Monogram on Sheath

I've got someone who wants monogrammed initials on a sheath. Thoughts on how best to approach this? Make a pattern and use a swivel knife? (I'm not sure what other modeling tools I might need in order to pull that off.) Thanks much for the help.

You might use the alphabet stamps available from Tandy etc. or if it is a true monogram, carve it with the swivel knife and then bevel either inside the lines or outside depending on whether you want it to appear as an inlay or on top of the surface. Really quite easy, but a practice run might be advisable.

Paul

I did this quite a numbers of ears ago on a rifle case. I found a style I liked, made a pattern and then just cut and beveled. The beveling could be better but it worked. It really is not too difficult as Paul says.
476288-536b4049924b1760783b0bb57f21e6a0.jpg

Randy

Attachments

• Monogram.JPG
    Monogram.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 45
I found this incredibly challenging. And am not overall thrilled with my results. But here it is:
20171028_175751_resized.jpg

A small backgrounding stamp may have made the letters stand out a little more crisply. I've never done a design with letters so it's just a thought.

A small backgrounding stamp may have made the letters stand out a little more crisply. I've never done a design with letters so it's just a thought.
I agree. I tied to use a stamp that I had for the background, but it really wasn't the proper stamp for the application and didn't do very well. I need to invest in a few more tools...haha imagine that ;). Now that I've tried this....I'm kind of hooked on wanting to get better at it.

Tough chore! I've tried this as well and failed. Ended up ordering different sizes from Tandy... I'm an okay leather tooler but a terrible leather carver. Maybe one of these days...

Todd

Amy, you might check the nearest Tandy/LF store near you for some of the free classes with emphasis on the carving classes. Swivel Knife technique is all important and you need to be learning the right way early on. Also Al Stohlman books contain some of the best printed swivel knife techniques and tips of any I've seen. Check out "Figure Carving" and "Tech tips", both by Al. There are others too. Just browse the selections. Also check out then Alphabet Craft Aids. That double R posted above is from one of those Craft Aids.
there are many to choose from.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks, Paul. I'll see if Tandy has any classes coming up--I didn't realize they offered things like that. I'll also look into the books since they sound worth investing in. Thanks for the input.

Amy

Nice feathers there.

As to the initials, I'd go with one of the embossing stamps also from Tandy. This one a fellow wanted monogram as well, two letters but talked him into just the one, which worked well as his last name started with a B and it's a Buck knife ;)

Dyed carefully around to make it two toned, not easy to do so slow and steady is key, as the dye can weep into areas you do not want it to, I warn folks if they ask for this that I can not promise a smidgen of errant dye sneaks into the wrong area.

Buck_110 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Edited to add, if that black sheath hasn't left yet, you could that small background stamp around the letters to bring more detail out, you would need to slip in a small narrow piece of steel so that you don't mash down the sheath of course, I've done that a few times when something needed just a touch up of the embossing stamp AFTER it was sewn up...hate that part but it sometimes happens, so I slide in a narrow piece of metal to act as an anvil inside the sheath....

Last edited:
Thanks, Gary. That sheath with the one letter turned out nice--thanks for sharing it. I've tried multiple times to do two-tone stuff, and have yet to pull it off. I always get bleed, no matter how careful I try to be.

The black sheath has left, and the customer was happy with it. I learned a lot from that project, and have bought a couple more tools to work with. I also plan to get those carving books that Paul recommended.

Thanks, I use a Very fine paint brush and then I cut that down even finer.
And a pair of reading glasses help on close up view

No coffee before attempting it ;)
G2

Back