Moose Knife Passaround Review Thread

I'm game to try the mustard...BUT that will delay the passing by a few days.
If there's someone coming up on the list who wants to do this then I will pass it on.
I'd love to give it a go tho
Tom

Ok, Tom. Take the extra time to do it. Do you have a copy of the Blade article? If not, I can scan it in and send it to you.

I'd recommend starting with a gentle, even and quick etch first. Then, after you have seen the results, do a heavier etch. Go ahead and etch it several times to get a finer, deeper finish.

Most importantly, though = tape up the guard very carefully...:eek:

That mustard will tear up the brass fast. In fact, you should probably cover the first 1/8" of the blade (starting from the guard) anyway, in case of leaking, etc.

Best tape to use is that Blue masking tape. I got mine at Home Depot. It's not as sticky as regular masking tape and won't leave a gummy residue. This is important since you will be leaving it sit for long periods of time.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Dan

p.s. mamav - hope this is o.k. with you. Tom said he'll ship it out on Tuesday.

Roger that, If you could scan and send, That'd be good :)
I'm off to get US mustard and the blue tape :)
Tom

Dan,
Would you mind sending the instructions to me, also? I'd like to try it. (Not on the moose.)

Thanks.

Thanks, Dan.

So the process is:

1) Buy $300 - $400 digital camera
2) Buy $2 bottle of mustard
3) Spend 5 cents printing the instructions
4) Free: follow the instructions

Do I have that right?

MUSTARD MOOSE!!
Well I held my breath and then started!!
I posted the process HERE
I took some poor pics, as is my custom :)
And will post them when finished.
If you all would please send me your hate mail, for ruining a beautiful knife, now. It'll be out of everyone's system by the time I post the pics :) :)
I'm really looking forward to the results :eek:
Tom

I'm really pleased and impressed with the result. :)
After washing and 4o'ng the etch is lighter than first perceived.
I'm going at it again and will leave on till I get back tonight ~ 2am est
Tom

The blade looks GREAT!
The flow from the blade to the handle just carries thru very nicely.
I did 2 treatments and maybe stop there.
I tried this on a stainless blade awaiting handle of some sort and the mustard didn't touch it ?
I'd like that blade to look like the moose blade. It rocks :)
Should I wax it before sending to Ginger on Tuesday?
If so what wax?
Car wax solid stick?
Pics to come tomorrow :)
Tom

etching doesn't work very well on stainless generally. If so, it's not stainless(sine it got a stsain and all. ;) Actually of course you can etch stainless, but tends to take longer/stronger etches, and never seen anyone do one that looked good.

Thanks etp :)
Kinda thought so, but I am a tenacious bugger
So I'll live with the startling shiny blade :)
I showed the etched Moose and the general consensus was "why the hell did you do that"
2 guys underwhelmed....
BUT I love it :) :)
They thought the shiny blade was tres kool tho
Maybe it's me...NAH
tom

Just about any wax is fine. Just don't ship it in the sheath. ;)

Gin gets the priveledge of being the first to see it as a first impression, so we'll all be waiting on pins and needles till she replies.

The important thing is to not disclose how the finish was made - when showing it to other folks. I'd wager that most - even if they didn't like it the first time - would want to see it again and again. Just to study it out. That's why damascus is so appealing - you can just look at it all day and still not see every detail.

Now where's them pics??!?!

:D

You've got me so nervous with your tutorial on knife pics that I just want to shout that my dog ate them :)
I need the early morning sun so I can catch the dew drops glistening....well that's another story. BUT you can stay with the continuation of the picture developing in your mind :)
Later
Tom
Ginger, can't wait to hear what you think about it :)
I'll be doing this to more of my knives.
I'll use a lot less than applied the first time. Just a bit placed on your finger, put on so you can hardly tell it's there and stipple with the pad of your finger
Tom

For those inquiring minds here are some pics in prep for mustard
mus1.jpg

mus2.jpg

mus3.jpg

mus41.jpg

Here is after application
amus1.jpg

amus2.jpg

amus3.jpg

amus4.jpg

Tom

Ginger, Mailed today. to ya :)
The etching seems to have faded since my application on Sunday :confused:
I didn't wax it. I went to a friends for a couple of days and ...no wax...
Can you believe it ? I couldn't :)
Tom

This is more of what I had in mind: (but I'm happy to see the result nonetheless)

attachment.php

I'd like to keep the bottom 1/2 inch or so shiny and have the rest mustard finished. I'll just grind it up a bit when it arrives back home. I like the finish though.

mamav - you'll have to give us the goods. We trust a lady's opinion round here. ;)

This wonderful round can arrived in my mailbox. Inside tucked away amongst the bubble wrap and cardboard sheath was a beautiful blade that is absolutely stunning. The mustard patina does give the entire knife continuity, as the blade blends in beautifully with the handle. I noticed the patina on my KK was a more blue and purple hued swirl than the brownish grey of the mustard stain. The finger guard is very nice although even working with slippery meat I haven't had a problem with slipping fingers with my KK. The design and inlays on the handle of the moose are very aestetically pleasing as well as very comfortable in handling. The weight of the knife surprized me, but it is comfortable to work with.(It sliced up the annoying credit card offers with ease:D )Overall it is a genuine work of art that I wouldn't hesitate to add to my collection should Pen ever make some more(Of course, it would help if I'd be a little more pesty with my cuz' in getting the buffalos):rolleyes:

Now to the kitchen to do some real work. Oh, yeah, must go to the market and get some meat:rolleyes: :D So I will let you know more after slicing and dicing for dinner.

Back