Moore Maker

A couple of trappers by Camillus for Moore Maker...
QrNS15G.jpg

A few recent additions:
A liner lock trapper 5201LL from 2016 and a mini trapper 5200 from 2000. Don’t know who made them.
The mini trapper definitely has better fit and finish. Smooth action and a flush shield.
The liner lock clip is a nail breaker and the shield is proud. However the bone on it “glows” as waynorth waynorth put it. It also feels like it’s ready to tackle any job you throw at it.
Certainly a working knife.
I’m a big fan of the trapper pattern and these are great affordable additions to the collection. I think I’ll add a Stockman next.

FB3CC33D-B4EE-417B-A922-1F68D2F61661.jpeg

I have been a user of MooreMaker knives for awhile. My experience is with the Queen made stockmans, and whittler. I started with the 5301 stockman shortly after it came out in honey jigged bone. Loved it then, carried regularly, and still do. A couple of years ago I saw the 6301, same knife in stag, available on the auction site, and just couldn't pass it up. Only recently I started carrying it, as it's been difficult to put down my original 5301, and later acquired 6302 stag stockman, 5302 reddish brown jigged bone stockman, and the 5306 brown bone whittler.

Kim and I had a lot of fun digging around in the Moore Makers at our local feed store this week. Luckily they have some new old stock and these came home with us. All NIB. 2013 Gunstock Trapper in Sambar stag (6200 GS). Kim's knife, 2013 Coffin Trapper in white bone (5301UC). She spied it and loved it. Buffalo Horn Trapper (2202). 2008 Muskrat in honey bone (5205, but someone hand wrote in a "J" after). The Gunstock and Muskrat are Queens with pinned shields. The buffalo horn Trapper is a Camillus, and the Coffin Jack should be a Utica. Quality knives all, I feel fortunate to have found them. Have posted a little more detail on the Coffin jack and the Gunstock in other threads. Will do the same with the others soon. Hoping to find a Stockman in honey bone and one of the CSC pinch knives eventually.

Some beautiful knives in this thread. From what I've been able to find, the German knives were made by Boker. Believe there were 2 patterns, and those were the only ones not made in the US. I looked at some of the Bear & Sons knives. Noticeable quality difference. Weight is different. And I picked one up with a blade that hadn't been ground.

20190615_162842 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is the Moore Maker 2202 buffalo horn knife we picked up. No date stamp on it, nothing on the box. I am so impressed with this knife. The fit and finish are beautiful. I apologize for the pics, just quick shots with my cell, and the thing is so shiny with the contrast between black and silver it's hard to shoot. Will get it with my Nikon in better light and a white cardView attachment 1147800 View attachment 1147802 someday. But. The horn just shines, the pins are flush with the handles, no gaps between the handles and bolsters. Hard to see in the pics, but the handles swell outwards on both sides where it fits in your hand. Backsprings are dead flush open and closed, both blades. Nice satin finish on the blades, good edge. Clip blade is centered, spey favors the pile side slightly but doesn't rub. Nice smooth pull on both blades. Not only was this one NIB, it had never even been out of the box. Seriously, I had to work to get the lid off. About that. This is a tale of two knives.

They had two of these. I kept the second one, because everything this knife is, the first was not. Noticeable grinding when opening both blades. Blade rub on the spey. The handles swelled on both sides where your hands fit. About 1.5 mm more on one side than the other. I can only assume that knife was made on a Monday following a 3 day weekend. Was a really pleasant surprise when I opened the box. Felt great in my pocket today.

20190619_082515.jpg 20190619_082230.jpg 20190619_082342 Rotated.jpg

Last one. This great little honey bone Muskrat, with what I would call Texas Tickler clip blades? I'm not sure, open to correction from others that know more than I. Again, just a quality little knife, and really beautiful to boot. Half the fun for us is that these knives would have probably just sat there forever. We had a blast rescuing them and cleaning them up. Muskrat going in my pocket tomorrow, and then they will have all been carried and used like they were meant to be.

