Moraknivs

SRWeldon

Platinum Member
Over the weekend I got a Morakniv Kansbol and Eldris. I had been looking for a knife that I could use with my ferro rod and just happened to come across a video review of both of these knives. I had always overlooked Moraknivs because when I looked at them I just thought their not really my type of knife. I can't speak for all of their models but these 2 are amazing and the price is amazing too! They just feel great in the hand. I got them in the mail Saturday and that night we had a fire, I used the Kansbol with ferro rod to start it. I have a gobspark but never really liked how the square striker felt in my hand. Just 2 truly amazing knives! I wish I would have discovered them along time ago.

Mora knives are excellent. I especially like the older laminated blades. Don't care for the plastic sheathes, easily remedied.

Moras are fantastic knives at any pricepoint, to be honest.

I have a Robust that I can't seem to kill despite my efforts. Even if I do manage to break it, I'm out about 16 bucks.

No frills but man can they work.
You're very right... I actually just broke a 511 a couple of weeks ago. I was smacking the spine with a 3 pound hammer attempting to cut cross grain on a piece of ash for an axe handle I was making. I'm out 10 bucks, I'm going to get a robust to replace it. My only thought was: "Well sh**t". It was poor judgement on my part, but I had been drinking. 🤷‍♂️

I've always wished Mora would make a "tommi" style puukko blade on a classic un-treated wooden handle.

What would be even more amazing is if they started using some aebl at a higher hrc.

Once you get past the grind, they aren't bad.
Not to argue, but what's wrong with the grind?

The edge doesn't roll or chip. I haven't found a knife task the Mora isn't quite capable of doing. From making a tent stake or whittling a trap/snare trigger, to getting a critter ready for the pan/gill/smoker or to fit in the fridge/freezer. They can scale and clean a fish, too.
(if you have to baton, it isn't a knife task.)
Super easy to get the right bevel if/when it needs sharpened as opposed to stropped; just lay the bevel flat on the stone and give it a couple swipes on each side. No accursed "micro bevel" need apply.

Moras are fantastic knives at any pricepoint, to be honest.

I have a Robust that I can't seem to kill despite my efforts. Even if I do manage to break it, I'm out about 16 bucks.

No frills but man can they work.
The robust is a beast. I like it so much I currently dont own one! I keep giving them out...5 so far lol.

If you dont like the grind, theres the kansbol which bas compound!

I keep mora companion HD’s in my tackle box. I camp from my boats several weeks of the year and have never had an issue. I’m not that easy on them either. Many times I don’t even bother bringing a nicer/beefier knife with.

I have a Mora Classic #2 and I love the thing. I grind does take some getting used to, so far it’s done a few odd jobs with no issues. I might take it camping with me which will be a better test.

So I need to resharpen my elderis and was wondering if anyone knows what degree they are sharpened to from the factory? Or if someone has resharpened theirs what degree did you use and were you happy? I'll be using a wicked edge.

I actually like the sheaths. Zip tie them in spots they might be needed. Very safe and secures the knife just fine for my tastes. And needless to say, I like the knives too.

Moraknivs are just decent tools that are meant to be used, from yardening, to camping, fishing, wood carving, and a decent part of any tradesman's toolkit. They're just really good knives for the price. The only time you're finding something better for the price is their higher end models. I've got around twenty of them myself. I use the Kansbol a lot in the yard.

Back