Moore Maker

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Made for a company that caters to Ranchers and Cowboys, these (Queen-made, I think - or Camillus?) sodbusters have been in a small safe since acquired in 2006. Utility-grade knives, they have a simple beauty that I find quite striking. I swear there is a light that glows from within the bone handles, especially in the large one. The bone seems to have aged/mellowed from a much more plain yellow when I bought them. At the time, I wiped the knives, including the handles, with mineral oil, and put them away.
The smaller one at 3 5/8" is quite pocket-able, while the larger, at 4 3/4" might require the included holster for practical carry. The polished blades seem to go with the polished, glowing handles, and of course are known to resist corrosion better than "matte" finishes on carbon steel.

MooreMaker 1.jpg MooreMaker 2.jpg MooreMaker 3.jpg MooreMaker 4.jpg

By all means, show your Moore Makers in this thread!! Also, if anyone knows for sure who made them, please tell us!!

Last edited:
I have a large trapper from Moore Maker. It is in buffalo horn. I like it very much. Those sure are pretty.

Thanks Abby and Bo!!
Show your MooreMakers if you,ve got them!!

I've had several, but right now just have kept two, both stockmen. All the ones I've had have been very nicely made- they seem to be undervalued for some reason, maybe because they aren't a manufacturer. Pretty sure both of mine are Queen built.

#6301 burnt stag, 3⅞" from 2010
StagMooreMaker.jpg~original

#5304 burnt white jigged bone, 4⅜" from 2002
BBopen_zpsde96f3c6.jpg~original

I've only just discovered Moore Maker, somehow. It seems like they commission some quality knives!

Keep em coming, boys and girls!

At least the small sodbuster was Queen made. There was a time where all bone were made by Queen and all composite were made by Camillus. I don't remember the large sodbuster; but in the day the 3 5/8" model was the most expensive sodbuster to be found. The yearly serialized (different color each year) bone were prized by cowboys. Early on there were some serialized yellow models, as that was the only color they made. But I am thinking red was the first yearly serialized color made - and they fetch a pretty penny these days. Later they would make 250 smooth and 250 jigged of each pattern the first year it was produced and 100 each year thereafter; I don't know if this was true in the beginning.
MM5302S1995.jpg

A small Moore Maker sodbuster was one of the first slipjoints I ever bought, before I was infected with full-blown knife accumulitis.

Utility-grade knives, they have a simple beauty that I find quite striking. I swear there is a light that glows from within the bone handles, especially in the large one. The bone seems to have aged/mellowed from a much more plain yellow when I bought them. At the time, I wiped the knives, including the handles, with mineral oil, and put them away.

I agree. This is the only pic I could find. The delrin version was much cheaper, but much homelier. The choice was easy.

37086378601_e94c7b4f94_c.jpg

Also, if anyone knows for sure who made them, please tell us!!

IIRC the bone covered knives were made by Queen. The delrins by Camillus. I do not know who makes them now.

Idk if they still have any, but for awhile they carried a locking, single blade trapper style identical to CSC's Pinch model, and I believe, manufactured for them by the now defunct CSC. Sad face.
Thanks, Neal

Interesting knives folks! Thanks for showin' and tellin'!
Christian your small sodbuster has a smoothed birdseye rivet, whereas mine looks like a spun rivet in a sunk washer. I wonder of it gives us a clue as to maker??

That is why I could never be a collector, I'd lose my shirt! I never even noticed the different rivets. :(

I have no idea who made this knife. All I know is that I got it back in early 2008, late 2007, the exact date escapes me.

Rivets are flush Charlie, and the knife has what appears to be a glued shield.

I 'd love to get a small sodbuster. But never found any, so I bought this large 5214U twin lockback second because of the green bone. U for Utica? I never use it, too large and heavy for edc.
edit 2020 Some say Camillus made. Hefty but nice.

Trailboss1.jpg

Last edited:
The shield is riveted on mine. So, they were very likely made in two different places. Wonder where??:rolleyes:

Nice green bone, JP!! I can see the attraction!:D

As far as the second picture immediately above, would the style of awl be helpful in an evidentiary sense? You more than anyone would probably recognize it Charlie.
Thanks, Neal

Back