20190615_161841.jpg 20190615_161911.jpg

S&M made Moore Maker 6206LL 4 1/2" single-blade Trapper. The only single-blade I've ever seen in this pattern, and the only Moore Maker S&M I've ever seen. Was advertised as SS blade, but it's not. It's either 1095 or D2. It took a fine edge, was able to cut the thinnest little slivers of foam peanut with it.

S&M Moore Maker 6206LL by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

S&M Moore Maker 6206LL by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

Here's my Moore Maker collection in its entirety.
MMGroup1.JPG MMGroup2.JPG
The large stockman with Delrin handles and a punch on the bottom is of recent manufacture, but neither the knife nor the box have a date. The tang stamp reads 3305. The box reads 3305B so I think its a Bear. It seems to be a well made knife. Good snap and no play in any of the blades. F&F is quite good with the exception that the main blade spring is slightly proud when closed. The Moore Maker stamp is quite small given the size of the tang. It is in a straight unarched line.

The smaller stockman is a 5300, has bone handles and was made in 2015. Its a very nice knife with solid snap, no blade play and excellent F&F. I believe it is a Queen. The Moore Maker tang stamped is arched.

The two lock backs are interesting. The mesquite one is a 5105MLB. The yellow bone one is a 5105ULB. The blades are different and so is the handle shape.
MMGroup4.JPG
There is no date on the Mesquite. According to Moore Maker the mesquite one is a Bear. Oddly the gentleman from Moore Maker told me Bear was the only one that had ever made these for MM. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that Canal Street had made some of these and it is almost identical to the Canal Street Pinch lockback. One difference is the CSC has a third pin at the butt end just like the yellow one above, but the mesquite only has two pins.
Here's a pic with a CSC Pinch. The blade shape and handle shape is identical between the mesquite and the CSC. The bolsters on the CSC are slightly more squared off and MM's are slightly tapered. They're really close. I don't know if MM owned the design, or if Bear bought the tooling from CSC.
PinchLBGroup1.JPG
PinchLBGroup3.JPG

In addition to the different blade and larger handles, the 5105ULB has brass liners while the other two are steel. Its dated 2013. Oddly the box bar code label says its a 5105ULb 2013 5" lockback. The 5105ULB and 2013 agree with the tang stamp, but is not 5". These are all 3.75" closed. I'm guessing the "U" might mean "Utica", but the "M" on the other one seems to indicate mesquite, so I don't know. The yellow one could be a Utica, a Bear, or maybe a Queen since it does have some really pretty yellow bone. Its got some blade play. Not too bad, but its there. Also, out of the box it had a place midway open where it got tight and very gritty. Flushing and oiling helped this tremendously. I think the f&f on the mesquite is better, but the yellow is a factory second so....The yellow one has a gator snap open and closed. If you aren't hanging on it will get away from you. Almost got one of my fingers the first time I closed it. I don't think I have any other knives with this strong of a snap.

One other thing I noticed is all the yellow knives have the same type of shield. Its smaller on the 5300, but the same design. Its flush with indented lettering.

The shield on the mesquite is proud and has raised lettering. I don't know how to tell if a shield is pinned of glued. I assume these are all glued.

They all seem like decently good knives.

One more pic just because.
PinchLBGroup4.JPG

You can tell if a knife's shield is pinned by looking inside the liner, with a magnifier and a light, for the pin!!
It is just opposite the shield of course!!:)
The beauty of organizing your knife collection is finding a knife you haven't seen for a while!! Months in this case! I am glad we already have a thread on these knives - MooreMaker!! We get to compare!!
This knife has Two pinned shields!! I thought maybe the "back" shield was covering an error, but looking through the great knives in this thread, I have seen a few more!! Maybe a place to engrave your initials??
Anyhow, here's the knife. A hefty 4"+, it has the blades of a trapper!?!
What would you call it?? An Equal-end Trapper?? A Rose by any other name!!??!!:D;)MooreM 1.jpg MooreM 2.jpg MooreM 3.jpg MooreM 4.jpg

Pretty knife, Charlie, and very similar to my very first GEC knife, a Big Jack. Since Bill was at the helm of Queen when your MM was made, one can easily see the heritage. I'd call your Moore Maker a Big Jack as well.

4GbpmU5.jpg

Back