Morakniv...

stevekolt

Gold Member
I've recently bought a pair of Eldris', a Marberg, and a Kansbol. Just wondering what the general take is here on the Forum...

I am a fan of Mora knives. I have eleven or twelve, including a Kansbol and an Eldris. The ones that get the most use are the 612, the Companions and the Kansbol. The Garberg doesn’t interest me much. The Kansbol will do everything it can do, and the Jaakkaripuukko cuts even better.

Eldris is polarizing. Some love it some don’t. It’s excellent quality but I find the blade has too much belly for being so short. If it was sharpened on the other side it would work better for me.

Kansbol is an upgraded 2000 with sharper edges on the spine and a bit less neutral handle. My pick of the bunch you listed though. Excellent all around design.

The Garberg has my favorite profile, but that price!

Anywho...Mora is a fantastic brand and offer very good return on investment. I am a big fan of their stuff.

I use their chisel blade knife at work a lot. It’s one tough knife. I bought my kids all companions absolutely perfect for them. You get a lot for your money with mora.

Well, I don't own the 3 you listed but I love Mora. I own about 10 Moras. Most are Companion HD (carbon and SS) with a few 511 and Pro C models. I keep them in backpacks, vehicles, tackle boxes, tool boxes, etc. Great knives for the money.

I've thought about buying a Kansbol a few times. The Eldris is a little small for most of my needs. I don't see the Garberg replacing my BR Bravo 1.25 or ESEE 5 as a camp/hiking knife.

Overall, with their many models, I think Mora is the best buy for your $$ in the fixed blade market. Especially like the old laminated classic blades. Buy the smaller size laminated blade; drill a hole in a section of old broom handle. shape, stain,etc.and you have a Mora laminated to use.
Rich

Last edited:
Eldris is polarizing. Some love it some don’t. It’s excellent quality but I find the blade has too much belly for being so short. If it was sharpened on the other side it would work better for me.

A wharncliffe would be a great option for the Eldris IMO. I’ve found that style to be very useful on shorter blades.

OP, Mora in general gets a lot of respect on the forum, some grudgingly, most is not. Their style isn’t for everyone, but it’s hard to argue with their functionality and economy for most users.

Mora makes good knives, I just dont really like the synthetic handles. I like the wooden Moras though.

I too own Eldris, Garberg and Kansbol. And I would agree that Kansbol is probably my favorite, since it has full tang while maintaining a relatively lightweight. Garberg is more expensive and too handle heavy, though it's a decent knife, I felt it might have deviated from the lightweight Moras I used to know and love. Eldris is "cute", but something is off with that knife, the handle is too fat and not long enough(YMMV). For a short handy knife, I'd much rather to mod a Mora Junior myself.

For Garberg, I would highly recommend considering Condor Terrasaur as a nice alternative. Much better balance, lower cost, full tang, I think overall it's an improvement over the Garberg, though the fit and finish might a little less perfect.

I've recently bought a pair of Eldris', a Marberg, and a Kansbol. Just wondering what the general take is here on the Forum...

Morakniv gives the best value of any knife brand I can think of, for entry level knives you can't beat the quality they offer for the price point. Some of their more expensive offerings have more competition, but their quality is still top-shelf for the price and are continually recommended around here for value knives.

I carry an Eldris, it's the best neck knife I've owned so far and while I wish the blade was just a tad longer it's been incredibly useful every time I've carried it. Best handle of any neck knife I've owned too.

My Companion in Carbon gets used daily. I keep the blade oiled and keep it sharp, I've never had any trouble out of it at all. Had it for 8 years and outside of losing a little steel to sharpening it's held up to light batoning, wood carving, landscaping, unwrapping bales, and cutting bags of chicken and dog food. It's also taken apart 3 deer and countless fish.

They are a good value and I'm going to pick up another soon.

I'm a fan. Got about 6 of them. Love 'em. Only one that I wasn't keen on (and sent it back) was the Garberg. As somene else has just said, and I agree, I took the kansbol over the garberg... just felt better. Also carry the eldris. Nice cute blade. I like it, but understand that its not everyone's cuppa.

Last edited:
wife loves the 090 fishing knife in the kitchen - it does everything
my companion is easily the best value in tough fixed blade you can find
the old classic models with wood handles are also nearly perfect & 100+ year old design to boot

they use great steel all around and do a good job on the heat treatments, what's not to love?
best value out there

only opinel gives as much value (for folders instead of fixed)

They're good knives and hard to beat for the money, but they don't fit the bill for my needs.

I'm not into bushcraft, I really dislike round handle and large sheath, plus I would never buy a blade without a decent guard.

I either need something for EDC or something for chopping and stuff like that. Mora doesn't fit either of those.

Back