Mora Eldris

Not many reviews of this that showed with a search.

Mora Eldris
Just got one for my Bday and have used it enough to form an impression. Mine is the "yellow" - ochre color. Pics on the net show this being anything from a dark ochre to a bright yellow - is somewhere inbetween.

Out of box not very sharp - pronounced microbevel that made it difficult to sharpen a pencil. I ground it back to the Scandi bevel angle and lightly stropped on Washboard, the edge now treetopping armhair - the steel is good quality, good HT, burr formation minimal.

Retention in the sheath is good, almost good enough for inverted carry as is but I'd get the additional hardware if that is the plan. Horizontal or upright carry no problem. Knife comes out without wrestling.

Handle is a great shape for the size - plenty of leverage and easy to choke up. I find about half the time I hold the blade like a stone tool, gripping it by the spine. It is very good for detail work and general use. It will have you wondering why most of your other knives are so big, and also answer how the heck primitive folk could have tolerated flake knives for so many thousands of years (aside from they had no choice) - it works fine. The pronounced belly does make it tougher to carve with, but makes it more useful for utility IMHO. A real carving version would have a wharncliff or perhaps a very slight belly. The knife is every bit as small as the specs - you will not think "it is bigger in person".

Overall a very handy knife, would even work well for SD should it come to that and probably a better option in that role for those who lack training than a larger knife. Pinching the lanyard hole between thumb and index finger knuckle one can pull the knife in an inverted grip, and unless the hands are huge the handle indexes perfectly in the grip.

My only gripe is the shelf formed by the "bolster" completely prevents the last 1/8" or so from ever making contact with anything but the sharp corner of a stone when the edge is being sharpened. Using a wood chisel I trimmed away some of the plastic and rubber to allow a wider angle of approach. A slight radius at the factory would be a welcome update. The edge beneath the existing surface is factory sharp - these blades must be finished entirely and then molded into the handle.

I also put a few notches at the base of the grip on the palm side and few at the belly of the grip on the finger side. I do this with all my barrel handle knives so I can index them in the dark - also makes it easier to draw the knife.

I carry most of my smaller FBs inside the belt if not inside the waistband, in the case of the Eldris, inside the belt is good enough as it keeps popping out of my waistband when I sit down anyway. Pic shows my standard no-hardware belt loop, zipper sinnet with halfhitch wrap.

I had initially thought about getting some of these for my kids for a camping/lifetime companion knife, and will probably do just that now I have gotten my hands on one. Apologies for poor pic quality.

Miller

Wxpe1oC.jpg

bKVWJ9O.jpg

mdSOCeI.jpg

zsjdr0r.jpg

Cool, great review. I may get several for the womenfolk in my life this Christmas. And one for me:thumbsup:.

I can't get my head around twice the price for half the knife on the Eldris.

I can't get my head around twice the price for half the knife on the Eldris.

I get it, but still think its worth the $ - IDK about the version with firestarter and neckknife strap kit...

I paid $24 for mine - the black one was only $22. I like 12c27 and having a smaller Mora that stays in the sheath is another plus. I have some of the 2/0 classics and they just don't like to stay put - it would be foolish to let them roll around in a backback whereas this one would be fine.

I actually made Kydex pants for a pair of 2/0's and gave them to the kids, but have been looking for a good value stainless replacement.

Many other small knives in this price range will be Hecho in China, made from Aus6 or 440a and have an afterthought for a sheath.

I get it, but why can Mora make a companion in Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel with twice the material (4.1 inch blade) in the knife for $13, and then charge twice that amount for the Eldris (2.2 inch blade)? I get why, but they would sell like hotcakes at $15, at $25 not so much. If they ever drop around the $15 mark, I would definitely pick a few up.

I get it, but why can Mora make a companion in Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel with twice the material (4.1 inch blade) in the knife for $13, and then charge twice that amount for the Eldris (2.2 inch blade)? I get why, but they would sell like hotcakes at $15, at $25 not so much. If they ever drop around the $15 mark, I would definitely pick a few up.

Hmmm, I don't have one of those (companion)...

My guess is the price on these will come down over time. I suspect the cost is on production - smaller runs. Difference in material costs is probably negligible.

Chris, the pics are linked through IMGUR, maybe an PB workaround will show em. And a few more size comparison images where I actually hold the camera steady...

101_0662_zpshwwbnnog.jpg~original

101_0660_zps5xqgoc9i.jpg~original

101_0659_zpsazq4ao7h.jpg~original

101_0658_zpsdjje9wkr.jpg~original

Thanks! Now everything loads!
It is indeed small, I like 3-4" blade though admittedly for Urban uses, 2" blade probably is enough. Nice wrap too!
Your kids gonna love it!

Alright, last pics and final (for now) commentary. While too big for an everyday neck knife this is a great small knife for belt carry. Because the blade is shorter it comes out very readily, re-sheathes easily. Is a good fit for me as I far prefer smaller FBs to folders. I did a full reset of the edge to wipe off the last of the factory Scandi, which was something of a hollow grind. 800grit Juuma and microbevel on G8 Suehiro followed by a few passes on WB. I actually used a guide to reset it as I didn't want to lose any more steel trying to get it perfect at the ferrule.

This thing is groovy!

101_0666_zps6azo5ion.jpg~original

101_0667_zpskqkiigxr.jpg~original

Nice review! I have had the green one for quite a few months now. I like it a lot. I agree with all you said. I had to reset the edge too. My only gripe is the blade shape. Too much belly. A blade like the 120 would have worked better for me but overall it is a great knife. The handle is nice and hand filling which makes hard cuts comfortable and controllable.

Sorry to revive an older thread...
Can you post instructions or a link for that cord wrap? It looks very convenient.
Also, I've been using my eldris since christmas and it's a fantastic little hiking buddy!

Great Review
Got one for my wife -she uses it as a neck knife while hiking
She loves it and it does cut great.

Thanks for the great review, I picked on up also, and will probably get several more. This is a real convenient size and shape, I agree that the sheath retention is very good also!

I read on another forum that someone had a cutaway view that showed the tang length on the Eldris. Unfortunately the photo link is bad. Anyone know of an image\link that shows the tang length on the Eldris? More curious than anything as I absolutely love the knife.

I don't think I could put a Mora Eldris to good use. Looks like a carving knife to me. Short stout blade and hand filling handle. Not for me.

But it is cute with those bright colors.

I don't think I could put a Mora Eldris to good use. Looks like a carving knife to me. Short stout blade and hand filling handle. Not for me.

But it is cute with those bright colors.

I carried mine for about 3 months strait as a city EDC. It works for much everything that an urban home owner needs to do.

But, that's likely not your point. Here's a nice review that illustrates what you can and cannot do with it from a woodsman's point of view.

Back