Molle sheath for GSO 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexromic

Gold Member
Hi , anyone with info where to get compatible molle sheath for GSO 5.1.Thanks.

Have you read my review of the GSO-5.1? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...n-to-SYKCO-511-SRKW-RatManDu-Cattaraugus-225Q

The GSO-5.1 fits the 'small' SpecOps Combat Master and similar sheaths, as well as the ESEE MOLLE-back for the ESEE-5/6. Alternatively, just loop paracord and a cord-lock through the MOLLE-loops and eyelets of the sheath.

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

Sagewood gear makes a leather sheath that is molle compatible. I just ordered one a couple of days ago.

Sagewood gear makes a leather sheath that is molle compatible. I just ordered one a couple of days ago.

Mmmmmm Me wantee.
I think I'm gonna order one of these for my 4.1, but I may hold off in the event that I pick up a 5.1 anytime soon

They just raised their prices too, apparently. Because I had the 4.1 Scout Sheath bookmarked, and it was $89.00 up until this week, now it's $99.00 :(

Any reason Survive Knifes! doesn't make a sheath for the GSO 5.1?

Also, any other kydex sheath options compatible with this knife?

Have you not read the review linked above or seen another one somewhere?? S!K does "make" a kydex sheath for the GSO-5.1, and a pretty awesome one as kydex-sheaths go, easily worth $40+. S!K contracts out much of the work that goes into making their products. They design the knives, the steel and handle-material is purchased (from US makers/suppliers), sent out for cutting & grinding and HT, is the stonewash and coating also done elsewhere? not sure, the sheaths are all made by Kiah here on BF (a US-citizen), final construction of each knife and final sharpening and packaging is all done in the S!K shop. They only have a few official employees.

Check around with other knife companies, you'll find that very few make their own sheaths, just as very few "make" their own steel and only some HT it themselves. Even companies as large as Buck and Benchmade usually import their sheaths from Mexico or Asia. Fallkniven and ESEE do not "make" any part of their product beyond design, it is all contracted out (Rowen makes ESEE, a Japanese company makes Fallkniven, etc.). Alot of companies are shy about revealing who does what for them, S!K has been rather open about it.

S!K relying on Kiah (still just one guy? No employees?) for all their sheaths does 2 things: 1) ensures high quality, 2) causes delays in sheath availability.

Is the final product worth it? I think so. :thumbup:

As Chiral mentioned, we usually have GSO-5.1 sheaths available. We sold out of them a couple of days ago but there are not many blades left so we left the knives in stock for those who are ok with making their own or ordering leather, etc.

There is a small batch of GSO-5.1 blades that we had written off as 2nds but they are at refinishing right now. When we get them back we will get another small batch of GSO-5.1 sheaths made.

Chiral, et al. right now the stonewash finishing is being done elsewhere, but we are working on getting that under our roof asap. The DLC coatings require a vacuum sealed chamber and lots of science so we leave that to the experts. :) P.S. Congratulations on the new addition Chiral!

Last edited:
OK, awesome. I must of just missed them.
S!K has seem to have gotten steady praise for sometime now; so I finally caved and ordered a 5.1

I'll stay posted to S!K site and check out the above link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back