Moose Knife Passaround Review Thread

Beautiful work on sheath,a nd that's what I was thinking it should look like, though I probablydidn't phraseit right.

Very nice. :)

Didn't know it when I had it, but yeah, that's just what it needed. Makes it look a LOT sleeker. Nice work.

Originally posted by leatherman
This knife is still scary sharp!:eek: Whatever kind of heat treat you did Pen is really holding up!

Don't forget that the Moose Knife was in my hot little hands for awhile and that I fixed the bent point from the accident that Ginger had and that I also sharpened the blade after fixing the point.
It came to me duller than Ol' Roy's,(insert your favorite part of dull anatomy here);) well y'all get the idea I'm sure.:D
I told the next guy to get it to be extra careful of the edge and that although it wasn't one of my "Full Body Shiver Edges" it was fairly close.:p ;) :D

Thanks fellas! Your comments are too kind, Dan set me loose on this one and I just dug in!:D Its always scary to rip into someone els's work but Dan's leathercrafting skills are better than average so it was a breeze, just a little crooked because I couldnt glue the leather down, darn stuff kept sliding around!:p Like skinning a darn snake.

Heres a pic of the back of the sheath, forgot to add this one.....

Yvsa, thanks for showing me how its supposed to be done in the sharpening dept!!!!:eek: When I get a decent skiving knife can I send it to you for an edge treatment? your da man!:cool: Leather is the worst on keen edges, it tends to dull a good blade after a few cuts because of the silica in the hide, this knife is still slicing strips! I will shed a tear when this one goes out, I am usually a production knife kinda guy but this one has hit a cord with me......

Originally posted by leatherman
darn stuff kept sliding around!:p Like skinning a darn snake.

Heres a pic of the back of the sheath, forgot to add this one.....

Yvsa, thanks for showing me how its supposed to be done in the sharpening dept!!!!:eek: When I get a decent skiving knife can I send it to you for an edge treatment? your da man!:cool:

LM you done an excellent job on the sheath from the pix!!!!:D Me Likey.

Speaking of skinning snakes, if'en ya use a pair of scissors to cut down the belly instead of a kuh-nife it will go much easier on ya.
I learned the trick from an ol' boy out on the Morongo Rez in Banning California.:)

And you can send me any knife you want sharpened, just send the postage along to send it back.
BUT it's easy to do the same thing with a mousepad and sandpaper as that's what I used on Pen's Kuh-nife.
Just strop the hell outta it.
And then barely touch the finished edge back on a 220 grit or so paper for the final aggressive edge.:D

Surely I will be getting my new tower before too much longer. Seems as if the blackout back east as well as the Blaster worm caused lots of havoc, or at least that's what they're claiming.
I brought my disc up today to find out what was on it.
When I get my new tower I'll figger out how to open it and paste the goodies into my new one. They saved a lot more than I had even hoped!!!!:D

Lots of stropping eh? I've got the set up started with a good long piece of leather strap, and I think I have a board around here somewhere. Heh, looks like I might get caught up after all!:D

BTW the Moose knife is going out today barring anything drastic happening. I'll update the post when I get it in the mail.:(

AND! It never dulled out, that darn thing just kept on cutting! Thanks for the pass around Dan, its kinda nifty to test out a knife! Also thanks for letting me have some fun with the sheath as well, please let me know what y'all think of our little collaberation.:D

No celebrating from me until it's in my hand. :D JK, on a serious note, would you mind sending me the tracking # once you get it in the mail? My unit's mailroom is pretty bad with packages sometimes, so I need to stay on top of them to get my stuff. Thanks and I'm looking forward to it.

Done! Its on its way to its next tester....sniff sniff;) Have fun Roadruner!!!:D

babysmiles.gif
pi_bigsmile.gif

OK, I'm celebrating now. I got the notice in my mailbox a few minutes ago and the Moose knife is now in my hot little hands. All I can say is, hats off to Pendentive. You did really nice work on this blade, truly outstanding. I haven't noticed any problems that weren't noted before, and even those are quite minor. The design is stunning, I love the lines and the way it feels in my hand. leatherman, a big hand to you as well for the sheath mod, as a whole this package really works. Honest to God, if I saw this rig at a show I would pay handsomely for it. You have very real potential as a knifemaker Pen, in my not so humble opinion. Keep up the good work and be sure to share it with us!

Good to see it got to you!:D Now, go enjoy that blade! Its got a lot of use still in it, and I appreciate the kind words about my sheathwork.:)

Mmmmm. You know, this blade has undergone some serious treatment since it left Dan's hands last. Patinas and sharpnins and sheathins, oh my!

I tell ya . . . I won't be able to do much with it compared to some of the folks who've had it in their hands, and I don't know near as much as 'em either, but I sure am looking forward to having a go at this knife after Roadrunner gets through with it.

Nothing much more destructive than paper, mind you. I don't have much sharpen-fu. I really oughtta learn the sandpaper trick.

But . . . I can't wait. Whee!

Dwayne & RR - Thanks for the kind words and glad you liked the knife.

This one was just so sharp and held it's edge so well, I felt I had to share it and I'm glad I did. I love when projects take on a life of their own.

p.s. I'm back from vacation now...:D

Wow, Thursday really snuck up on me! I went on a short vacation just after I recieved this last Thursday, and regrettably did not get the opportunity to do more than fillet a few pieces of paper and touch up the edge Yvsa put on it. It's really odd; this thing will slice through paper as if it isn't even there, yet it won't shave hair. Oh well, I've got a razor but I can't slice up stuff with it, so this will do the job quite nicely :D . I think I said all I can say earlier; it's beautiful, comfortable, the sheath is great, and now sadly I must send it on. It will go out later on today Zal, I hope you enjoy it as well as I did.

Originally posted by Roadrunner
Wow,It's really odd; this thing will slice through paper as if it isn't even there, yet it won't shave hair.

Needs stropped some more. The edge is so very slightly rolled that you can't feel it with anything, as anything you touch the burr with will break through the edge without feeling it. Well, at least I know what I'm talking about whether anyone else can or not. :rolleyes: :p ;) :)

Drat--sounds like I should've signed up for one of Dan's sharpening CDs. It's coming to me with a burr and I don't have enough confidence with my nonexistant convex sharpening skills to try anything to remove it.

Ah well. Cutting paper it is! :)

Zal, just hold the knife at a pretty good angle, being sure the edge is right on the paper, and strop it on any piece of cardboard. The wee burr will come right off. Raise the back of the knife as you get to the radius of the point. You'll figure it out.:)

Back