Modifying G10 scales

Has anyone experience with G10 sculpting? I have a Lionsteel M4 with the G10 scales and honestly it's the perfect fixed blade for me except how smooth the scales are. Its exclusively a hunting and camping blade and spends a fair bit of its life wet and bloody so I'd like to add some tasteful texture to it. I haven't found any aftermarket options so I'm thinking an Anso pattern might be relatively doable with a rat tail file or maybe a dimpled pattern with a ball cutter? Love to hear some ideas or suggestions.

I scalloped this knife with a rotary tool with a grinding stone attachment. It was my first time attempting it when I did it. It’s fairly easy.
G10 cuts quickly so Im sure a file would work fine too. Hold whatever tool you’re using at an angle. You want it to cut deeper at the edge and shallower towards the middle all in one stroke.
TprlHJc.jpg

G10 is quite easy to work with. A ballcutter will work. Any file will work. A drillbit in a drillpress can give a nice result too. You can also use a dremel with a dics or stone to make a jigged bone effect.

Be aware of what G10 is. Its glassfiber with resin. Both the glassparticles as the fumes from the resin are harmfull to your lungs. Use a respirator, work in a well ventilated space. Cool the G10 with water if it gets hot.Or it wil look burned.

Good luck!

Well I decided to try the anso-ish scalloped approach with a couple rat tail files. I'm pretty happy with it. Not really the typical perfect symmetrical or offset grove look I've mostly seen, maybe I'll try for that next time. But it does what I wanted it to and that's add some traction.

VO2jUmD.jpg

9E5pc6f.jpg

Wow. That came out awesome. Looks like it should give you plenty of grip and looks good. Nice work.

Back