Moose Knife Passaround Review Thread

Originally posted by mamav
Oh, yeah, must go to the market and get some meat...So I will let you know more after slicing and dicing for dinner.
This is one test we all wish we could be there to enjoy...!!

Hey! I just had a thought. Hoghead should be in on this too, right? I mean, y'all do swap knives don't ya? :rolleyes:

See if you can get him to post a review too - good or bad - all good to me!

Dan

I'd like to see some of the critiques of the flaws. So let Hoghead have at it.
I only wish I could meet a Lady to swap knives with...sigh :)
Tom
Dan at the end of this passaround you're gonna have to point out the many flaws that you see. Unless they're already posted :)

Flaws???

The only thing I can see that Pen may be referring to is the clear bubble on the handle where the end of the tang is inside the handle. Or is it the miniscule gap at the front of the blade where it joins to the bolster?? If he considers those flaws he is really hard on himself. I really think this is a first rate piece of steel!!

If you get laid off at work you can definitely keep food on the table with this work!!

Pen seems to have indicated that this was a "labor of love", which usually takes a really long time and can't be duplicated well for commercial purposes. It is a lot of fun though! I can't wait to get my hands on this knife, all the reviews so far have gotten me anxious.

Bubble, I missed that.
Don't take points away from me so as to keep me in for the raffle of the Moose at the end of the passaround
Tom
OW, OW Dan stop alright I'll be good.
lol

Went to market, got 2LB sirloin, cut beautifilly with moose into small pieces, Thinly sliced onions with the moose, thinly sliced garlic with the moose, placed it all in cast iron frying pan and browned. Then added 3/4 cp, soysauce with 2TB of cornstarch dissolved in it, 3/4 cp of water and let it all simmer for 1 hour. Turned around with knife on cutting board moving back to the table, arm spazzed (stupid muscle spasms)and the knife went on the floor. Managed to put a 32nd bend in the tip. Hog straightened it out, but still is a little crinkled. Awaiting Pen's advise on next move. I am so bummed out.The knife sliced and diced beautifully and the meat put a little more blue and purple into the patina. It is really a wonderful knife and I hope I didn't ruin it so as to not be able to fix it.:(

Email sent, Gin ;)

No worries...:cool:

(I was actually more worried about your floor...:eek: )

ept777 - would you be able to straighten it out for us?

Glad nobody's too fearful to point out flaws on this one. Maybe I should offer some reward to the person that finds the most... :rolleyes:

:D

Raffle?

I doubt anyone is serious about buying this lil' knifey-doo. It needs to come home to Papa first...:D

Gimme a day to think on it. I'm leaning towards no(not that I wouldn't be willing to try, jsut don't think I'm up to it yet), but let me give it some good thought and really looking over what I have here(and maybe sneaking back to shop talk forum to do some searches on straightening blades ;) )

Originally posted by etp777
Gimme a day to think on it. I'm leaning towards no(not that I wouldn't be willing to try, jsut don't think I'm up to it yet)
If I understand Gin correctly, only the smallest part of the tip is out-of-whack. A light peening with a ball-peen hammer out to bring it back in place.

Whoever decides to do it, is fine with me. It's not a big deal as long as the rest of the folks on the list don't mind it. Just give me a holler and I'll walk you through it. A pic would help, of course. ;)

If it ends up a little non-convex, that's ok too. :D

Dan

OK, on my way back to grinder here, but sure, if no one has fixed it before it gets to me I'll fix it. If I see it and am not sure will take it down to frien'ds place(maker been working longe rthen me) and get his help on it. Still can't wait to get my hands on it, looks great in the pics.

Originally posted by pendentive
Email sent, Gin ;)

No worries...:cool:

(I was actually more worried about your floor...:eek: )

ept777 - would you be able to straighten it out for us?

Pen, the floor is ok. Actually the knife is too. Most of all glad I didn't have to take someone to the ER to have a knife surgically removed from the floor through their foot.
I was impressed with the toughness of this one. Have seen too many just snap or chip while this one took a good hit and all that was done was to bend 1/32" or less. Shows good heat treating for one thing. Good steel too! The mustard is fine. Kinda like the natural version of this. Shows the best report on a knife you can have, use, lots of use.
General impression is great. Comfortable in my hands. Ginger obviously liked it! I guess the bubble in the handle is really the only flaw. Bolster to Ricasso is good fit. Liked the edge you put on this one. Still in good shape. Gave it a light stropping.
If you want to get serious about this knifemaking thing it looks like you've got the talent to do it for sure.

Originally posted by pendentive
I doubt anyone is serious about buying this lil' knifey-doo. It needs to come home to Papa first...:D

Dan, don't sell yourself so short. :rolleyes: :p You do fine work!!!!:D :cool: :D

Dan, the tip didn't bend enough to really take a hammer to. Can't hardly see it unless you look close. Could easily fix with a stone. Just wasn't sure if how you wanted me to handle this as I coudln't reduplicate the original edge. Like I said I'm impressed with the way this blade shrugged off the hit. Good blade.

i WAS KINDA HOPIN THE BLADE WAS GONNA END UP LOOKING LIKE A KRIS WITH ALL THE WAVY !@$#^&caplocks
edges to it :) :)
This is a GREAT passaround!!
Is the bubble in the handle to act as a leveling device of some sort?
Thank GOD that the blade didn't end up in a foot. This has happened to me and probably to many of us :)
Mamav, The recipe looks very good :)
Tom

Originally posted by TOB9595
i WAS KINDA HOPIN THE BLADE WAS GONNA END UP LOOKING LIKE A KRIS WITH ALL THE WAVY !@$#^&caplocks
edges to it :) :)
This is a GREAT passaround!!
Is the bubble in the handle to act as a leveling device of some sort?
Thank GOD that the blade didn't end up in a foot. This has happened to me and probably to many of us :)
Mamav, The recipe looks very good :)
Tom
Sorry for the disappointment. I could take it to work (secretly of course as they don't allow blades over 3") and run over it with a train. That would change the shape of the blade for sure!
The bubble, I get it. The great camping, kitchen knife and bubble level. Get yours today! :D

So hoghead, Just between us, how was the recipe?
Tom
A train. Used to flatten pennies, wonder what it'd do to a blade?
:) :)

Originally posted by TOB9595
So hoghead, Just between us, how was the recipe?
Tom
A train. Used to flatten pennies, wonder what it'd do to a blade?
:) :)
Tob,
The recipe was very good. The knife is still very good. Just the last 1/32d of the tip is messed up! Easy to stone out or whatever. Will send it on to Aardvark as is so he can see the toughness of this knife.
I'm sure the train would do it in. Guaranteed. Absolutely. More than just pennies. That's still a popular thing for people to do. It works real well.

Can't wait to see it.

Cool, I'm after aardvark! Aanticipaaation...

Back