have done this sooner.

Nice!
Is there a piece of the bail left in, to close the hole?

I had a little Keen Kutter Jack and some old piano key veneers.

I sent them off to Markesharp to do his modding magic. Mail call today brought me a genuine, but guilt-free ivory handled knife! Thank you, Mark. :thumbup:

I had a little Keen Kutter Jack and some old piano key veneers.

I sent them off to Markesharp to do his modding magic. Mail call today brought me a genuine, but guilt-free ivory handled knife! Thank you, Mark. :thumbup:

Breathtaking! I've been tempted to use mastodon ivory in a project, but I'm too afraid of breaking it.

Nice!
Is there a piece of the bail left in, to close the hole?
Yes, the secondary blade pivots on the remaining piece. I have some ideas on how to hide it but it'll have to wait for a bit.

Very nice r8shell!! Looks great and re-purposing makes it even better. Good job Mark.

Back