Monday Sales

No the chopper is going to be doing things say an edc can't i.e chopping which requires toughness . I think that is what he means

The three qualities of steel that get compared a lot are stain resistance, wear resistance, and impact resistance (toughness).
The 20CV gives excellent stain resistance and wear resistance but does not have the toughness of 3V.
Alternatively, 3V does not have the stain resistance of 20CV.
Depending on who you ask you'll get different answers about which steel has the higher wear resistance.
I'm inclined to consider the higher carbide content 20CV to be longer wearing, but it does depend on how you use and/or sharpen your knife.
So, from my perspective, the shorter 20CV knife only gives up some toughness that you can't really take advantage of in a 4" blade.

The three qualities of steel that get compared a lot are stain resistance, wear resistance, and impact resistance (toughness).
The 20CV gives excellent stain resistance and wear resistance but does not have the toughness of 3V.
Alternatively, 3V does not have the stain resistance of 20CV.
Depending on who you ask you'll get different answers about which steel has the higher wear resistance.
I'm inclined to consider the higher carbide content 20CV to be longer wearing, but it does depend on how you use and/or sharpen your knife.
So, from my perspective, the shorter 20CV knife only gives up some toughness that you can't really take advantage of in a 4" blade.

I honestly doubt I will be able to tell the difference in actual use. My usage are usually not that heavy and I strop my knives regularly after each use.

I honestly doubt I will be able to tell the difference in actual use. My usage are usually not that heavy and I strop my knives regularly after each use.

I agree with what Fancier said... mostly. We are 100% on the same page regarding toughness (3V is better, but on that size blade you won't notice), but I think you will 100% be able to tell a difference in edge retention. This is based solely on my experience and unscientific observation, but I think that 20cv lasts holds an edge A LOT (as in 3x or more) longer than 3v. Also, 20cv is much more difficult to sharpen Stropping on "green" compound seems to do little to bring the edge back... but then again the edge lasts FOREVER so I really don't care.

YMMV, and I am not expert on steel or sharpening.

20 cv holds an edge 3 times longer than 3v ? I did not know this . What is the closest comparable steel to 20cv and or 3v ?

20 cv holds an edge 3 times longer than 3v ? I did not know this . What is the closest comparable steel to 20cv and or 3v ?

3x longer is my estimate based on personal experience. I have NO data or formal testing to back this up. That being said, the edge retention i experienced with 20cv is pretty amazing.

The only S!K I've used with 20CV was one of the 2.7's, and I wasn't exactly disappointed with the edge holding but I have seen much better from 3V S!K's. After I made a try stick with the 2.7 it would still shave but it wouldn't just wipe hairs off the arm like it would when I got it. The 5.1 I carved a spoon with had no discernible difference in the edge after I was done with that and the spoon took some more prying, splitting, etc. than the try stick. A long ways from a scientific experiment I realize, just my experience.

The preliminary notice on the production schedule indicates that 4.7s 2nds can be ordered at 5PM (PDT) on Monday.

Does anyone know if the Factory Seconds 4.7 being sold today will be Delta 3V or not? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

Probably no 3V this week based on their statement last week that 3V was in short supply and they'll have to wait until more of the existing orders are filled before they know how many are left.

Just got a response from them. Not Delta 3V. Will pass this time.

You already got a response straight from the source, but I will add or clarify that no d3v 4.7's exist right now. The 2.7's are only offered in 20cv so no delta there. The upcoming 4.1's will be d3v and every model that comes after will be delta.

Did anybody get one of the Ugly Betty 4.7 in 3V that I see an out of stock link for?

Not a name change. You missed the change in heat treat of CPM-3V. Look up Carothers knives on YouTube and watch what D3V is capable of.
Yeah, I guess I just haven't seen where SURVIVE! has started calling it D3V. They stilll seem to just call it CPM-3V with a new heat treatment from Peter's. :)

Yeah, I guess I just haven't seen where SURVIVE! has started calling it D3V. They stilll seem to just call it CPM-3V with a new heat treatment from Peter's. :)

Ah. I gotcha. So you did just miss the name change haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy showed the new etch somewhere. Pretty sure he's calling it Delta 3V as well. Can't remember where I saw that though. Instagram pic maybe?

Back